Quote Originally Posted by SnoC653 View Post
There is more to it than what has been discussed. But, there is sufficient grounds for some to be concerned. I'll go into my view at the end of this post.

Bruce the method you described was called new math back in the 60's. Remember your parents ranting about it when they tried to help you with your homework?

Is it really? While I'm not a fan of Common Core, the problem as I see it is most people don't understand what it really is. Let me start by saying while I have no kids in school (except grandkids) and my wife is a special needs pre-school teacher; I feel your pain. Correction: I felt your pain. As I mentioned above in the 60's it was new math. I would get problems marked wrong on a consistent basis for not showing my work. The answers were all right, but without showing the process the work was marked wrong. And the same is happening here. The answer is a fact. The questions aren't marked wrong because of factual deficiencies, they are marked wrong because what was being taught, the real common core if you will, was the process to get to the answer. If the process isn't used the student did not learn the lesson as assigned and taught. Therefore the question is wrong even though the factual answer presented was correct. In some of the examples shown, the student not only didn't learn the process but got the answer wrong as a result. It is immaterial that the student can use another process and generate the correct factual answer. The answer isn't being taught, the process is.

So why should our children be taught to follow the process (rules)? Surely no parent really needs to ask this? Yet rather than teaching them to work within the system, parents consistently teach that results matter more than following the rules. If you can get the right result with no consequences and put forth less effort, then all is good. We teach it by example every day. Yes our children should follow the rules, but that speed limit rule is just as inconvenient as using the new math process, so it is OK to ignore it. As long as we don't get caught and the outcome is right. And if we are caught, we complain that the rule is stupid and should be done away with, not that know we didn't follow it. In the case of common core, our kids don't have to complain that the process is stupid, their parents are doing it for them.

Now that I've expanded on what was beat into me when I was younger, let me say that teaching to the lowest standard attainable by most is plain stupidity. It's not really no child left behind, it is everyone else stop and wait. Common Core has some serious flaws. Predominantly in the areas of what is considered acceptable learning levels and the fact that it is a one size fits all program, rather than an individually measured and challenged learning environment. But, are people really willing to pay for enough teachers to teach children on an individual basis? Are they willing to put in the time and work at home that is required to help their children reach their maximum potential? And most importantly are they willing to teach their children at home that following the rules is required or there are consequences? If the education process is left up to the school to cover all this and much more, because the parents feel it is not their responsibility to do so, then Common Core is what you wind up with. Yes they may learn the factual answers, but more importantly they are taught to follow a system of complicated rules and how to apply those rules to get an acceptable answer. Face it, kids in school can't follow simple rules like dress codes, do their parents care? Does a concerned and involved parent really not have the time nor the ability to monitor what their child wears to school?

Everybody has time to complain about the solutions the "system" tries to implement to fix problems, but nobody seems to have the time to fix the problems before they become the "system's" problems.
YES IT IS ACTUALLY!!!!

While I don't take exception with teaching alternate ways to learn ANY subject I have a huge problem with only one way to teach or do anything. The whole process creates a group of followers IMO and not leaders and thinkers who are taught trained that there is more than one road to any destination. This is the point for me and I HAVE taken the time to understand this subject....thank you very much.