Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie from KY--1st Jet Boat

Hey folks!
    Just picked up my first Jet Boat project and through the course of researching what I do (and don't) have, there were multiple references back to this site.
    My background is more automotive related but I got the Jet Boat bug back when I was little watching them fly up and down the river here close to home. I'm new to the Jet Boat game in general but was able to pick up an abandoned project for less than nothing. Its pretty rough but MAY be a good start, I guess I will find out as I move along.
    I was able to acquire a 1977 Sleek Craft. Overall, I like the style of the boat but the interior, engine and just about everything are gone. It does still have a 12JE in place (I was told it was still good) but also came with the remnants of a 12JC. He gave me motor mounts, manifolds, bellhousing and other accessories for a 455 Olds. Overall, I don't really have a "plan" of of yet but I would definitely appreciate any feedback you can give me. In all honesty, I have about $150 in the entire thing the way it sits so if its junk, you wont hurt my feelings!
    Thanks again in advance for your help and feedback!

-John Johnson
    Account Manager
    Ridetech Suspension
    812-481-4737
    jjohnson@ridetech.com

Name:  Resized_20180311_132230.jpeg
Views: 184
Size:  836.2 KB

Name:  Resized_20180311_173732.jpeg
Views: 187
Size:  146.2 KB

Name:  Resized_20180311_173852.jpeg
Views: 184
Size:  797.0 KB

Name:  Resized_20180312_201332.jpeg
Views: 181
Size:  656.9 KB

Name:  Resized_20180312_201138.jpeg
Views: 131
Size:  296.1 KB

Name:  Resized_20180311_161744.jpeg
Views: 178
Size:  976.0 KB

Looks like a project. keep the pics coming.

Big project right there.
    First thing to check is the stringers. Make sure they're solid.
    Sleek Craft's typically have 1/4 stringers or what some call a motor box. If it's a full stringer boat and they're in good condition that's even better.
    Also with 1/4 stringer boats, they usually have a subfloor which is part of the structural rigidity and strength of the boat.
    I would ditch the Olds for a BBC. So much easier to get parts for a chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by 76Bonneville View Post
    Big project right there.
    First thing to check is the stringers. Make sure they're solid.
    Sleek Craft's typically have 1/4 stringers or what some call a motor box. If it's a full stringer boat and they're in good condition that's even better.
    Also with 1/4 stringer boats, they usually have a subfloor which is part of the structural rigidity and strength of the boat.
    I would ditch the Olds for a BBC. So much easier to get parts for a chevy.

I agree about the olds thing, find a big block chevy. Oldsmobiles are known for oiling issues in jet boats. I have a rail kit for a big block Chevy I would sell you cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! I sure do appreciate the advice.
    I went over the boat pretty good just to make sure there wasn't any severe rot or hole. Luckily, as of now, everything seems to be okay. Its definitely a project for sure.
    I was thinking about running an LS in it. I have a couple of them laying around that would be a good candidate for the boat with a little modification.
    Are LS swaps pretty common?
    John Johnson

Ridetech Suspension
    Direct: 812-481-4737
    Email: jjohnson@ridetech.com

http://ridetech.com

Land of 10,000 .......................... fLakes
    technology is difficult for me
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JohnnyRotten; 03-15-2018 at 07:37 AM.
    Posted from my Etch A Sketch

Land of 10,000 .......................... fLakes
    Looks like a Rebel. I have a '75 Kauai with Ford/Panther power.

No record breaker but great bar hopper river runner.

Check out Vintage Jet Boat Forums. Lots of info and knowledge on these old turds over there. http://www.vintagejetboats.com/forum.php

Name:  Image 3-15-18 at 9.31 AM (1).jpg
Views: 156
Size:  358.0 KB
    Last edited by JohnnyRotten; 03-15-2018 at 07:39 AM.
    Posted from my Etch A Sketch

Cool

Right on, look's to be a nice little project, I would definitely go threw the pump, keep us posted on your progress with pic's of course, welcome to the site
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by foxfam312; 03-15-2018 at 08:34 AM.

looking at the pics, I gotta ask did you find that boat on the bottom of a lake somewhere ? just about any boat can be brought back to life for enough $$$ for a reference point you can find complete running jet boats for $2500. and up. If your a garage mechanic you picked the right project, good luck. keep posting pics.

at one time I scanned the sleekcraft brochure that had your model and stored them on photobucket. I just now went to photobucket to get them but photobucket said no I can't, WTF ?
    Last edited by El Toro; 03-15-2018 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRotten View Post
    Looks like a Rebel. I have a '75 Kauai with Ford/Panther power.

No record breaker but great bar hopper river runner.

Check out Vintage Jet Boat Forums. Lots of info and knowledge on these old turds over there. http://www.vintagejetboats.com/forum.php

Name:  Image 3-15-18 at 9.31 AM (1).jpg
Views: 156
Size:  358.0 KB

Johnny if that is a recent pic ? that boat is a real survivor. looks showroom new.