Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Found on Road Dead

Should have bought another Chevy. :(

Name:  IMG_0959.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  113.0 KB

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    What broke?
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    What broke?
    While driving on the 40 last Thursday night the water temp gauge pegged hot, oil light came on and the truck went into limp mode. I pulled to the side of the road and the truck showed no signs over overheating. I turned the key and the temp went to normal and the truck drove fine. 20 miles later it happens again. I pull over, turn the truck off, turn it back on and back to normal. This happened about 15 times between Newburry Springs and Needles. I figured it was a bad temp sending unit so I tried to disconnect it but the problem persisted. I ended up parking in my buddy's river house driveway in Needles and sleeping in the back seat. It was 2am by then and I was tired.

The next morning I fire the truck up, grab my boat out of storage and and head to Havasu. All is good. Later that day I'm driving to Interstate Batteries from the Islander and it happens again. So I stop at Orielly's and pick up a new sending unit, plug it in and boom, it happens again. So I called Ford in town and they said they couldn't touch it til Monday. I then called Tri-Tech Auto and they said to bring her in. The guys there were awesome BTW! I told them I was en-route to get batteries and they had Interstate deliver to their shop! .....So they plug it in and its showing a code for the cylinder head temp sending unit ( I didn't know one existed). So they replace it, clear the code and it seems fine. We go to back out of the garage for a test ride and boom. Temp gauge pegs and truck goes into limp mode. Plug it back in and we get a misfire code. #6 misfired 86 times and #10 showed only one. So they replace the coil on #6, clear the codes and the truck drove great all weekend! Last night I'm headed north on the 95 (just passing the airport) and it happens again! So I unplugged the head temp sending unit and made it all the way home with out going into limp mode and the temp gauge pegging hot.

I have no clue what the hell to do next. Anyone know a good Ford Tech around OC?
    Last edited by niceguyeddie; 03-17-2014 at 02:48 PM.

If its just sensor hell you're lucky.

Not sure if you're on The Diesel Stop, but I'm sure they know who the good ones are.

Sensors are a bitch. But if there's nothing mechanically wrong, you're in luck.

If they replaced the sensor, it could easily be a shorted wire. Take a VOM and check the wires to the head temp sensor.
    Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by niceguyeddie View Post
    While driving on the 40 last Thursday night the water temp gauge pegged hot, oil light came on and the truck went into limp mode. I pulled to the side of the road and the truck showed no signs over overheating. I turned the key and the temp went to normal and the truck drove fine. 20 miles later it happens again. I pull over, turn the truck off, turn it back on and back to normal. This happened about 15 times between Newburry Springs and Needles. I figured it was a bad temp sending unit so I tried to disconnect it but the problem persisted. I ended up parking in my buddy's river house driveway in Needles and sleeping in the back seat. It was 2am by then and I was tired.

The next morning I fire the truck up, grab my boat out of storage and and head to Havasu. All is good. Later that day I'm driving to Interstate Batteries from the Islander and it happens again. So I stop at Orielly's and pick up a new sending unit, plug it in and boom, it happens again. So I called Ford in town and they said they couldn't touch it til Monday. I then called Tri-Tech Auto and they said to bring her in. The guys there were awesome BTW! I told them I was en-route to get batteries and they had Interstate deliver to their shop! .....So they plug it in and its showing a code for the cylinder head temp sending unit ( I didn't know one existed). So they replace it, clear the code and it seems fine. We go to back out of the garage for a test ride and boom. Temp gauge pegs and truck goes into limp mode. Plug it back in and we get a misfire code. #6 misfired 86 times and #10 showed only one. So they replace the coil on #6, clear the codes and the truck drove great all weekend! Last night I'm headed north on the 95 (just passing the airport) and it happens again! So I unplugged the head temp sending unit and made it all the way home with out going into limp mode and the temp gauge pegging hot.

I have no clue what the hell to do next. Anyone know a good Ford Tech around OC?
    I would invest in a code scanner OR better yet, the OBD tool (plugs in service port)/software that you can monitor real time with your smartphone...

Was there any actual sign of the truck really getting hot OR do you suspect electronics/sensors/wiring?

I would think that there would be codes for o2 sensors if there was an injector issue and the misfire issues if it was a really bad misfire... Just a guess...

Not much you can do these days without a good scan tool...

Hi, Bruce. Here are some links for Torque Pro. http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...p-for-android/ http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page http://torque-bhp.com/obdforum/obd2/...iewforum/f/1.0 http://www.obdii.com/ Have fun.

Last edited by 2manymustangs; 03-17-2014 at 03:44 PM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

GRADS
    Welcome to the club! Misery loves company.

If it's a 6.0 it might have a blown head gasket. Check the water level in the radiator, I had a 07 that blew the head gasket and it did the same thing to me, coolant goes out the exhaust which reads a misfire in the cylnders. Hopefully thats not the case for you

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    If its just sensor hell you're lucky.

Not sure if you're on The Diesel Stop, but I'm sure they know who the good ones are.

Sensors are a bitch. But if there's nothing mechanically wrong, you're in luck.
    I hope it's just electrical.

I posted there earlier today.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoC653 View Post
    If they replaced the sensor, it could easily be a shorted wire. Take a VOM and check the wires to the head temp sensor.
    Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    I would invest in a code scanner OR better yet, the OBD tool (plugs in service port)/software that you can monitor real time with your smartphone...

Was there any actual sign of the truck really getting hot OR do you suspect electronics/sensors/wiring?

I would think that there would be codes for o2 sensors if there was an injector issue and the misfire issues if it was a really bad misfire... Just a guess...

Not much you can do these days without a good scan tool...

Hi, Bruce. Here are some links for Torque Pro. http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...p-for-android/ http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page http://torque-bhp.com/obdforum/obd2/...iewforum/f/1.0 http://www.obdii.com/ Have fun.

I'll look into it a scan tool. I had one for my Chevy.

It didn't seem to be getting hot and when Tri-Tec monitored it with their computer it was showing normal temps.

Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    Welcome to the club! Misery loves company.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by K-034 View Post
    If it's a 6.0 it might have a blown head gasket. Check the water level in the radiator, I had a 07 that blew the head gasket and it did the same thing to me, coolant goes out the exhaust which reads a misfire in the cylnders. Hopefully thats not the case for you
    It's a V10. I didn't buy a 6.0 because I didn't want problems. Go figure!

Hang in there, your just getting all of the bugs worked out of her...