Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop Shaft

Isn't copying someone else's design by digitizing it and the cutting it out on a CNC machine the same thing everyone cry's foul over when people do it with other parts? I can't say how many açusations I've seen whee someone's part looks similar to another person's parts or where they we're blatantly copied. And everyone seems to agree if it was copied, it isn't right and nobody should buy them. What makes copying a prop different?
    Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by SnoC653 View Post
    Isn't copying someone else's design by digitizing it and the cutting it out on a CNC machine the same thing everyone cry's foul over when people do it with other parts? I can't say how many açusations I've seen whee someone's part looks similar to another person's parts or where they we're blatantly copied. And everyone seems to agree if it was copied, it isn't right and nobody should buy them. What makes copying a prop different?
    I don't think Grose Racing is buying random props to copy. Usually someone will take them a prop that they have tested and reworked to get the results that they want. Then it is digitized and a blank is cnc machined hopeing to get an exact duplicate of the favorite prop for their own use. What is wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by HotWater View Post
    I don't think Grose Racing is buying random props to copy. Usually someone will take them a prop that they have tested and reworked to get the results that they want. Then it is digitized and a blank is cnc machined hopeing to get an exact duplicate of the favorite prop for their own use. What is wrong with that?
    I don't think they are either. But if I buy a billet part from someone, say a trick timing cover, take it to a local machine shop and ask them to make me 3 copies of it (for my own personal use) are you saying that would be fair to the original designer? It takes very little effort to reverse engineer something rather than to design it in the first place. The point is, there is a prop designer or someone who reworked the prop to make it work the way it did. They have their time and money invested in acquiring the skills to make said prop work. My question is more specifically, how is reverse engineering a prop any different from reverse engineering any other part?
    well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel

I don't think they are either. But if I buy a billet part from someone, say a trick timing cover, take it to a local machine shop and ask them to make me 3 copies of it (for my own personal use) are you saying that would be fair to the original designer? It takes very little effort to reverse engineer something rather than to design it in the first place. The point is, there is a prop designer or someone who reworked the prop to make it work the way it did. They have their time and money invested in acquiring the skills to make said prop work. My question is more specifically, how is reverse engineering a prop any different from reverse engineering any other part?
    Snoc, the prop's that are being copied are refined parts. They are'nt just a prop straight from a manufacturer. They have been reworked to your specs or info by a craftsman with experience that was probably paid to do so. The prop may look similiar to what it started as but it is not the same as the original part. You bought a prop and paid for it to be modified, it's yours. If that prop works perfect for you why would you not want another exactly like it? Like westernaero said, it's impossible to get more than one prop the same by hand. Reverse engineering a custom prop that you like is very different than reverse engineering a trick timing cover that you had no input in.

Quote Originally Posted by HotWater View Post
    Snoc, the prop's that are being copied are refined parts. They are'nt just a prop straight from a manufacturer. They have been reworked to your specs or info by a craftsman with experience that was probably paid to do so. The prop may look similiar to what it started as but it is not the same as the original part. You bought a prop and paid for it to be modified, it's yours. If that prop works perfect for you why would you not want another exactly like it? Like westernaero said, it's impossible to get more than one prop the same by hand. Reverse engineering a custom prop that you like is very different than reverse engineering a trick timing cover that you had no input in.
    I disagree. You tell a technician you want more lift from a prop. He reworks it. You don't tell him how much pitch to put in it, how much rake, or how thin or thick to make the ears nor where the taper should begin. When a professional makes something from his expertise in the subject matter, that doesn't give you the customer intellectual rights to his work nor the right to have it reproduced commercially (at least not without permission). And who maintains the rights to the design once it's copied? And how does the person with the real design skill protect his design and intellectual property? Not to mention what happens if someone sells one of the copies to someone else (say I have a prop that works really great on a specific hull design and other racers want a copy since they tried mine and it worked great on their hulls too)? Then it is no longer a matter of someone making a backup copy for themselves. How do you insure that individual copies don't get sold separately? And not implying anyone specific would sell one of the copies, but how do you ensure that a prop vendor doesn't sell copies when he can make one at will?

He must be damn good if he can knock off a $500 dollar welded 2 blade and get $2800 for his version I run the house prop which is a Grose design and its bad ass by far the best prop I have ran . I have a new one in the mail if anybody is looking for a good used prop let me know .

I disagree. You tell a technician you want more lift from a prop. He reworks it. You don't tell him how much pitch to put in it, how much rake, or how thin or thick to make the ears nor where the taper should begin. When a professional makes something from his expertise in the subject matter, that doesn't give you the customer intellectual rights to his work nor the right to have it reproduced commercially (at least not without permission). And who maintains the rights to the design once it's copied? And how does the person with the real design skill protect his design and intellectual property? Not to mention what happens if someone sells one of the copies to someone else (say I have a prop that works really great on a specific hull design and other racers want a copy since they tried mine and it worked great on their hulls too)? Then it is no longer a matter of someone making a backup copy for themselves. How do you insure that individual copies don't get sold separately? And not implying anyone specific would sell one of the copies, but how do you ensure that a prop vendor doesn't sell copies when he can make one at will?
    Well hell, if someone is that worried about their part getting copied maybe they should'nt have sold it in the first place.
    I can't wait till if and when you start racing KRR.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    What size is the prop?
    11X16 left hand 1 1/8 shaft ......

Quote Originally Posted by ptc View Post
    Last 3 pages - looks like Bobs been drunk posting again.... !!!

FUCK YOU!!
    I never post drunk asshole
    Last edited by gn7; 04-16-2014 at 11:06 PM.

Not a man in the in the world except a few making prop for unlimited hydro teams can say the design a prop and lay claim it. 99% of the prop makers can't duplicate their own fucking prop, how they can claim you copied one. They'd look a fool in court if they can't make an EXCATE copy the prop they claim was copied, AND THEY CANNOT!!! But some how the accused can make EXACTE duplicates, and he is the so call forger.

YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND INTEL MAN??
    Last edited by gn7; 04-17-2014 at 04:53 AM.