Thread: welding tips

welding tips

Okay, I have never welded a thing in my life. Now I need to learn just for a few projects ( a few carts for my shop, , along with a few boat trailer modifications, and then some sheet metal on a scout and a few frame brackets). I am a wood guy, not a metal guy. I have watched a zillion videos, talked to quite a few welders, but at some point you have to actually turn on the machine and try to weld. I bought a hobart handler, am going to pick up a Norco argonc02 tank, get some scrap etal and give it a whirl. If any of those more skilled than me, which is everyone, want to give me some pointers, I am all ears. Thanks, Don

# 1 clean materials
    Prep and clean everything, get rid of any dirt, oil, or contamination
    RSCHAP1

Watching videos is one thing, but having someone show you first hand is the best way to get going. If that's not an option, check with your local welding shops and see if they offer classes or can refer you to someone who does. It's a great skill that I'd like to learn someday myself as I taught myself to forget how. Once people figure out you know how to weld, and have the tools, you become pretty popular and projects show up at your door regularly.

I've spent weeks welding on trenchers, more weeks welding on horse corrals, have built cages for solar inverter equipment on the rez. I started in shop class back in junior high school and it's come in quite handy over the years, before I forgot how.

Name:  trencher 002.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  341.3 KB
    President and CEO of the I Hate Jordy Fan Club.

I started with stick and oxy/acetylene and moved up to mig. I keep thinking I need to combine a few of these and pick up TIG.

Name:  20170508_155516.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  442.4 KB
    President and CEO of the I Hate Jordy Fan Club.

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    My buddy coaches me on tig welding, “when the vagina opens up, put the rod to it...”

My best tip is to pay someone else to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpChange View Post
    My best tip is to pay someone else to do it.

lol