How does the new 8.2 430HP perform compared with the 496 HO it replaces?

I've heard the talk. How does the new mill compare to the old 496 the same hull?

I'm not sure, however if I wouldn't bother upgrading to it from an HO. Waste of mula IMO.

the new engine is just the old 502 of years ago built in house by mercury marine. when g.m. stopped making the 496 mercury needed a replacement so they built a supercharged small block but it did not make the torque they where looking for so they decided being g.m. still makes the 502 block that they would just build them instead. it is the same setup as the 525 but just detuned and i think it does not use the aluminum cylinder heads like the 525. it also still has the same oil consumption it had back when the 502 came to the market.

Doesn't one have a forged crankshaft and the other one doesn't?

Wendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailer Park Casanova View Post
    Doesn't one have a forged crankshaft and the other one doesn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by Decided Advantage View Post
    I've heard the talk. How does the new mill compare to the old 496 the same hull?
    Unfortunately I don't have the answer but just wanted to welcome you both to www.hotboat.com. Enjoy!

FYI. I got my answer. Both acceleration and top end are down slightly with the new 502. In a two day trip on the ol' Miss, the 430HP 502 is MUCH MORE THRISTY than the ol' 496HO. sorry no meaningfully mileage numbers but the the 502 had to stop for fuel half way back up the river on a trip that has always was done in less that an 85 gallon tank of fuel.

I think I'll keep the 496.