Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown-Flat View Post
    John did you get some help on installing the strut in the right place yet?

Those struts have to be perfectly in the right place which I'm sure you know.
    no - i am just now ready to install the strut and need - ok- would like some help - im not sure on what size to drill the hole but i have laid it out and it appears the strut will work with my 12 degree v drive - the 10 degree vdrive does not fit as well- the 12 is dead nuts - aligns with shaft angle and engine

i have measured half a dozen fast flattys and every single one was 29 to 31 inches from back of cav plates - does this sound right ?

so i took the 31 inch reading as gospel - and 3 boats were all 19 ft - - since my boat is so short - i did the math and im ready to set this strut at 26 inches from the back of my cav plates - anyone that has a better idea based on experience i sure could use your help - i am just guessing using as much common sense as i have-- it aint much

26 inches from back of plates to back of strut
    75.5 inches back of transom to center plate on vdrive
    24 inches from transom to back of blockName:  20201029_120432.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  522.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by fastfunco; 11-08-2020 at 06:35 PM. Reason: more info--
    If you can Imagine It- we can make it!

Quote Originally Posted by fastfunco View Post
    no - i am just now ready to install the strut and need - ok- would like some help - im not sure on what size to drill the hole but i have laid it out and it appears the strut will work with my 12 degree v drive - the 10 degree vdrive does not fit as well- the 12 is dead nuts - aligns with shaft angle and engine

i have measured half a dozen fast flattys and every single one was 29 to 31 inches from back of cav plates - does this sound right ?

so i took the 31 inch reading as gospel - and 3 boats were all 19 ft - - since my boat is so short - i did the math and im ready to set this strut at 26 inches from the back of my cav plates - anyone that has a better idea based on experience i sure could use your help - i am just guessing using as much common sense as i have-- it aint much

26 inches from back of plates to back of strut
    75.5 inches back of transom to center plate on vdrive
    24 inches from transom to back of blockName:  20201029_120432.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  522.4 KB

i guess nobody either knows how to help or just dont want to stick their necks out - this has been a 5 year project and my mentor a racer and champion named Jack Oxley taught me how to make plugs and molds ecc- we experimented with this hull in 1/4 scale remote control boats and ended up with a boat that won national and world championships - we always felt it was a good idea to let the 1/4 scale version take the learning curve than the real boat- however-- Jack has long ago passed away and this i did as a tribute - and its been alot of fun- i will be sure to let you guys know - all 3 or 4 of you?? how this thing does -- yes the engine is alot of motor for a 16 ft boat but top fuel and blown alcohol boats have a much higher HP to length issue than i do -- - i really dont know if strut location is relevant to length and HP - or if it is a set location regardless of them! wish i did - but in the last 2 years while i have been finishing the top - not 1 person has given any advice - nor have i met anyone with experience in a short boat - - as far as design - yes its way different - the step in the bottom was the last thing we thought would work- everyone said - IT WILL NEVER WORK- ITS GUNNA TAKE FLIGHT- but again- these are all bench racers who really have no idea for they never tried it - The first time out was a rough windy day- we thought well--- if it works in this water we got a winner-- - first lap wide open the bow came up started to get to the oh shit zone -- and she unloaded and set flat every single time - the boat ran like a hydro dancing on the 2 small sponsons and prop - That 1/4 scale did 71 mph on radar - and power to weight ration was much better than the real baot - but the slower it ran the better it handled so thats why i went forward with the design -- for the guy who commented its alot oof HP for experimenting -- I have a question-- how will i know if its going to work or not if i put any less to the prop ? anything that floats will work if you go slow enough -- supercharged boats on pump gas are a total joke in my neck of the woods where it gets to be 130 in the summer -- Alky runs nice and cold and i wont have to worry about detonation -- my hopes are to eventually build one with a twin turbo LS engine - but funds just not there for this one -
    If you can Imagine It- we can make it!

did you figure this out? I can easure my 16'er.