Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather

Cold weather

With consecutive nights in the upper 20's and highs around 50, should we be concerned about our blocks freezing?
    Thinking about running an extension cord out to the boat with a drop light to put a little heat under the cover.

I would definitely think you have a legit concern. I would drain the block as well just in case you lose power for some reason and your lights or block heater takes a dump. Fortunately here in So Cal that isn't much of a concern, but it was 31 this morning :calm:

Here in Utah it gets pretty cold. I usually drain the block and make sure that the bowl on my jet has oil in it and make sure there's no water.

Quote Originally Posted by 76Bonneville View Post
    With consecutive nights in the upper 20's and highs around 50, should we be concerned about our blocks freezing?
    Thinking about running an extension cord out to the boat with a drop light to put a little heat under the cover.
    Ron,, I would suggest draining the block. Any time I put an engine together I use brass plugs in the water drains (don't forget to drain both sides since they are separate water jackets) so they come out easily.

Wendi

Cold weather

It was 29 degrees this morning in Chino hills when I took my daughter to school a bit nipply ILife I must say so

Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
    It was 29 degrees this morning in Chino hills when I took my daughter to school a bit nipply ILife I must say so
    That wasn't even our high today... High today is 22*. It'll be 12* tonight when I get off work. Sunday a high of 16 and a low of -8*.

Our high was 27* and our low tonight is going to be - 5.

It would be winterized for sure if I live in colder country like you two Wolfie and 24 Sleek. But I live in So Cal like HB, Wendi and Barry,where we dont normally have to give it a second thought. It's 7:30 on Friday evening and we're already down to 42*. I'm in the foothills in Northern San Diego county at about 2300' elevation, soa little colder than the valleys but like Wendi said 29* Thats down right chilly. Hell I almost didn't wear shorts today. Did put shoes on instead of flip flops.

Quote Originally Posted by 76Bonneville View Post
    It would be winterized for sure if I live in colder country like you two Wolfie and 24 Sleek. But I live in So Cal like HB, Wendi and Barry,where we dont normally have to give it a second thought. It's 7:30 on Friday evening and we're already down to 42*. I'm in the foothills in Northern San Diego county at about 2300' elevation, soa little colder than the valleys but like Wendi said 29* Thats down right chilly. Hell I almost didn't wear shorts today. Did put shoes on instead of flip flops.
    I was on the phone a bit ago talking with one of my Parker friends about the same topic,, maybe try a lightbulb/droplight under the cover, placed so that it can't melt anything? You are probably only talking about keeping a couple of extra degrees of temperature.

Anybody make a remote thermometer app for smart phones????

Just a note! The drop light can't have a cfl, or led bulb in it, in case you have upgraded to such as they generate zero heat. A good old 100Watt incandescent bulb will usually do the trick if you have a cover to catch the warmth.
    The best things in life aren't things!