Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Sorry Sno, I can't agree with this 100%.
    But a good machinist know a whole hell of a lot more than just the machine.
    I agree. But they were making some pretty high power boats, specially when they were driving all the power of a TFH thru single shaft, and
    with shafts machined in full manual machines long before CNC.

CNCs are no different than computers, garbage in, garbage out. Like the man leaning against a WWI lathe, he can make it the best that is possible with the machine, or make the part useless. A programmer can fuck a piece material just a easy as yahoo on a 50 year old Logan.

I look at my AFR CNC ported heads, and my Canfields hand ported by Steelcomp that have a smaller port, yet flow more across the board than my AFRs, and I say, "how the fuck did he do that." But can he reproduce the heads as quickly as a CNC. Not even close. And he used my heads to develop a CNC program. So they were on his bench for a looooong time. I was the perfect candidate because I didn't need the heads.
    And I have heads that are CNC's that flow considerably less than my AFRs. Its all in the program.

In all this, nobody has even mention the tooling. It can be as important as the machine, and the operator. Hone a cylinder with the wrong hone for rings, and the bore is useless, I don't care what program was used to run the hone speed and travel.
    If given the choice, I will take the CNC in the RIGHT HANDS!!
    Last edited by gn7; 04-09-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Bob's mad cause you're making him mad....
    thats what i do , and bobs made because he's bob
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Sorry Sno, I can't agree with this 100%.
    But a good machinist know a whole hell of a lot more than just the machine.
    It takes a lot more old equipment to do what one modern machine can do today, but the basic shaping of metal hasn't changed. You can still only remove material in so many ways. Yes there are new tools to use and a lot more precise tools to use. Yes there are new designs that the old machines don't have the dexterity to accomplish, but it wasn't needed back in the day or else some engineer would have figured out how to do it with what they had back then.

And don't think I'm against the new machines. I think the advances in machine work is fantastic. I think the loss of so many great machinists and their replacements with operators is a tragic shame. I love talking to old machinists and hearing the passion for what they do in their voices.
    Last edited by SnoC653; 04-09-2014 at 01:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel

Casale will machine propshafts if you supply the material. I believe they do all of Rankin's shafts.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo143 View Post
    Casale will machine propshafts if you supply the material. I believe they do all of Rankin's shafts.

you can not buy the material for the price Marine machine will sell you a complete shaft for
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Prop Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by steveo143 View Post
    That's not sayin much. His shit breaks too! This is from SS-80 from the long beach race.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397077144.166415.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  63.3 KB

Could've been part of the problem right here!
    Last edited by SFV2RVR; 04-09-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    thats what i do , and bobs made because he's bob
    I not mad. Little dumb founded. But that happens to me almost everyday at work with the assclowns I have to deal with most times.

Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by SFV2RVR View Post
    That's not sayin much. His shit breaks too! This is from SS-80 from the long beach race.

Could've been part of the problem right here!
    There again, posting with out thinking.
    Any idea why that boat might be more prone to snapping a shaft?
    Aside from the non obvious reason that could have snapped, there is some thought that the prop pitch an ear to cause that.
    Ever ask Rankin, Fitz or Buckles how many props they go thru a year and why?
    Last edited by gn7; 04-09-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I not mad. Little dumb founded. But that happens to me almost everyday at work with the assclowns I have to deal with most times.

Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it.
    Henry Ford
    Did you just quote Henry Ford?

What I find most prevalent, around places like this anyway, is many people disengage their fingers from their brains

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    There again, posting with out thinking.
    Any idea why that boat might be more prone to snapping a shaft?
    Aside from the non obvious reason that could have snapped, there is some thought that the prop pitch an ear to cause that.
    Ever ask Rankin, Fitz or Buckles how many props they go thru a year and why?
    it looks like i need a under water metal detector and i can go into the missing prop business lol> with three to five every race and some very high dollar props being tossed it might make for a lucrative weekend of diving
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB