Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by fastfunco View Post
    no - i am just now ready to install the strut and need - ok- would like some help - im not sure on what size to drill the hole but i have laid it out and it appears the strut will work with my 12 degree v drive - the 10 degree vdrive does not fit as well- the 12 is dead nuts - aligns with shaft angle and engine

i have measured half a dozen fast flattys and every single one was 29 to 31 inches from back of cav plates - does this sound right ?

so i took the 31 inch reading as gospel - and 3 boats were all 19 ft - - since my boat is so short - i did the math and im ready to set this strut at 26 inches from the back of my cav plates - anyone that has a better idea based on experience i sure could use your help - i am just guessing using as much common sense as i have-- it aint much

26 inches from back of plates to back of strut
    75.5 inches back of transom to center plate on vdrive
    24 inches from transom to back of blockName:  20201029_120432.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  522.4 KB

i guess nobody either knows how to help or just dont want to stick their necks out - this has been a 5 year project and my mentor a racer and champion named Jack Oxley taught me how to make plugs and molds ecc- we experimented with this hull in 1/4 scale remote control boats and ended up with a boat that won national and world championships - we always felt it was a good idea to let the 1/4 scale version take the learning curve than the real boat- however-- Jack has long ago passed away and this i did as a tribute - and its been alot of fun- i will be sure to let you guys know - all 3 or 4 of you?? how this thing does -- yes the engine is alot of motor for a 16 ft boat but top fuel and blown alcohol boats have a much higher HP to length issue than i do -- - i really dont know if strut location is relevant to length and HP - or if it is a set location regardless of them! wish i did - but in the last 2 years while i have been finishing the top - not 1 person has given any advice - nor have i met anyone with experience in a short boat - - as far as design - yes its way different - the step in the bottom was the last thing we thought would work- everyone said - IT WILL NEVER WORK- ITS GUNNA TAKE FLIGHT- but again- these are all bench racers who really have no idea for they never tried it - The first time out was a rough windy day- we thought well--- if it works in this water we got a winner-- - first lap wide open the bow came up started to get to the oh shit zone -- and she unloaded and set flat every single time - the boat ran like a hydro dancing on the 2 small sponsons and prop - That 1/4 scale did 71 mph on radar - and power to weight ration was much better than the real baot - but the slower it ran the better it handled so thats why i went forward with the design -- for the guy who commented its alot oof HP for experimenting -- I have a question-- how will i know if its going to work or not if i put any less to the prop ? anything that floats will work if you go slow enough -- supercharged boats on pump gas are a total joke in my neck of the woods where it gets to be 130 in the summer -- Alky runs nice and cold and i wont have to worry about detonation -- my hopes are to eventually build one with a twin turbo LS engine - but funds just not there for this one -
    If you can Imagine It- we can make it!

did you figure this out? I can easure my 16'er.