Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motor Mount Boss

Can this be fixed if the broken piece is missing? It's the motor mount boss /water pump hole, any ideas how to repair (weld)? It not a critical portion of the block but I would like to have it repaired while the engine is out of the boat.

Name:  EngineBoss_Repair.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  EngineBoss_Repari1.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  76.5 KB

WESTERNAERO
    That needs attention! Your motor plate mounts there, I wouldn't want to run it with one bolt holding that corner of the engine.
    If I were you I would give it the whole engine to that westernaero guy and go build yourself something new.
    Seriously, I would have it welded, and then you can drill it thru all the way to the fuel pump rod stop hole. Then re-tap it thru and it should be fine. You'll need to run a longer bolt that almost enters the cross hole.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    That needs attention! Your motor plate mounts there, I wouldn't want to run it with one bolt holding that corner of the engine.
    If I were you I would give it the whole engine to that westernaero guy and go build yourself something new.
    Seriously, I would have it welded, and then you can drill it thru all the way to the fuel pump rod stop hole. Then re-tap it thru and it should be fine. You'll need to run a longer bolt that almost enters the cross hole.

Can a welder build the entire area up with a big blob of weld, then drill and tap it? I am not sure if that will work with cast iron. The rear plates use 4 bolts for each side (which includes the water crossovers).

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Southwind View Post

Can a welder build the entire area up with a big blob of weld, then drill and tap it? I am not sure if that will work with cast iron. The rear plates use 4 bolts for each side (which includes the water crossovers).
    If the plates go all the way to the water ports then you are in much better shape. I would still have it welded but i don't think it's all that necessary. No you really can't build it up with weld but you could make a small chunk and have that welded on. It was repaired before, you can see where it was drilled in areas to get the JBweld to stick better. I would still drill and tap all the way thru.

If the plates go all the way to the water ports then you are in much better shape. I would still have it welded but i don't think it's all that necessary. No you really can't build it up with weld but you could make a small chunk and have that welded on. It was repaired before, you can see where it was drilled in areas to get the JBweld to stick better. I would still drill and tap all the way thru.
    Yep...they go all the way to the water ports.

Name:  Rear_Plates.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  42.6 KB

WESTERNAERO
    Are you handy with a jig saw or do you have a band saw? I would make a new motor plate that is one piece. Connected in the middle so those aren't trying to spread apart. May be the reason that boss is blown out to the side to begin with.

WESTERNAERO
    Something like this maybe.
    Name:  motor.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  63.6 KB

That's the first thing I thought since my jet boat's motor plate is a one piece with an arch. They used a two piece so that there would be enough room to hang the water pump and the alternator on each side of the engine.

Name:  Alternator.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  86.5 KBName:  Water_Pump.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  78.3 KB
    Last edited by 78Southwind; 09-18-2013 at 06:45 PM.

WESTERNAERO
    Water pump? Do you have a sea pump, not a cam driven pump?
    never mind your pics came up.
    Last edited by WESTERNAERO; 09-18-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Water pump? Do you have a sea pump, not a cam driven pump?
    Yep...Sea Pump. This engine was originally in a Cat.

Name:  DCM_Blown_572.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  45.7 KB