Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by SFV2RVR View Post
    No. Why don't you tell me king know it all! I'm sure buckles and rankin don't go thru as many props as they used to since they been using Grose forged props.
    Only now when they lose one, it hurts a little more. They aren't as tough as some some like to make them out to be. The 44 boat has the ears tips off the ears off two so far. There is NOHING different about a Grose prop than a Radiance or Menkins except how the blade shaped. When you can explain how the you shape the blade increases the strength, you get back to me with that info. Its still 2 ears welded to a fucking hub and sent out for heat treat. How the CNC makes them stronger I would like to hear, Genius

Rankin and Darrin take them one step further when they get them from Grose, but I am not all that sold that it helps any.
    Last edited by gn7; 04-09-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Only now when they lose one, it hurts a little more. They aren't as tough as some some like to make them out to be. The 44 boat has the ears tips off the ears off two so far. There is NOHING different about a Grose prop than a Radiance or Menkins except how the blade shaped. When you can explain how the you shape the blade increases the strength, you get back to me with that info. Its still 2 ears welded to a fucking hub and sent out for heat treat. How the CNC makes them stronger I would like to hear, Genius

Rankin and Darrin take them one step further when they get them from Grose, but I am not all that sold that it helps any.
    Grose props don't have welded ears. They are from a forging. Maybe I'm missing something but that's straight from Joey and Ron grose's mouth. I spent a week down there with Scarlata and saw the box of forgings.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397093204.694148.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  61.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Michael, why would I recommend somebody to machine your shaft. I would do my own so why would I research a machine supplier. And for the record Bob did tell you to go to marine machine. Maybe not in this thread but he did somewhere on HB
    i know and bob did not mention marine machine i was the first to comment on it, i know you didn't recommend anyone why would you you can make it yourself..and if you remember i researched the company and asked for your opinion. you said you would use them and that was good enough for me, what bob said is that a supplier has a batch of bad shafts , never who not a name out of his mouth till today, if giving him the credit for it makes him happy than he did all my research for me contacted them look at the certs and the type of machines and gave his word that , thats who to use than he did, just like with the Grose forged props he said there welded ears than there welded ears no matter what picture is posted..
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Grose props don't have welded ears. They are from a forging. Maybe I'm missing something but that's straight from Joey and Ron grose's mouth. I spent a week down there with Scarlata and saw the box of forgings.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397093204.694148.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  61.6 KB
    There is NOHING different about a Grose prop than a Radiance or Menkins except how the blade shaped. When you can explain how the you shape the blade increases the strength, you get back to me with that info. Its still 2 ears welded to a fucking hub and sent out for heat treat.

LMAO if he said there welded than there welded dam it ... lmao
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post

Ron Grose Racing and Machine provides superior quality, workmanship and ... Patented one-piece forged propeller available;straight off the web page ,,, lmao
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    Ron Grose Racing and Machine provides superior quality, workmanship and ... Patented one-piece forged propeller available;straight off the web page ,,, lmao
    So if the tip if the ears of the Grose props snap off, it proves the forging are better than welded ears? How it how the root at the hub helping the tip of the blade.

I have nothing against Grose props. I have no doubt it a great product. But the prop under my GN won 5 championships that I know of in the history I was able to track, and it was made in 1988 and final obtained a small crack in Nov 2012. That's not a bad run under a blown GN.
    I paid 150.00 unseen off E bay, What does a Grose prop cost, and might fail after 2 weekends??

I don't care if its carved by hand with a hacksaw and file, if it only lasts 2 weekends, I try something else.

I the forging is a stronger root/hub, how does that help the rest of the blade. Are you suggesting the forging is stronger everywhere else over milled plate. Are does the ONLY thing it eliminates is the weld?
    Last edited by gn7; 04-09-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Prop Shaft

There is NOHING different about a Grose prop than a Radiance or Menkins except how the blade shaped. When you can explain how the you shape the blade increases the strength, you get back to me with that info. Its still 2 ears welded to a fucking hub and sent out for heat treat.

LMAO if he said there welded than there welded dam it ... lmao
    Sorry but GN7 is WRONG on the welded ear portion about Grose props! Forged one piece props are far stronger than a prop that has welded ears. I'm not saying a Grose prop has never cracked, but it's proven to be stronger than the standard Radiance or menkins.
    Last edited by SFV2RVR; 04-09-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Sorry but GN7 is WRONG on the welded ear portion about Grose props! Forged one piece props are far stronger than a prop that has welded ears. I'm not saying a Grose prop has never cracked, but it's proven to be stronger than the standard Radiance or menkins.
    Mark i know the difference lol , and a one piece prop shouldn't throw the blades off now the tip of the blade is different , but the blade coming off the hub should not be a issue ...
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Mark i know the difference lol , and a one piece prop shouldn't throw the blades off now the tip of the blade is different , but the blade coming off the hub should not be a issue ...
    If it throws the whole blade or part of the blade, it is just as bad and could have exactly the same effect. Many conventionally manufactured props have gone years and years without throwing blades or parts of the blade, So to say something is stronger because it is perceived that it is impossible for it to throw the whole blade, is a bit pointless if there are reports of these props throwing parts of the blade.
    well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by SnoC653 View Post
    If it throws the whole blade or part of the blade, it is just as bad and could have exactly the same effect. Many conventionally manufactured props have gone years and years without throwing blades or parts of the blade, So to say something is stronger because it is perceived that it is impossible for it to throw the whole blade, is a bit pointless if there are reports of these props throwing parts of the blade.
    in agreement i guess the reason the problems are becoming more and more is ... my reason is the boats are making more power , being driven harder in rougher water..i have not heard of a forged prop throwing a ear
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB