Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Water Pickup

WESTERNAERO

Water Pickup

How far off keel centerline, left and right, is the optimal placement for water pickups on the cav plates. How far forward off the the trailing edge also, if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    How far off keel centerline, left and right, is the optimal placement for water pickups on the cav plates. How far forward off the the trailing edge also, if that matters.
    Call Mikey at Prime Marine. (909) 484-8329 with all the experience he has rigging ski race boats he would be a solid source.

I asked a similar question and was told that due to airation by the plates, I should consider moving the pickups under the boat out of the prop blast. I'm working on a true flat though. On your cruiser I would think back more would give you more lateral options to stay wet and out of the prop wash.
    Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel

WESTERNAERO
    Yeah, I want to make sure they are getting clean water. I also wonder about the bottom angle, 15 deg, 12.5 deg and flat. Not sure what the GN Raysons and the like are, 7 deg maybe.

my water pick ups are 7" from center and 1.5" from the trailing edge of the plate with a 20* slash cut on them
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

cp performance part number Cavitation Plate Style -10 AN Water Pick-Up
    410-301101

comes in many sizes
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    cp performance part number Cavitation Plate Style -10 AN Water Pick-Up
    410-301101

comes in many sizes
    I'm doing -16's and I making them now, so no need for CP's number but thanks. 7.0" off center sounds a little too close to center for some reason. Just from looking at other boats, I was thinking around 12.0" off center. But I am curious if there is some standard to this? Something that figures in the diameter of the prop + the angle of the bottom + distance from the prop, sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoC653 View Post
    I asked a similar question and was told that due to airation by the plates, I should consider moving the pickups under the boat out of the prop blast. I'm working on a true flat though. On your cruiser I would think back more would give you more lateral options to stay wet and out of the prop wash.
    Julian rigged the Biesemeyers with a single pick up under the boat (at the blast plate). If that comes loose or fails at speed your boat will likely sink.

I have 2 #12 pick ups separated by 9.5 inches (centered) 9 inches behind the transom. I still use the blast plate pick up, but mine is set up for the oil cooler and v-drive and I check it for tightness every trip.

Last edited by Sharp shooter; 04-02-2014 at 05:14 PM.

One of Mikey's rigging jobs.

WESTERNAERO
    Damn Jerry, I never noticed how many turnbuckles you have on that thing. Looks bitchin anyhow.