Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Water Pickup

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by SFV2RVR View Post
    Mine are low because where they come thru the transom they go directly into the sea strainer for a clean connection.
    Or does having them below prefill the strainers instead of the pump trying to fill them?

Water Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Or does having them below prefill the strainers instead of the pump trying to fill them?
    The pump still fills them. I thought they actually were mounted lower on the transom, but I was wrong. Here's a inside view.
    Last edited by SFV2RVR; 04-02-2014 at 09:12 PM.

So I guess people just put the pickups where ever they feel they look good. No reasoning behind it, is that correct?
    Looking at Marc's, I'd say those are about 10-12 off center. And even with the pads, so about 1.5 - 2.0 from the end of the plate.
    That Prime Schiada looks about the same also.
    My Spectra is about 9" of center. I'll double check tomorrow.

Water Pickup

Directly inline with sea strainer inlets

Last edited by Mitch; 04-02-2014 at 10:21 PM.

Now thats a good looking rear end!..... nice exhaust and extra nice work on all the cav rod/plate hardware - sweet!

1975 Sanger True Flat 496BBC
    http://v-drivecalifornia.blogspot.com/

I'm doing -16's and I making them now, so no need for CP's number but thanks. 7.0" off center sounds a little too close to center for some reason. Just from looking at other boats, I was thinking around 12.0" off center. But I am curious if there is some standard to this? Something that figures in the diameter of the prop + the angle of the bottom + distance from the prop, sort of thing.

i knew you would make your own ... was giving you the part number because i didn't have picture of them .. i looked at several boats yesterday and all of them were different ..
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

If you're running sea strainers the dual setups posted look great. Finally got the location for moving mine under the boat and off the cav plates. I was told to put it on the blast plate, beside the strut and in front of the prop. This actually makes sense as there should be good flow there and I won't have to worry about the cav plates cracking again. My old plate has a crack across the pickup, through the turnbuckle pad, to the inside split of the plate. I'm thinking at speed the added twist from the pickup drag was just enough to get it to start cracking. Not sure what happens if a plate fails, and I don't want to find out either. So to the blast plate mine goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel

WESTERNAERO
    What material were your plates made from?

What material were your plates made from?
    The plates that were on it were Aluminum that mic'd at .209 (3/16th is what we think it was supposed to be). They had a doubler that was 3" wide of the same material. Just the plate cracked, the doubler is still fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoC653 View Post
    The plates that were on it were Aluminum that mic'd at .209 (3/16th is what we think it was supposed to be). They had a doubler that was 3" wide of the same material. Just the plate cracked, the doubler is still fine.
    Yeah I assumed they were aluminum, do you know what type and condition they were?