Anyone remember Don Rossi twin Ford 427 SOHC Hemi Ocean Racer

Hello all

I am new here just seeing if anyone is still alive knowing or remembering Don Rossi of Hayward California. He built and owned an ocean racer with two 427 SOHC Hemi engines. My dad NHRA Pro Stock racer Jim Demmitt Sr built and tuned them. This was back in 1971-72 the boat was fast in the open ocean
    Last edited by Cammer427; 05-13-2020 at 01:19 AM.
    Quest for WWSR JDR "Infinity" Rocket Boat Project

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    I don’t recall seeing a twin cammer powered vintage boat on any of the forums BUT there are a few folks on here that would know if there was one

Too bad Bobby, GN7 isn’t with us, he would know for sure!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeeep.... I’m thinking Harlan or Jerry G will know

Cammer 427, I found some online references to Don Rossi but it was relate to drag cars. Are you the BOSS 429 KK guy?

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    Cammer 427, I found some online references to Don Rossi but it was relate to drag cars. Are you the BOSS 429 KK guy?
    Thanks for looking. Yes, I am Boss429KK1708 there was a photo write up in the Ca Bay Area news paper back in the mid 70's about his boat. Don sold it later on installed two 454 Chevys for the new owner. My dad got the Cammers and all parts from him

Hi Jim Jr, right?

I'm the local ford weirdo, I will check in with Harlan O. and Jerry G. to see what they know about the boat.

I suspect if it is an early ocean racer that they may not have much info BUT you never know with those cats...

I've divorced myself from FB so I will reach out to them via text message or some other way, keep checking back...

DId you glean any info on the cammer fords on making them live in the NHRA or in the race boat environment? There have been many lengthy discussions on the related forums over the years.

Aside from the usual race prep for engines, Ed Pink came up with a much harder than stock timing chain which was critical to keeping things in time and prevent breakage. I read that in an interview/expose that Ed did specifically on the history of the cammer in top fuel applications.

Our dearly departed Bob GN7 Graeff used to really stir it up on the topic of ford Cammers in top fuel applications.

There have been some pictures of really sweet flat bottoms and hydros surface over the years in these forums.

Respectfully
    Bruce 2MM
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

-In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    Hi Jim Jr, right?

I'm the local ford weirdo, I will check in with Harlan O. and Jerry G. to see what they know about the boat.

I suspect if it is an early ocean racer that they may not have much info BUT you never know with those cats...

I've divorced myself from FB so I will reach out to them via text message or some other way, keep checking back...

DId you glean any info on the cammer fords on making them live in the NHRA or in the race boat environment? There have been many lengthy discussions on the related forums over the years.

Aside from the usual race prep for engines, Ed Pink came up with a much harder than stock timing chain which was critical to keeping things in time and prevent breakage. I read that in an interview/expose that Ed did specifically on the history of the cammer in top fuel applications.

Our dearly departed Bob GN7 Graeff used to really stir it up on the topic of ford Cammers in top fuel applications.

There have been some pictures of really sweet flat bottoms and hydros surface over the years in these forums.

Respectfully
    Bruce 2MM
    Bruce, yes this Jim Jr

I remember Holman Moody had a 427 SOHC drag boat and there was another with two cammers in line. Our friend Bill Meyers had a 427 High Riser drag boat he almost won the Salton Sea race his Whip Strut something happened it started flooding the boat. Did you know Ron Miller Ford Power Parts had made a 427 SOHC gear drive that cleared the front cover. It was something like Pete Robinsons SOHC gear drive. The part number 1875 I herd he sold the place the last time I was at his place was 1992. He had lots of rare 427 parts and new Blue Thunder parts a true Ford Mans candy store