Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: V-drives

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo143 View Post
    Where to begin? The Algon/Stellings prop release was the first and was introduced in the early 70's. Ray Caselli set most of his records running a 4 sprag release. As many of you know I am building a new version of the Algon at this time. They are out being broached, then out to heat treat and then final machining of the bores. My new version is based on the 4 sprag version but can be run using 2,3 or 4 sprags. Bob, there are several circle guys that prefer an Algon over a Whirlaway. Some claim that they can drive in deeper on the pin and get through the turn quicker. Jerry Cotter is switching on of his SS boats from a Whirlaway to an Algon. The Casale version had more failures of the sprags than success's according to Drew. Since the sprags were in the gear they could only get 2 into play.

V-drives. There are basically 4 manufacturers of v-drive cases, Casale, Menkens, myself and a guy in Texas that builds a drag race only billet case. Menkens builds both cast and billet cases and the billet cases finally take Casale shafts and gears. His cases are all 10*. I build billet cases also. The first run was all 10* cases. I will be building some 8* cases in the next run. Rex of Phillips Marine in AZ. wants one for a GN and Enduro boat he is building for himself. I will be building 2 one off versions for Don Baucher's BAF that will have the bottom of the case raised about 3/4" to accommodate a six* strut angle and the engine placement and capsule setup that was done by Jim Lange. Casale had cast 2 cases for Don but he blew the last one into about 10 pieces at the 2012 World Finals. Casale builds 8,10 and 12* cast splitcase v-dives as well as C-500, C-1000, and C-2000 v-drives which are all 12*

The prop release pictured a few posts back is made by JJ Beaver of Beaverfab Inc. He also makes shafts, lockout handles and couplers among other parts. Both JJ and I buy sell and trade gears as well as rebuild v-drives for many peeps on the various forums.

I am building a couple of one off in/out boxes for Andrew Games' new #550 Crackerbox. Gonna have to give my 2 fingers a rest for now!
    Good stuff SeveO, equally as good closing...

And there you have it right from the experts !!!! These are the guys that know how to do things ASK THEM - Steveo helped setup my boat and I run a 10* with a Whirl away in it that makes it much safer for just regular every day use. Changing to a 10* from a 12* in my boat brought all the geometry back together that somebody really messed up along the way by adding a transmission at one time. Everything came into alignment after that was done.

V-drives and Parallel drives are also used in many types of off-road vehicles too.... anything that requires a gear box between a power source and a drive output can use this type of gear box. It's basically for "IN" gear and "OUT" of gear is all. Thats why some people just call it an "IN 'n OUT" box!
    1975 Sanger True Flat 496BBC
    http://v-drivecalifornia.blogspot.com/