Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Life jackets are cool but what about 1000 hp tunnels with a piece of shit Bravo hanging on the back . Who you trying to fool?So you pass a life jacket law how do you pass a law for stupid. Stupid causes way more deaths than lack of jackets .
    Last edited by Mitch; 05-23-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Life jackets are cool but what about 1000 hp tunnels with a piece of shit Bravo hanging on the back . Who you trying to fool?So you pass a life jacket law how do you pass a law for stupid. Stupid causes way more deaths than lack of jackets .
    Almost as bad as a 18' boat with 1600HP

Laws are made for the stupid, ignorant, cheaters, or those who have more money than brains. Personally I probably fall in to at least one of those categories I'll let you decide which one.

Remember when California passed the motorcycle helmet law? There was a rash of accidents and brains all over the streets, so the geniuses in Sacramento apparently felt they had no choice but to pass a helmet law.

I can kind of see the writing on the wall. Our fearless leaders are always looking for ways to earn their keep. Passing a mandatory life jacket law for all boats is right up their alley.

For the record I am not in favor of mandatory life jackets or any law for that matter that forces me to do something I may not want to do. Hell, if I had my way it wouldn't be mandatory on a PWC. Those fools can sink or swim for all I care LOL.

But as a boater with a tunnel and 1000hp I have reconsidered my personal choice to make jackets optional apparel on my Bravo slinging vessel. From now on they will be mandatory. My new personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post

Laws are made for the stupid, ignorant, cheaters, or those who have more money than brains. Personally I probably fall in to at least one of those categories I'll let you decide which one.

Remember when California passed the motorcycle helmet law? There was a rash of accidents and brains all over the streets, so the geniuses in Sacramento apparently felt they had no choice but to pass a helmet law.

I can kind of see the writing on the wall. Our fearless leaders are always looking for ways to earn their keep. Passing a mandatory life jacket law for all boats is right up their alley.

For the record I am not in favor of mandatory life jackets or any law for that matter that forces me to do something I may not want to do. Hell, if I had my way it wouldn't be mandatory on a PWC. Those fools can sink or swim for all I care LOL.

But as a boater with a tunnel and 1000hp I have reconsidered my personal choice to make jackets optional apparel on my Bravo slinging vessel. From now on they will be mandatory. My new personal choice.
    In today's law suit happy society that is probably a good choice. That is why I hand them the jacket. If they choose not to wear it, the liability is on them. It was placed in their hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by SnoC653 View Post
    In today's law suit happy society that is probably a good choice. That is why I hand them the jacket. If they choose not to wear it, the liability is on them. It was placed in their hands.
    I'm glad you brought this up.

You as the owner and operator of the boat, in the event of an accident, whether or not you were at fault, probably stands a good chance of being sued. Especially if one of the injured passengers is not a very close friend or family member. That's always a consideration when I put people in my boat. Not that a good friend or family member would not sue, but the chances are lessened imo. I will change my driving habits depending on who is in my boat. Not that I'm reckless with friends and/or family in the boat, but I will speed it up a little. Now with someone I don't know too well or younger kids, different ballgame. I'm going to drive like a granny in her Buick on the 405

As far as getting out of a lawsuit simply because you "offered" life jackets to your passengers, I wouldn't count on it. If you're going to get sued, you're going to get sued. The lawyers will end up arguing that the jackets were old, outdated too small, too big, or not the right color for the occasion

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post

I'm glad you said 1600 and not 1500.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    I'm glad you said 1600 and not 1500.
    I had to search my mental database to make sure I didn't offend anyone here

Regulating common sense and self preservation by gov. mandate is never a good idea. There is little doubt that, eventually, there will be required boat operators permit that will be obtained by paying for a Gov. approved or taught "safety course".
    Like most things the gov requires in the name of safety, it will be a revenue generator, and branch into regs that resemble 49 CFR.

While it may seem like a good thing to "require" this or that, you just can't regulate stupid, and you can not mandate common sense.
    Case in point, Drunk driving.
    Every single person not in a coma knows it is illegal to drink and drive.
    Who here is 100% not guilty? (I know there are a few)

I had a DUI. From arrest to end 3 years later it cost me about 20k. NOT ONCE in the process was safety or dangers with drunk driving mentioned.
    Not from the LEO with his boot on my neck, the loser dyke intake officer, the judge who was running about 30 DUI cases through before noon, the court monkey who I gave $150.00 to so I could be analyzed for level of corrective counciling required to correct me, the MADD mother seminar I had to pay to attend, the 3 days of incarceration, the 3 years of SR22, etc.
    The ONLY topic ever discussed or decided during this process was how much I would pay.

Having ranted on with that, I will say that my love of fast, loud, insane looking boats is in part a conscious decision to remove myself from doing that on the street.
    Having a division 7 points earning super street Nova tended to cost me a lot in violations, so I trailered it and just raced.
    Fun for 10 seconds at a time, at about 50 bucks a second minimum.
    So I took a ride in a 5 rib Sanger one day and the light bulb came on!!!

Now we are discussing bringing the rules of commuting to the last vestige of affordable recreation and enjoyment?
    I don't think so.

"Let's make a life vest law"? Seriously?
    "Let's make a license law" Are you kidding me?

We wear our high dollar vests while under way 100% now.
    Have I pegged it without the vest? Yes I have, and I always think how foolish it was later on.
    NO ONE rides without a vest I approve of or supply.

A person that can afford a half million dollar, 150 MPH boat can do as they wish. Personally, I would have a few HP boat classes under my belt before I turned the key on such a machine. We are way past bobbers at that point.

So yeah, wear the vest or be an idiot.
    But at least own a fucking boat before trying to dictate law and regs on me and my hobby.

God I love drunk posting!!!!
    Tommy

"So as through a glass, and darkly
    The age long strife I see
    Where I fought in many guises,
    Many names, but always me."

Gen. George S Patton

My 9yo grandson is doing 70 MPH in my sig pic.

Note vest...happy?
    Yeah I got a hand on the wheel, don't freak out on me.

He knows how to hit recall on the auto meter gps and he seen that Grandma Deb did 80mph.
    He's pissed.
    Told me this summer he is going 80 or pretty much he's done visiting.
    Last edited by thatguy; 05-25-2014 at 08:31 PM.
    Tommy

"So as through a glass, and darkly
    The age long strife I see
    Where I fought in many guises,
    Many names, but always me."

Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Regulating common sense and self preservation by gov. mandate is never a good idea. There is little doubt that, eventually, there will be required boat operators permit that will be obtained by paying for a Gov. approved or taught "safety course". Like most things the gov requires in the name of safety, it will be a revenue generator, and branch into regs that resemble 49 CFR.

While it may seem like a good thing to "require" this or that, you just can't regulate stupid, and you can not mandate common sense. Case in point, Drunk driving. Every single person not in a coma knows it is illegal to drink and drive. Who here is 100% not guilty? (I know there are a few)

I had a DUI. From arrest to end 3 years later it cost me about 20k. NOT ONCE in the process was safety or dangers with drunk driving mentioned. Not from the LEO with his boot on my neck, the loser dyke intake officer, the judge who was running about 30 DUI cases through before noon, the court monkey who I gave $150.00 to so I could be analyzed for level of corrective counciling required to correct me, the MADD mother seminar I had to pay to attend, the 3 days of incarceration, the 3 years of SR22, etc. The ONLY topic ever discussed or decided during this process was how much I would pay.

Having ranted on with that, I will say that my love of fast, loud, insane looking boats is in part a conscious decision to remove myself from doing that on the street. Having a division 7 points earning super street Nova tended to cost me a lot in violations, so I trailered it and just raced. Fun for 10 seconds at a time, at about 50 bucks a second minimum. So I took a ride in a 5 rib Sanger one day and the light bulb came on!!!

Now we are discussing bringing the rules of commuting to the last vestige of affordable recreation and enjoyment? I don't think so.

"Let's make a life vest law"? Seriously? "Let's make a license law" Are you kidding me?

We wear our high dollar vests while under way 100% now. Have I pegged it without the vest? Yes I have, and I always think how foolish it was later on. NO ONE rides without a vest I approve of or supply.

A person that can afford a half million dollar, 150 MPH boat can do as they wish. Personally, I would have a few HP boat classes under my belt before I turned the key on such a machine. We are way past bobbers at that point.

So yeah, wear the vest or be an idiot.

But at least own a fucking boat before trying to dictate law and regs on me and my hobby.

God I love drunk posting!!!!
    Thank You very Much Tommy for posting the OBVIOUS!!!! All you people out there posting that dont even own boats should STFU!.... your vote doesnt and shouldnt COUNT EVER until you take the responsibility of being a boat owner!

As for what Tommy also stated - he is absolutely right in the fact that you need to follow the money! thats where this will all lead, you know it will. Manufacturers, LEOS the courts, and lawyers will make bank off this.... and thats all they care about. They dont give one shit about your safety are you kidding me?????

Boating really is the last vestige of still allowing un-adulterated "speed" as we all know it.... all of our rights for hot-rodding have been totally taken away on the streets with laws (over stupidity I know) do we really want them on the water too now? When will it end? Where will we get our thrill for speed anymore 'legally'? Will everything have to be done outside the law in the future??? Sure seems so for our kids!

As for Vic stating anything about Moto helmets and voters that DONT RIDE.... WTF? Vic do you ride? Why do any of you people think you can make rules for what I do when I ride???? CA LAW says I have to have INSURANCE to pay for my death or my injuries if in an accident (with or without a helmet on) so dont give me no shit about having to pay for my emergency services because none of you pay shit for me or any other rider.

This life jacket discussion crap is a bunch of bullshit.... STUPID should HURT!!!! If you dont wear one you DIE.... simple as that.... clean out this GENETIC POOL of garbage and you'll find life a lot easier to deal with....

sorry to be harsh....
    1975 Sanger True Flat 496BBC
    http://v-drivecalifornia.blogspot.com/

Actually I do ride. People should never assume too much. Sometimes it bites you in the ass
    Last edited by HB Vic; 06-04-2014 at 04:28 PM.