As the season is just around the corner now, spring break is only three months away, I know a lot of people are getting ready to tow their boats. Some people are headed to the lake or river and others are preparing to go get their boats and bring them home or elsewhere for service. I just wanted to remind everyone not to neglect their trailer. It is all that separates your boat from the pavement and if its not in good safe condition your quick tow from a to b will quickly turn into a nightmare. A couple quick things to remember:

-Trailer tires rarely wear out. They do however age. A tire can look brand new and still be at risk of a blowout. If your tires are over 5 years old I would recommend replacing them. I know new tires are pricy but if one lets go and takes out a fender or even worse your boat you are going to regret putting it off.

-Check your wheel bearings. This doesn't mean shoot some grease in the buddy bearings and call it good. Jack up each wheel individually and give it a spin. Check for excessive resistance or roughness. Also try to wiggle the wheel from side to side. There should be very minimal play if any. This is also a good time to check trailer brakes for dragging and tension.

-If the grease looks very watered down or dirty it is best to disassemble the hubs and check the bearings. Repack or replace as needed.If everything checks out give each bearing buddy a few shots of grease. Don't get carried away. Just pump the grease in until the plunger on the bearing buddy starts to move and your done.

-Check your straps. Boats should be secured with transom straps and a bow strap. Make sure they are tight and not worn or frayed. You would be surprised how often a customer shows up at the shop and realizes a strap failed and his boat moved on the trailer.

-Climb under the trailer and inspect the bunks and bunk supports. Most people pay little attention to this area until they launch their boat and realize a bunk is floating away.

This is just a general guide and certain trailers may be different and require more or less attention. If your trailer needs attention whether it is just maintenance or a ground up restoration don't wait until it is to late and you are stranded on the side of the road.
If you have any questions or concerns about your trailer, or if you don't want to tackle the work yourself, feel free to call the shop. We have repaired and restored a lot of trailers and would be happy to help you out.