Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    I always have to laugh at the people that like to ignorantly say that home schooled kids aren't socialized. The public schools push that propaganda because they LOSE MONEY when kids are home schooled. It's not about socialization, it is about money.

I always like to respond with this question: What is the socialization curriculum at public school? Oh...there isn't one? How is that? It just happens randomly while they sit next to someone in a class room or on the play ground? Dumbest crap ever spewed by fairly intelligent people. Socialization reflects the parents.

Give me an example of a home schooled kid with socialization issues, and I can give you an unlimited # of kids in public school with socialization issues.

In my experience, home schooled kids are some of the most articulate and respectful kids I have ever met.

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 314joey View Post
    I'm just glad my kids are grown, how hard is it to raise a child now, good luck to any who are.............................I pray for my grandkids every night.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyMoly View Post
    I always have to laugh at the people that like to ignorantly say that home schooled kids aren't socialized. The public schools push that propaganda because they LOSE MONEY when kids are home schooled. It's not about socialization, it is about money.

I always like to respond with this question: What is the socialization curriculum at public school? Oh...there isn't one? How is that? It just happens randomly while they sit next to someone in a class room or on the play ground? Dumbest crap ever spewed by fairly intelligent people. Socialization reflects the parents.

Give me an example of a home schooled kid with socialization issues, and I can give you an unlimited # of kids in public school with socialization issues.

In my experience, home schooled kids are some of the most articulate and respectful kids I have ever met.
    x 1000 I nominate HoleMole' for ADMIN, wait, nevermind...

Name:  holemole.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  109.8 KB
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Also, home schoolers will only have to adjust their curriculum if it is part of a public charter AND if it does not meet the minimum requirements. We aren't adjusting anything for common core. Common core is a minimum standard. The confusion is understanding what meets that standard, so many schools just adopt the common core standards.

And as far as the math, my kids learned math with a program called Math-U-See, which has some similarities to what is in common core. I watched what my kids did, and I thought "That's cheating!" LOL. Believe it or not, they do make improvements in teaching some of this stuff. Some of us learned some old school stuff, and walked up hill to school, both ways, in the snow, and without shoes. And we were grateful!!! LOL

Isn't this the socialized school system at work.................I'm just a simple man, but the way I see it there's not much discipline in schools anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by admin2 View Post
    You guys are ALL right and this is EXACTLY why we don't have political discussions here on HB. Both sides are very solid in their positions and neither is at all swayed by the others arguments regardless of how well they are articulated. Every other forum that becomes political we've seen on the internet eventually becomes a place for name calling as people become polarized in their positions and eventually resort to personal attacks, which fortunately hasn't happened here and it is very much appreciated.

I would ask that everyone please keep it civil here and we can continue to have different types of interesting subject matter with differing opinions - The alternative is to only talk about boating and we sure wouldn't want THAT on a boating forum
    I apologize if this is political. My reason for this was to try and get some insight from other parents or actual teachers. I like to think we're good parents. If I wasn't I wouldn't be here stressing over this, but I am and I'm concerned. Raising kids nowadays is tough enough with all the drugs, gangs, crappy foreseeable future...all I want is for our kids to succeed. Anytime there's a unexplained curriculum change, I feel the parents that give a crap should be included. If not for a 2nd string teachers aid, but just to feel like we're in the loop.
    Snoc has brought up some very valid points and has enlightened me more than my sons teachers or our friends that ARE actual teachers and I thank him for that.
    So I guess this is probably not the place to bring up the fact that my nephew is in 7th grade. He's had lessons in school teaching that Muslims are a peace loving group and Islam is a religion of love and peace. My nephew got in trouble for bringing the word God into the conversation. Is this part of the common core curriculum?

Oath Keeper

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Since my Bachelor's is in Psychology and I have worked a lot with high school students as both a substitute teacher and as a military recruiter who got to see their test scores as well interact with them in both group and one on one situations, I understand you don't mean me when you use the expression "ignorantly say". So since I have no allegiance to any school district and know and help several people who do home school their children, it's not propaganda to me, it's factual experience. There are more special need preschool children than the school district wants to enroll in the district where my wife teaches, so I can assure you she wouldn't mind some of her parents doing some teaching at home. But, the lack there of is why a large number of her students are her students. One example would be a non-potty trained 50+ pound four year old, and yes she has had them before. Is it really the school's responsibility to teach this subject? And from your comment about socialization, I'm sure your teachers in school never taught you how to stand in line and wait your turn? How to not talk when someone else was talking? How just because you see something that you want, it doesn't mean you can just grab it or take it or throw a tantrum until you get it? You didn't learn about privacy and the sometimes lack there of in public places? Cultural diversity and how everyone has their own special things they have to offer as individuals that we might not have? The list is large and almost endless when it comes to socialization skills that kids learn in public schools. Some are specifically taught, while others are more managed rather than taught. Cultural diversity exposure happens, teachers can give one view of it, but primarily it opens the door to conversations with parents when the kids get home. If they aren't exposed to it, they won't know what to ask about it. So public schools (private schools included) facilitate socialization skills even when they don't teach them specifically.

Also, home schoolers will only have to adjust their curriculum if it is part of a public charter AND if it does not meet the minimum requirements. We aren't adjusting anything for common core. Common core is a minimum standard. The confusion is understanding what meets that standard, so many schools just adopt the common core standards.

