Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar

I think about this guy ALOT.......

I first met Amos at the Bixby Knolls CACKLEFEST in 2010 or 2011

From a 2004 write up on NHRA.com:

Amos Satterlee: “Famous Amos” Satterlee has been setting records for a long time. He’s just not in the car – or boat – when the records are set. Like many, he started as a driver, but soon found out that his talents were in engine building and tuning. The La Habra, Calif.-based Satterlee’s engines are world famous. “My engines and tuning have 16 world championships ,” Satterlee said.

With Art Chrisman and Frank Cannon, he built Hustler 5 – which, according to Satterlee, ran the unofficial first 200 mph Top Fuel dragster on Chrondek clocks in July, 1964, a feat generally attributed to Don Garlits. “ We did it before he did. Garlits’ claims it. I hate to embarrass the old man, but facts are facts. Frank Cannon deserves the recognition. Art Chrisman knows about it. He was part of the deal then,” he said. “ I run a Top Fuel sand dragster now. We hold all the records in sand drags.”

Satterlee is proud of his accomplishments in NHRA Funny Car competition as well. “We won a whole bunch of races with Craig Epperly in a Funny Car. We worked with Mickey Thompson and Danny Ongais and won almost everything. We won Indy that year. It is a very big race. Back in those days, it was a very big race.”

He was known as the “guru” of Ford fuel altereds as far back as 1976, when he tuned John Aleman’s SOHC 23T. He’s been married to Armida, who most of the old-timers call “Billy,” for 55 years. “She’s a good woman, put up with me and racing all these years.” He has two sons, three daughters, eight grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. He’s still an engine tuner, both in cars and drag boats and currently wrenches on a 1995 Oldsmobile Funny Car and on a Top Fuel Hydro boat for Speed Sports

w/ yours truly
    Name:  amos s.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  65.7 KB

w/our own WAGS the dragboat GURU
    Name:  Amos and Wags.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  52.6 KB

w/Lou O. owner of SpeedSport TFH
    Name:  lou o. and amos s..jpg
Views: 323
Size:  63.4 KB

The home town crew
    Name:  Amos and the home town gang.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  amos satterlee old pic.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  76.3 KB

Name:  famous amos s.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  97.1 KB
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 08-23-2016 at 03:07 PM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Very cool. But you said Bixby Knolls and cackle fest in the same sentence. Can that be possible? Bixby Knolls. The same Bixby Knolls I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    Very cool. But you said Bixby Knolls and cackle fest in the same sentence. Can that be possible? Bixby Knolls. The same Bixby Knolls I know?
    Si senior... I have videos, smack at the intersection of Carson and Atlantic... it was an incredible car show and the old slingshots/altereds/diggers they had was absolutely incredible... Old rails that I have only read about, they had them there... There were so many cars running, and such a huge crowd that I couldn't get anywhere close enuff for video...

In these little video clips you can only see about 1/4 of the cars, when the nitro started clouding up people started running for the hills... There were a few that had some POP in the tank, it was like tear gas...

Amos was sitting there near Shirley Muldowney and the rail you see in the last pic above ^^^, I think it was Dave Mandella that introduced me to Amos...

Last edited by 2manymustangs; 08-23-2016 at 04:29 PM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

You can see Amos playing around in this one with Shirley's car at 1:16

This was the weekend I first met Spike, at the Marina Pacifica DON EDWARDS drag boat book signing...

Last edited by 2manymustangs; 08-23-2016 at 04:38 PM.

That Bixby Knolls show was an awesome event, I live due West in the Los Cerritos/ Virginia Country Club area and we loved it! The best part was when people would try to bump in front of my boys and I as we were lined up for the Nitro cars to fie off. The Boys would get mad but after the first time we let the people get right up on the car and they took a big swallow of that Nitro the boys understood why we let them push forward too Bad it stopped never know the politics of it but it was a great car show as well for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanger_Spectra View Post
    That Bixby Knolls show was an awesome event, I live due West in the Los Cerritos/ Virginia Country Club area and we loved it! The best part was when people would try to bump in front of my boys and I as we were lined up for the Nitro cars to fie off. The Boys would get mad but after the first time we let the people get right up on the car and they took a big swallow of that Nitro the boys understood why we let them push forward too Bad it stopped never know the politics of it but it was a great car show as well for a few years.
    Ya, I contacted the city a few years back to see when it was going to take place AND got the word that it wasn't... anymore... :(

I've never had the pleasure of meeting Amos Satterlee, but I sure as hell know who he is. He is unique and talented, worthy of any accolade given . It's sad to think that more of the peers from the era of "big name" engine guys aren't with us today. It is from their talents that we learn. P.S., I attended the Bixby Knowles event twice and it was a scene. Had a conversation with Shirley Muldowney there, friend Dave Mandella ( yes related ) was the project manager on the restoration of one of her fuelers, which was there on display.
    Last edited by spike morelli; 08-23-2016 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spike morelli View Post
    I've never had the pleasure of meeting Amos Satterlee, but I sure as hell know who he is. He is unique and talented, worthy of any accolade given . It's sad to think that more of the peers from the era of "big name" engine guys aren't with us today. It is from their talents that we learn. P.S., I attended the Bixby Knowles event twice and it was a scene. Had a conversation with Shirley Muldowney there, friend Dave Mandella ( yes related ) was the project manager on the restoration of one of her fuelers, which was there on display.
    I've been wanting to do a sit down interview/video with Amos, I have talked to Lou and his wife about doing this. I don't know how often he gets to St Louis but I think he is a pretty accessible guy. My video guy (my son) is in St Louis and Amos is here in CA......

I need to get this done...

It's amazing Spike, he is at the drag boat races which are inevitably SCORCHING HOT and there is Amos, bustin his azzzzz, inspecting parts, doing head assembly between rounds... If only I could have his brain/mojo/motivation...

:( just found out that Famos Amos had a bad stroke around April of last year... :(

He is hanging in there but not doing real great...

Name:  amos and ongias and thompson.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  97.3 KB
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 01-26-2017 at 04:10 PM.

From "NETWORK 54.com"

Correction! Was reminded that Danny O won 11 of 12 drivng Thompson's blue F/C. Not sure they were all National Events but heck, that's one hell of a win ratio.

From February through July 1969, Danny On-the-gas compiled a 55-2 round win/loss record.

Wins included:
    The March Meet
    Las Vegas Stardust Nationals
    AHRA Grand American Nationals
    AHRA Springnationals
    Nhra Springnationals
    Orange County Nitro Championships (was there!)
    Oh yeah...the US Nationals

Surprisingly, Ongias didn't qualify at the NHRA Winternationals but was unbeatable after that. The car recorded the first F/C six second run, a 6.96 at Kansas City on Septenber 14 1969.

We Ford guys would love to give all the credit to the Amos Satterlee built cammer...but the Pat Foster chassis, with help of a newcomer named 'Lil John Buttera, was probably more of a deciding factor.

Name:  Mickey2_zps7ab85afe.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  68.5 KB