Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    here's Sues 26' deck boat with a 525...26p prop... I was able to run my secret wepon 29p on this boat, hauled ass...

sues first day out with her new boat..

I actually love halletts, and the 500 hp motors..but I'm not the brand loyal guy that won't say about the problems the 500 hp has...they have their problems , but easy fix's IMO.. #1 is the stock carb... they have to stagger jet it to fatten it up, but they still run lean on 5&7...and that where they like to burn through the head gasket.. somewhere in the manifold design there is a problem...next, the valve train, anything past 200 hrs' you are running on a prayer.... now, that all is gonna depend on how the boat was run for sure...running it WOT ...better check it out..I've had 6 of these motors start to come apart at 200 hrs..the roller rockers and lifters should be replaced... in fact... thats one of the requirement from merc...the next is the blind holes on the head bolts...the bolts bottom out and give false torque readings...with 5&7 running lean, they like to cook the valves, they tulip and will suck the valve/break the stem, and bye bye motor...

after having half a dozen of these motors go south, I made this video....those of you that know what you are looking at can also see where the head gasket let go,... this was one of the more mild ones as I have seen them to where it looked like someone took a cutting torch and burned through the block.. in every occasion , the problem was always between #5 & #7

I want that 240 you had. I've heard the 210s like Rev 4s as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hallett21 View Post
    I want that 240 you had. I've heard the 210s like Rev 4s as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what they really like, and respond to is no de-fuser ring...the rev four is also a big eared prop and slower..so my gain was best with a solas prop with out the ring

anyone wanna guess or know what prop % slip number will be???

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FORCEFULL View Post
    after having half a dozen of these motors go south, I made this video....those of you that know what you are looking at can also see where the head gasket let go,... this was one of the more mild ones as I have seen them to where it looked like someone took a cutting torch and burned through the block.. in every occasion , the problem was always between #5 & #7

2FF, there is absolutely NO reason with a tall open plenum intake (like the one in your engine pic - post #13) you should have a lean condition on 5/7. I'm not saying it isn't true but I sure can't see ANY logical reason at all. Maybe if it happens on always on the 525 style EFI intake it would make more sense but not on a tall VICTOR type open plenum intake. Run it fatter maybe OR take some timing out of the ignition with a RPM window switch on your MSD OR use one of the many MSD ignition components to bump the timing back at WOT...

Distance from the PRIMARY on the carb?

I have heard of this issue before on BBC but never thought to much about it since I'm a ford guy...

It would be interesting to talk to https://www.facebook.com/gordon.jennings.568 on this topic. He should have some solid input... My view is to jet and run it fatter OR take timing out at WOT (if the problem is only under HEAVY LOAT/WOT)...
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 12-09-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    2FF, there is absolutely NO reason with a tall open plenum intake (like the one in your engine pic - post #13) you should have a lean condition on 5/7. I'm not saying it isn't true but I sure can't see ANY logical reason at all. Maybe if it happens on always on the 525 style EFI intake it would make more sense but not on a tall VICTOR type open plenum intake. Run it fatter maybe OR take some timing out of the ignition with a RPM window switch on your MSD OR use one of the many MSD ignition components to bump the timing back at WOT...

Distance from the PRIMARY on the carb?

I have heard of this issue before on BBC but never thought to much about it since I'm a ford guy...

It would be interesting to talk to https://www.facebook.com/gordon.jennings.568 on this topic. He should have some solid input... My view is to jet and run it fatter OR take timing out at WOT (if the problem is only under HEAVY LOAT/WOT)...
    merc actually found the problem, that's why they stagger jet the carb to rich'n those cyl...