Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need a dog collar recommendation

What does everyone use for their bigger dogs? My little ball sniffer is getting strong and I've never had such an smart dog be such a pain in the ass to leash train. Crate training was a breeze. She sits and waits for treats and meals until she's told to "go get it". Leash....tug tug tug till she can't breathe no more. Regular collar and choker with a whole lotta hollering does nothing but piss me off.

What have you tried? What works?

Name:  onyx.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  35.9 KB

When training we used a metal choker that pinched. No need at this point as she's good.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    When training we used a metal choker that pinched. No need at this point as she's good.
    Yep this is the one's i use to train all my Dogs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Party Bus View Post
    JUst remember that the collar he is holding is ONLY for training. It's not a go out and walk the dog collar. It can be VERY painful for a dog, and to tell you the truth, if she tries hard to do the right thing, use a regular choke, and use that one sparingly. My experience with the one above is it is for problem children, so to speak. If your dog is getting it, even though it may be slower than you like, don't use the spike collar.....just my .02.

....as an aside, the leash training thing. walk in a tight area, with no distractions. With a choker at this point. No spikes. Have her start seated next to your left leg, head even with your knee. Step out, say come!! She should come, but not lead, but stay even with you. if she gets the SLIGHTEST bit ahead of you, yank her back, not hard at first, just enough to show her that leading you is wrong. Do this in your backyard with no distractions, cats, squirrels, etc. Couple of weeks, should do the trick....best of luck...if none of this works, then move up to the spike collar.
    Last edited by Tishimself; 10-11-2013 at 08:25 PM.

That's it! Now I don't have to take a pic in the morning.

x2. We used that to train my mastiff, now he can walk off leash

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk now Free

Quote Originally Posted by Tishimself View Post
    JUst remember that the collar he is holding is ONLY for training. It's not a go out and walk the dog collar. It can be VERY painful for a dog, and to tell you the truth, if she tries hard to do the right thing, use a regular choke, and use that one sparingly. My experience with the one above is it is for problem children, so to speak. If your dog is getting it, even though it may be slower than you like, don't use the spike collar.....just my .02.

....as an aside, the leash training thing. walk in a tight area, with no distractions. With a choker at this point. No spikes. Have her start seated next to your left leg, head even with your knee. Step out, say come!! She should come, but not lead, but stay even with you. if she gets the SLIGHTEST bit ahead of you, yank her back, not hard at first, just enough to show her that leading you is wrong. Do this in your backyard with no distractions, cats, squirrels, etc. Couple of weeks, should do the trick....best of luck...if none of this works, then move up to the spike collar.
    Fantastic advice if I didn't already try all that. The little bit of pit in this one makes her neck indestructible. I can crank on the collar when she starts to lead and she'd rather hang herself while sitting on her hind legs than to obey my commands...she just wants to go. I need something that will get her attention like right eff'n now. I've never had to resort to the spike collar and that's why I'm on here asking. This one is a pistol and I'm afraid I'm going to have to take it to the next level. Nothing makes me more cranky like running out of chew than a non-obedient animal.

Looks like a spike collar is in order for tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigalert View Post
    Fantastic advice if I didn't already try all that. The little bit of pit in this one makes her neck indestructible. I can crank on the collar when she starts to lead and she'd rather hang herself while sitting on her hind legs than to obey my commands...she just wants to go. I need something that will get her attention like right eff'n now. I've never had to resort to the spike collar and that's why I'm on here asking. This one is a pistol and I'm afraid I'm going to have to take it to the next level. Nothing makes me more cranky like running out of chew than a non-obedient animal.

Looks like a spike collar is in order for tomorrow.
    It's a yank first UP, then backwards, to get her back into position next to you, every time, as long as she does it, each time harder. If this still does not work, the spike collar will drive it home....LOL....

GRADS
    I ended up getting a harness that goes around the neck, down the chest and across the belly and back.....works great. Some of those metal ones are just cruel.

GRADS
    Trust me. I own one of the notoriously worst breed for being shitheads.