Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
!!
Kids in school go from parental "guidance" as you like to call it, to teacher CONTROL!!!! Conform, or fail.

This filmed back in 1992!!!! Watch it thru at least the first 6 minutes. Watch the whole thing if you can stomach it.

WARNING: Take a Pepto Bismol before you watch this...

So after watching all 59 min and 13 seconds of her talk, didn't you find that I hit most of the highlights? But why do you say the parents only get to guide their children while the schools control them? When I was a child my parents had control of me and knew what I was learning and how it was being taught. And as was pointed out on the video some students refuse to conform even then and still do today. So why does the school need to be responsible for controlling the child and what values a child is given? Could it be because the people in charge of making the rules felt there were too many people growing up with screwed up values? Could it be because they knew the parents were too lazy to do the work to instill good values? How can a parent punish a child without creating an inconvenience for themselves? You can't create a punishment without creating the need for a method to enforce said punishment and to validate that the punishment obtained the desired objective. Back when, that was called parenting. But back when, if I got in trouble at school, I was in more trouble when I got home. Now if the student goes home and states they got in trouble at school the parent goes and yells at the school for picking on their little darling. It can't be little darlings fault, so how did you fail him and why are you picking on him since it's the school's fault? Besides even if he was wrong, the school can punish him, that way the parent doesn't have to change their plans or give up their time to fix the behavior.

And yes I realize that isn't the case for most of the people on here, but as was pointed out in the video the people that are complaining about common core (goal or whatever other name you want to give it) are those whose children are above average and will most likely lose educational opportunity under the new system. Most people willing to enter a discussion about education at all, are above the average line already.

And how do we fix these problems? Keep the gov't out of education. Because as was pointed out, regardless if the person making the standard is Mother Theresa or Adolph Hitler, they have no business deciding what the standard should be for all the children's values.