Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hallett 210 prop questions

what prop to run on a 210??? the hallett I just got has a hydromotive 24p four blade....I haven't tried it yet , btu, I think that is way wrong...
    my son runs a 24p bravo 1 with a carbed 454....my boat has the hp 500, I'm guessing I have 150 more hp..?? guessing....I would say that that boat would be able to spin a 26p to start...??? whatcha think?

Prop Slip Calculator

Is it important to know your prop’s slip? Only if you care about insignificant, little items like thrust.
    Slip is the most misunderstood of all propeller terms, probably because it sounds like something undesirable. Slip is not a measure of propeller efficiency. Rather, slip is the difference between actual and theoretical travel resulting from a necessary propeller blade angle of attack. If the blade had no angle of attack, there would be no slip; but, of course, there would be no positive and negative pressure created on the blades and, therefore, there would be no thrust. The Mercury Racing Prop Slip Calculator (below) lets you quickly determine propeller slip.
    Calculator

1. Propeller Pitch
      Calculate
    2. Gear Ratio
      Calculate
    3. Engine RPM
      Calculate
    4. Actual Speed (MPH)
      Calculate
    5. Propeller Slip

1. Propeller Pitch 24
      Calculate
    2. Gear Ratio 1.50
      Calculate
    3. Engine RPM 5000
      Calculate
    4. Actual Speed (MPH) 64
      Calculate
    5. Propeller Slip 15%..

so when I got this boat, the guy said it will run 90 mph.... I walked around back and looked at the prop...24p hydro, with out say'n a word I knew that that was BS...as you can see, at 5000 rpm, with 15% SLIP...64 MPH...GPS...SO KNOWING SOME OF THE FACTS, 24P PROP...1.50 gear, I took a guess, 15%...(might be less) and figuring 5000 rpm, ... nets you 64 mph,... far cry from 90 mph ...lol... unless he took the twin turbos off or something... not gonna happen...

so, my first guess is the prop is too small and it should be able to spin aat least a 26 p...

1. Propeller Pitch 26
      Calculate
    2. Gear Ratio 1.50
      Calculate
    3. Engine RPM 5000
      Calculate
    4. Actual Speed (MPH) 82
      Calculate
    5. Propeller Slip 0%

so as you can see...to get to 82 mph with this boat.. it would be at 0% slip

at 15% slip, you would be at 70 mph...10% slip would net 74 mph...

so in theory... and facts.. water test is needed... but were bench racing here so lets see what would happen if it could spin a 28p

1. Propeller Pitch 28
      Calculate
    2. Gear Ratio 1.50
      Calculate
    3. Engine RPM 5000
      Calculate
    4. Actual Speed (MPH) 75
      Calculate
    5. Propeller Slip 15%..

so now we are at 75 mph , that's with 15% slip, you could get to 80mph, with 10 % slip, for that to happen the wetted surface would have to be at a foot...in othe words, the boat would be fly'n on the tabs,... so not to realistic

So, the way I do this is to take some props and a vacume gauge out on the water...first to see how much it struggles to get on plne, then to see if it gets any vacume at cruising speed, and last to see what rpms it will turn...you will actually go faster with a smaller prop that gets to with wot recommended rpm (rev limit)

in this video, I was running a 26p on a 240 open bow,525 power, I would guess this boat would be comparable to a 210 with a 500 hp...so that's why I think the 210 should be able to easily pull a 26p

Good lord I miss this hallett, I think it had 40 hrs when I found it, 525 power, big ass open bow people hauler..