Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    i appreciate your help, i was making a point in the beginning both you and kevin were all about the machine and the surface speed to tip being constant , than in the end you say it doesn't fn matter at all.. make up your mind..does the machine make any difference or not ? a old ww1 lathe has about 6 speeds and maybe two feed speeds, the reason why they break at least 10 cutting tools a day and trash 50% of the parts, this is all after BOB has passed away, and i found Marine machine on my own gave Kevin the web site to make sure there up to the standards needed and he agreed,

marine machine vs glenwood

is like a rock vs a bazooka

also iam not fucking STUPID , stupid people just listen to all the BS and never ask a question. intelligent people ask questions to gain knowledge.. i ask a lot of questions.
    Think about this rocket scientist. Did I send you to Glenwood for your shaft, EVEN KNOWING full well that's where I got mine, and knowing full well they made ever single shaft Rudy ever used in a marathon boat, even after Rudy and Andy Casale (who will make a shaft if you ask VERY nicely) both told me to go to Glenwood.

Now stick that genius brain in gear, and ask your self REAL SLOW and CLEARLY, why did Bob tell to get the shaft at MM&M? Did I EVER suggest you get the shaft at Glenwood? WHY THE FUCK NOT????

Now I have no intention of running a Q22 shaft, from MM&M or Burgeron. If I need a new shaft, it will most likely be another K Monel, but not from Glenwood. I MIGHT purchase the material there to stream line matters. But I will take it somewhere.
    I would have told you do the same thing, but seriously, I don't care to risk burning bridges with every Tom, Dick and Harry that needs a shaft. And your last few posts definitely placed you in the category. I don't suffer fools lightly, and many people I know don't either. I don't need someone calling me saying WTF were you thinking sending that guy here.
    Specially the comment about Bob being dead. Might as well told me Rudy and my dad were as well.
    Last edited by gn7; 04-09-2014 at 12:09 PM.

so i asked Glenwood to send me a picture of how they cut the taper on there prop shafts ...what i got back is this please follow along

Hello there Thanks for inquiring about our prop shafts , i will try to answer your question, we used this set up for many years see attached photoName:  IMG_5633.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  58.9 KB
    than in the last ten years we upgraded to the modern set up in the next photoName:  IMG_5634.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  63.7 KB Hope this answers your questions
    Regards Vicky

notice the date on the brochure 1944
    Last edited by ogshotgun; 04-09-2014 at 12:21 PM.
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Think about this rocket scientist. Did I send you to Glenwood for your shaft, EVEN KNOWING full well that's where I got mine, and knowing full well they made ever single shaft Rudy ever used in a marathon boat, even after Rudy and Andy Casale (who will make a shaft if you ask VERY nicely) both told me to go to Glenwood.

Now stick that genius brain in gear, and ask your self REAL SLOW and CLEARLY, why did Bob tell to get the shaft at MM&M? Did I EVER suggest you get the shaft at Glenwood? WHY THE FUCK NOT????

Now I have no intention of running a Q22 shaft, from MM&M or Burgeron. If I need a new shaft, it will most likely be another K Monel, but not from Glenwood. I MIGHT purchase the material there to stream line matters. But I will take it somewhere.
    I would have told you do the same thing, but seriously, I don't care to risk burning bridges with every Tom, Dick and Harry that needs a shaft. And your last few posts definitely placed you in the category. I don't suffer fools lightly, and many people I know don't either. I don't need someone calling me saying WTF were you thinking sending that guy here.
    Specially the comment about Bob being dead. Might as well told me Rudy and my dad were as well.
    didn't know if you knew Bob has died . many people did not Know he's not around any more..it was a fyi for you.
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Micheal,
    You got your new shaft, you seem to be happy with it, why are you continuing with the rant. Why don't you just thank Bob for recommending the supplier and put your boat together.
    i have my shaft and it will work fine, some guy came on here bad mouthing the Aquamet 22 and than bob started in saying his 99 cents worth and its been going since, now he says a ww1 lathe will produce the same shaft as a new high end cnc lathe will.. now aim going out of my way to prove him wrong..and he never mentioned Marine Machine i found them on my own...
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Bob wasn't talking about machines, he was talking about the operator of the machine.

i understand that .. so you agree a WW1 lathe will produce the same part as a brand new CNC will? with the same person running it that is?

one machine is over 70 years old it will produce the exact same quality of part as a new machine, as long as the operator is up to par?
    I don't think so.
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

i have my shaft and it will work fine, some guy came on here bad mouthing the Aquamet 22 and than bob started in saying his 99 cents worth and its been going since, now he says a ww1 lathe will produce the same shaft as a new high end cnc lathe will.. now aim going out of my way to prove him wrong..and he never mentioned Marine Machine i found them on my own...
    News flash, long before there were CNC machines people were making precision parts. My grandfather was a gear maker, and was one of the finest in the country according to the people that sought him out long after he retired. When computers first came on the scene they used to get the best engineers they could find to walk them through the process so they could get the machine to do it the same way. I remember they called him out of retirement to help them make a gear for a giant shovel (used at strip mines, looked like a house on a turn table). My grandfather said they had programming engineers watching everything he did, and how he bets that somewhere there is a computer that stops and scratches it's imaginary nose before moving to the next step.

The point is, the old equipment is just as capable as the new fancy stuff with the right operator. The new stuff is faster and easier to duplicate the same part over and over. And the new stuff doesn't require the same level of skill from the operator, just from the programmer. The new stuff also repeats the same mistakes over and over if they were programmed in, or something becomes out of tolerance.

You'd be amazed at how many people can't do a simple task like turn a brake rotor because they can't grasp the concept of to big a cut or a dull bit. And when you apply it to turning a exotic metal the number of people that can't goes up drastically. And there is more to metal work than just how it looks when it is done, so I'll take GN7's advice when he says this shop knows what they are doing. I also trust people that work with these metals to school us. I know the precision that Westernaero has to meet on aircraft as well as seeing some of the great stuff he is turning out. This site is fortunate to have the people with real world experience and top notch skills.
    well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel

I think you're missing the point. Regardless of the equipment, the person making the shit needs to know his or her shit. That's all that that's been or being said here.
    didn't miss anything i agree the operator of the machine is where it begins , but i also do know that a process used 50 years ago was fine 50 years ago but times have changed and motors have changed since 1944 and materials have changed and more exotics available today than in 1944, i do remember you saying to machine this material you need a constant surface to cutter speed at all times so it must be done on a cnc machine.
    the tool used at the other shop is nothing more than a pencil sharpener basically, i can not see the same quality coming off the two different machines . in fact my old shaft from the old supplier has chatter marks on the taper running length wise from the pencil sharpener tooling thats being used
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

SFM is ultra critical for these material, yes I did tell you and everyone that, and it is. If you can find a supplier that has the equipment to maintain that constant SFM that's where I would be going.
    However if somebody is dead set on going to someone that only has conventional turning capabilities then the SFM on the taper needs to be run to the largest diameter. Also in my opinion that box tool in the pics you put up is absolutely the worst way to cut a taper because of the heat it generates, a taper attachment with a single point tool and a large radius would be the way to go. And only removing .010 -.015 a side max per pass.
    i agree and the pencil sharpener tool was a upgrade 10 years ago! its what they use today.
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

A box tool is completely acceptable for materials that don't work harden easily.
    its what is used on Kmonel and Aquamet 19, they don't sell 22
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

A box tool is completely acceptable for materials that don't work harden easily.
    call me i have a quick question and don't need everyones opinions and bs on how to do it, i trust you and bob, and he's mad.
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB