Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How would you fix this?

So the bimini attachment ripped out of the windshield frame. The screws are stripped and because of the size of the thing it hooks to I don't think a bigger diameter screw will work. It looks like somebody might have tried to JB weld it before. Any ideas?

Name:  IMG_5135.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  405.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5137.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  435.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5138.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  218.9 KB

JB Weld.

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpChange View Post
    JB Weld.
    How strong is that shit?

File the old holes down move it forward or back and re drill and tap them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by K-034 View Post
    File the old holes down move it forward or back and re drill and tap them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    what about nut zerts??

another way might be to pop rivet it..I know I could fix it if I was there...bring it by my house and I'll fix it... I've done so much with so little for so long, I now can do anything with nothing....lol....the other way could be to run longer screws that grab the other side of the tube... or through bolt it with nuts on the other side... looks like it's an on going problem that need to be re engineered ...first figure out why it's coming loose... then the fix will be permanent ....is the attaching part aluminum? you could cut out the section and weld thicker metal that you could thread...
    but I have a welding fab shop...and like I said... just bring it by and I'll fix it to where you never have the problem again...

after looking at the pic again... kinda hard with the scroll lines,... but now, I'll say I have fixed these before with stainless pop rivets,...you might wanna make sure you are doing the straps tight enough...

do you have a pic with it on the boat

Can you remove the frame from the glass? If so, go with Steve’s pop rivet idea and put a back up strip inside of the rail. This will give you fresh holes for the rivets and will spread out the load a little bit.

Do they even make pop-rivets that big/fat ?