And as far as the math, my kids learned math with a program called Math-U-See, which has some similarities to what is in common core. I watched what my kids did, and I thought "That's cheating!" LOL. Believe it or not, they do make improvements in teaching some of this stuff. Some of us learned some old school stuff, and walked up hill to school, both ways, in the snow, and without shoes. And we were grateful!!! LOL
    I'm glad that is how it works in your state, in ours they have a curriculum produced by the state. They can teach it how they wish, but the entire curriculum is tested for compliance. And when stuff like social oppression and religious intolerance is added to the CC to be taught, how do you get around it? There are many different ways to teach any subject and no two people learn exactly the same. This is one of the fallacies of CC. It expects everyone to learn the same way. 2MM's concept of the teacher teaching all the students in the same room with tailored teaching to the student's level is a more realistic way to reach more students and do a better job teaching. But it takes more teachers in general and more teachers that care about teaching specifically. And finally it wasn't up hill both ways when I was a kid, but man was that snow deep

Quote Originally Posted by 314joey View Post
    Isn't this the socialized school system at work.................I'm just a simple man, but the way I see it there's not much discipline in schools anymore.
    Why isn't it bad parenting at work? The kids don't wait till they get to school to change into that outfit. He sluffed out the door at home dressed like that. Schools are limited as to how much discipline they can enforce. When they have to worry about being sued every time they try to enforce rules, what do you expect the schools to do? And with the government adding to the problems by telling the schools what they can and can't regulate as far as dress codes and who can use which restrooms and facilities is it any wonder why schools have problems? Again, my position is gov't should stay out of the schools.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDenton View Post
    I apologize if this is political. My reason for this was to try and get some insight from other parents or actual teachers. I like to think we're good parents. If I wasn't I wouldn't be here stressing over this, but I am and I'm concerned. Raising kids nowadays is tough enough with all the drugs, gangs, crappy foreseeable future...all I want is for our kids to succeed. Anytime there's a unexplained curriculum change, I feel the parents that give a crap should be included. If not for a 2nd string teachers aid, but just to feel like we're in the loop.
    Snoc has brought up some very valid points and has enlightened me more than my sons teachers or our friends that ARE actual teachers and I thank him for that.
    So I guess this is probably not the place to bring up the fact that my nephew is in 7th grade. He's had lessons in school teaching that Muslims are a peace loving group and Islam is a religion of love and peace. My nephew got in trouble for bringing the word God into the conversation. Is this part of the common core curriculum?

Oath Keeper
    The Muslim issue you pointed out is one of those little things they are slipping in while promoting the bigger CC issue. The concern shouldn't really be about which method they use to teach the kids, but more over what things are they mandating be taught along with the plan on to teach and test the children? CC is hugely popular with most teacher's unions as it provides a minimum standard that must be met. And that is precisely what they want, the minimum amount of work that has to be met to meet their contract. And while the bad teachers strive to reach the minimum and then stop, the good teachers that used to go well above and beyond the minimum will be brought into check with budget and administrative actions contained in the fine print.

The real problem with CC is there is no way to mandate that parents parent and work with their kids and know what is going on with their kids. Yet CC requires interactions with parents from the teachers both in the school and at the student's home (when they are first starting school for sure) interjecting potentially unwanted people into the student's home life. The CC rules will most likely change at regular intervals and will keep the school administrations in chaos. Whether that is the intended purpose or just a side effect of the political nature of CC is not really relevant to this discussion. What is important is that government is out of their lane and is creating a back door into our family values. How CC is taught shouldn't be a huge topic of discussion. What CC requires to be taught should alarm you (IMHO).
    Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel

Well, Dylan came home with an A+ on his math test today. If it wasn't for his mother sitting down and figuring it out with him he would've failed.
    From what I just read above I took this away from it. CC is not to help the kids but more to balance the teachers. A great teacher is held back and a bad teacher can maintain the minimum requirements. Sounds like a teachers union thing to not have to do performance evaluations.

Oath Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by MrDenton View Post
    Well, Dylan came home with an A+ on his math test today. If it wasn't for his mother sitting down and figuring it out with him he would've failed.
    From what I just read above I took this away from it. CC is not to help the kids but more to balance the teachers. A great teacher is held back and a bad teacher can maintain the minimum requirements. Sounds like a teachers union thing to not have to do performance evaluations.

Oath Keeper
    First and foremost, congratulate both of them on a job well done.

The union thing is the something for everyone part of it. The dumbing down of America isn't the goal, but could very easily become the effect. The intent was to give everyone a fair chance at learning by standardizing the way things are taught and establishing a minimum criteria for what constitutes a high school education. By doing this the poor school districts would in theory provide the same opportunity for their students to excel as a rich school district. While in the land of warm and fuzzy this is a great concept, holding some kids back so others can catch up is not even a near miss to an argument for promoting education. Most schools are so overrun with below standard kids that they don't have the resources to work with them and bring them up to the standard while also working with the talented and gifted kids. Guess who loses when there is a minimum which must be achieved? The average student's will be least affected by CC and the lower learners will be helped the most. The high learners will most likely be left to fend for themselves and not reach their maximum potential. Because, nobody is working to make every student the best they can be. Just meet the standard and the job is done. After all, who hangs around work and does extra work for no extra pay after the job is finished?
    Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by SnoC653 View Post

I do agree that home schooling has many advantages if the parents are willing to put in the time and effort to do the job right. Unfortunately, most people won't put forth the effort or lack the skills required to do the job right. And many home schooled children lack in social skill sets due to their isolation from their pier groups.

Most of us remember the trouble we got into and the good times we had with other kids we went to school with. Kids need time to grow and be kids without constant parental control (not to be confused with parental awareness and guidance). Integration is a critical part of the social school life and most home schooled children lack in this area.
    !!
    Kids in school go from parental "guidance" as you like to call it, to teacher CONTROL!!!! Conform, or fail.

This filmed back in 1992!!!! Watch it thru at least the first 6 minutes. Watch the whole thing if you can stomach it.

WARNING: Take a Pepto Bismol before you watch this...