Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boat load of parts..

When I bought this boat the guy randomly started putting extra parts in it that "go with the boat". Im new to jet boats and to be honest, have no idea if any of these components are worth messing with.
    Installed on the boat is a 12JE-A pump that is supposed to be in good shape but has been "modified" according to the previous order. I don't know what to look for but I got everything for such a good deal that it really didn't matter at the time.
    The boat originally had a 455 Olds which is long gone but he did give me the manifolds, bell housing, u-joints etc in case I wanted to go back with that power plant. I didn't pay too much attention to the other components he gave me at the time but he did give me what I believe is the remnants of a JC pump, and extra bowl, a diverter some odd and end cables etc.
    Would you guys mind giving the pics a once over and letting me know what you think? Im going to assume that the pump or some components on the pump that are attached to the boat may be bad and that's why he had the JC. Either that or he just collected parts and wanted to get rid of everything. The boat needs ALOT but the price was right so any good news is a step in the right direction. Check out the pics and let me know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    John Johnson

Ridetech Suspension
    Direct: 812-481-4737
    Email: jjohnson@ridetech.com

http://ridetech.com

lol. Looks like the guy wanted a clean garage when the boat left!

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpChange View Post
    lol. Looks like the guy wanted a clean garage when the boat left!
    Yea. That was my thoughts as well.
    John Johnson

Ridetech Suspension

if your asking about re-selling the parts, no there give aways. if you need a "hobby" to fill all your free time you just found it. actually the trumpets look to be in good shape. there guys that just love restoring these things, same guys that love restoring Hot Rods, Good Luck.

Oh no. I didn't to get rid of anything until I figured out exactly what I needed and what I didn't. I just didn't know if what I had was worth using as a foundation for a build or if I was just going to be starting with a hull.
    Also, I dont really see anything of the same piece twice so I was wondering if anyone could offer up some advice on which components would be best to build on.
    John Johnson

Ridetech Suspension

What's on the boat is better than what he gave you from what I see in the pics. You've got the split bowl, with a wedge, which is not a big plus depending on what you're trying to do, and a diverter. That is the setup to have as a baseline. Down the road, I'd pull the wedge and put a droop snoot on as that will lower your thrust line and should give you more top end as you'll have less boat in the water in theory.

I wouldn't waste time on anything Olds in a boat. They have oiling problems, and while there are work arounds, like adding extra drain lines to the heads, restricting oil flow to the top end, you'll be time and money ahead to off that stuff and got with a big block Chevy, where parts are much more affordable and readily available. There are some die hard Olds guys out there, and the parts are getting harder to come by, so they may be worth something to the right person.
    President and CEO of the I Hate Jordy Fan Club.

Thanks for the info.
    I plan on blowing apart whats on the boat and going through everything real good to make sure its all in good shape before I get too deep into it.
    What are your guys thoughts on running an LS with a power adder? The only reason why I was contemplating doing this is because I have a few of them sitting around.
    I would like to keep it more traditional looking, maybe run a Holley Tunnel Ram w/ 2 throttle bodies and a plate system for a little extra kick. I could dress it up to make it look more like a traditional small block but with out the cost of going and finding another engine to build.
    John Johnson

Ridetech Suspension

I'm a huge fan of the LS platform as my Jeep needs one, but am unsold on marine applications, especially in a jet boat setting. I've seen a Northstar in full dress in one before and it was kind of a turd, more than a normal jet boat anyway. I like the idea of doing something different, but don't know that I've seen anything along the lines of a tunnel ram for that platform. Not to mention, you'd then end up with the tunnel ram issues with fat and lean conditions from cylinder to cylinder. If I were going to do it, I'd leave it in tact, fuel injected, and turnkey.

Finnegan and Freiburger put an LS1 in a 74 Rogers on one of the episodes of Roadkill.(google: BoatKill) They ran a Holley TR with twin carbs on it and an MSD6 marine ignition box, ran like a champ. If I could repower mine I'd put an LS in it in a heartbeat. TR or original FI you'll be golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post
    Finnegan and Freiburger put an LS1 in a 74 Rogers on one of the episodes of Roadkill.(google: BoatKill) They ran a Holley TR with twin carbs on it and an MSD6 marine ignition box, ran like a champ. If I could repower mine I'd put an LS in it in a heartbeat. TR or original FI you'll be golden.
    The newer engines, like the LS just aren't sexy and sleek looking like a big block Chevy with polished out valve covers and the like, hence the need for all the plastic covers it seems. I did google it and apparently there are quite a few tunnel ram options. Just something I've never considered for what I want to do with an LS. I like fuel injection too much to go backwards I suppose.