Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life Jackets

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    X3, and too add to that it's awfully hot in the summer wearing one.
    I have a full compliment of lifelines and a few token USCG approved vests in my boat in case I'm safety checked.

CH3NO2
    Be aware that no Lifeline is USGC approved. You can have 6 Lifelines in the boat and plus all the people wearing them as well, and you still better have enough USGC approved jackets to go around. I KNOW! I got busted about 10 years ago. No explaining in the world about it being a better jacket was going to change the asshole's mind..

You can wear the Lifeline, but there still needs to be enough USGC vests in the boat for everybody on board, INCLUDING YOU

For all those that think doing 100+ in a store bought Walmart vest is fine, guess again. If I can rip the thing off you, the water can do it in a tenth the time at 100+.
    Last edited by gn7; 03-28-2014 at 02:44 PM.

GRADS
    Which brings up an interesting question....why are Lifelines not USCG approved? I'd much rather have my Lifeline on than one of those suspender type ones.

Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    Which brings up an interesting question....why are Lifelines not USCG approved? I'd much rather have my Lifeline on than one of those suspender type ones.
    Why aren't 5 point Simpson harnesses approved for street. Been busted for that one too.
    Why weren't the first Simpson baby car seat approved before they licensed the name to Graco and Gavin? Yep, bust for that one as well, at the same time, 30 years ago.

Because Simpson and Lifeline don't sell enough product to justify the expense approval bullshit, and it would only add to there product liability insurance, Don't know a case where a racer sued Lifeline, and those that tried suing Simpson lost. In fact in one case where Simpson was sued, the plaintiff was court ordered to pick up Simpson attorney fees, as well as the court costs.

If you die wearing a Lifeline when not racing, you'll play hell making a case.

Can you blame them for not going along with the extortion?
    Last edited by gn7; 03-28-2014 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Be aware that no Lifeline is USGC approved. You can have 6 Lifelines in the boat and plus all the people wearing them as well, and you still better have enough USGC approved jackets to go around. I KNOW! I got busted about 10 years ago. No explaining in the world about it being a better jacket was going to change the asshole's mind..

You can wear the Lifeline, but there still needs to be enough USGC vests in the boat for everybody on board, INCLUDING YOU

For all those that think doing 100+ in a store bought Walmart vest is fine, guess again. If I can rip the thing off you, the water can do it in a tenth the time at 100+.
    Yup, that's why I have USCG in addition to lifelines.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    My understanding is Lifelines have to be inspected/re certified every so often and the USCG does not trust the consumer to insure it happens. Which leads to the question why not regular vests? I don't know, hopefully KAP or GN7 can answer this.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    You really should consider upping your swimming skills. Not only will you be safer, but you're missing out on a lot of fun.
    I failed swim class 3 times in the military, something about bone density and no natural buoyancy. I couldn't tread water and when I did a dead man's float my back was 6 or more inches below the surface. The guy working with me agreed that it was not going to happen. I could swim the length of the pool underwater no problem. I just couldn't stay on top of the water and breath.

Since then I've added some natural buoyancy (got old and fat) but don't want to start all over. I wear a vest and have as much fun in the water as anyone. And I'm on the water as much as I can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel