Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Land of 10,000 .......................... fLakes

Need info from old drag racers.

Hi

What sort of class designation letters would have been on the roof pillar of a 1967 Dodge Dart GT with a 440 back in '67-68?

All factory HT, single carb, 425 horse, street tires, automatic. Maybe a high 13 second car........

I was gonna guess somthing like A/S or FS/A but started seeing others and figured I needed hep on this so it's close to correct.

Thanks

Wish this place wasn't going where other forums have gone.........places I don't go.
    Posted from my Etch A Sketch

Not sure what class someone would, or could, run that car in. I'm sure it could run in more than just one class. My Boss has a '57 Chevy that he runs ANRA in A/GS...….I added a letter to his window so it read FA/GS ! He wasn't amused...….

Quote Originally Posted by spike morelli View Post
    Not sure what class someone would, or could, run that car in. I'm sure it could run in more than just one class. My Boss has a '57 Chevy that he runs ANRA in A/GS...….I added a letter to his window so it read FA/GS ! He wasn't amused...….
    Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    REMEMBER firstly there was IHRA and NHRA... Different sanctioning bodies, different designations, intentionally...

wow, your tapping into some OLD dark cobweb infested corner of my grey matter Johnny...

There were super stock classes for auto and stick... Let me think for a bit...

Are you building a clone OR are you researching specific car/barn find?

The A/FX was for the cars that were altered wheel base and factory experimental as I recall... And evolved to floppers/funny cars...

I may need to PHONE A FRIEND...

We need ole GN7...

Hey Chris/CandACE, can we summons JoMaMa to the red phone here???
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 08-31-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

This is a good starting point... the Nostalgia Super Stock class is alive and well. I was close to the guys from http://www.422motorsports.com when I had my 64 galaxie together and running. Those guys are a wealth of information (east coast guys from NJ area). They have cars from ford/chebby/mopuppy and don't discriminate so long as the cars are fast AND N/SS legal. Many of the cars are original factory lightweights OR restored original drag cars from the 60s... Super cool gang of racers...

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp...ysler-powered/
    Hemi Super StockA limited electronics class open to all vehicles originally intended for Super Stock competition. Races will be a full quarter-mile with a .500-second full tree. All vehicles must be Chrysler Hemi-powered. The following vehicles are eligible to compete: SS/A ’68 Dart and Barracuda; SS/B ’64-’65 Dodge and Plymouth B-Body two-door; SS/C ’64-’65 Dodge and Plymouth B-Body wagon; SS/D ’67 Coronet and Belvedere two-door; SS/E ’66 Coronet and Belvedere two-door; ’70-’71 Challenger and Barracuda; SS/F ’66-’67 Coronet and Belvedere wagon; ’68-’70 Coronet and Belvedere two-door; ’71 Charger and Satellite two-door. Clone cars acceptable. Automatic and manual transmission cars will no longer compete in separate classes. All vehicles must dial at or below established class index during eliminations: SS/AA=10.20, SS/BA=10.40, SS/CA=10.55, SS/DA=10.70, SS/EA=10.85, SS/FA=10.95. Permanent class designation must appear on your windshield prior to entering the staging lanes. Drivers will compete in heads-up trophy class run-offs and in an all-run dial-in cash eliminator. Contestants will qualify based on running furthest below their index during the first round of class run-offs. Cars will run on a Sportsman Ladder (1-5, 2-6, 3-7, 4-8, and so on) beginning with the second round of cash eliminations. Competitors are not eligible to compete in any other categories, regardless of e.t., except Gambler’s races.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostal...,_1955_to_1985

These cars, many street-driven to the strip and then (with good fortune) back home after the race, were grouped in fast-to-slow alphabetical classes (A/S, B/S, C/S, etc.) determined by horsepower-to-weight factors in wide ranges.

In 1960, optional classes (A/SA, B/SA, C/SA, etc.) for cars equipped with automatic transmissions were added.
    This evolution led to the establishment by NHRA of the Optional Super Stock (O/SS, 1961), Super Super Stock (SS/S, 1962) and Factory Experimental (FX, also 1962) categories, followed by Modified Production (MP, 1963), in an effort to keep pace with the fast-moving technology.

Also in 1963, in cooperation with other governing national and international authorities, NHRA limited maximum engine size to 427 cubic inches (7 liters) and in 1964, started using its own horsepower factors, mainly to correct notoriously low ratings from the manufacturers.

By 1965, some of these factory and privateer purpose-built FX vehicles, like the long-established ‘Gasser’ and ‘Altered’ classes, featured changed wheelbases, fuel injection and forced air induction (blowers) - configurations not even an infinite amount of rationalization could justify as ‘Stock’ or even ‘Super Stock.’

In 1966, NHRA put the increasingly radical FX cars – some now fueled with nitromethane - into their own eliminator, officially called ‘Experimental Stock.’ But popularly they had been called ‘Funny Cars’ for some time, reflecting a common comment, “That car sure looks funny.”

You could google "ramchargers or sox and martin" that would get you mopar specific info. You may find info specific to the dodge dart factory drag cars. by the late 60s it would have been at the peak of factory SS racing so there were certainly some factory backed cars to reference.

This is the car that I was cloning before our local nostalgic drag strip closed, original car that now resides in a private collection Unrestored and is flawless (note the Jr. Stock Eliminator classification):

Name:  64 Ford Galaxie SS - Desert Motors.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  209.9 KB

Name:  Drag Strip Test 1.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  73.1 KB

Name:  Drag Strip Test 2.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  127.5 KB

Note "SS/EA" designation:

Name:  sc0517-282946_2.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  81.5 KB
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 08-31-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Melrose Missle was a car that came to mind when you mentioned Dodge Dart:

Name:  5173925949001_5255135005001_5255121201001-vs.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  85.4 KB

https://www.nhra.com/videos/2016/night-museum-melrose-missile-iii

Name:  1964-dodge-dart-gasser-nostalgic-drag-car-10.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  1964-dodge-dart-gasser-nostalgic-drag-car-11.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  44.6 KB
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 08-31-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.12.31 PM.png
Views: 79
Size:  337.8 KB

Name:  016-ramchargers-afx-1964-Hemi-Dodge-engine-exhaust.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  128.5 KB
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 08-31-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Land of 10,000 .......................... fLakes
    FA/GS.....lol .... I thought needed numbers on an old turd jet to go drag race and went with 510....the font I used made it appear as 'slo'

Thanks to all replies.

I built a 67 Dart GT and stuffed a 440 in it, paint has some minor flaws that really bug the sh*t outta me but I am not redoing it.

Painter told me to pound sand and legal action will cost as much as fixing it. Moving on.

So now I'm considered getting it lettered up on the doors, fenders, quarters and pillars as a late 60's "gas station racer."

It would be something different and the boogers would be covered up.

2MM....cool pixand helpful info, thanx. I've NEVER seen those crazy header dump pipes before.

This would be a clone deal here, it was a small block GT car with a clean body, thank you California.....

Name:  Image 9-1-18 at 6.59 AM.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  485.7 KB
    Posted from my Etch A Sketch