Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just curious, did you buy from a private party or off a small used car lot?
    That boat has been on CL multiples times over the last few years.

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 76Bonneville View Post
    I've had 2 boats regelled and for the most part I'm very happy with them. The issues is gelcoat doesn't flex, so if it's a little thick it will crack. Much harder to control the second time around.
    I would consider paint the next time. Labor on gel is intense.
    Most of the East Coast boats are paint.
    Yeeeeep, ^^^^ what I know about GEL would half fill a thimble... As I understand, the GEL is just colored poly resin which by itself isn't the toughest stuff in the world, especially if the film is thick... AND it's not really good when it comes to UV rays/sun...

On most all of the boat floors/flow coat/wood decks/paint, a high performance automotive clear urethane is the first pick for UV/color holdout...
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 2FORCEFULL View Post
    It would be nice to know the history of this hallett, for some reason I'm led to believe that at some point the deck was re gelled...that causing the checking..but.. it's also my opinion that the checking goes all the way into the fiberglass.. I used to own a body shop, when I would come across this on corvette's they would have to be stripped down to the glass, I would then feather fill the car, block the shit out of it and then prep for paint...most people would just leave it as is ...but that's not me..the checking will eat at me ...maybe sell it as is and move on..it's a nice nice boat other wise...but would never go to the next level...Attachment 67198
    And there is your answer

Quote Originally Posted by 76Bonneville View Post
    Just curious, did you buy from a private party or off a small used car lot?
    That boat has been on CL multiples times over the last few years.
    private party...

so, I have owned upwards of 20 halletts..jets to 270's... of the 20 ... everyone of them had gel issues...cracking, yellowing, fading, checking, bad repairs that the OG owners swore that they came from hallett that way... I have 3 in my stable right now... all 3 have issues....am I just too picky,... or just that lucky???

and the color combos are horrible.... but then, I'm more suttle. gray and red, gray and blue, gray and yellow, gray and orange...I've even own'd all white...

well, here's what I think...gel coat is a mechanical bond....that means that every time you spray it , it a new layer ... so , if the first layer, the layer that was sprayed in the mold. followed by the layers of glass, was sprayer in the window of time that is allow.... it becomes one..if not sprayed in time.... it becomes multiple layers.... right.... kinda like auto paint...with the exception of lacquer... which is a chemical bond... with lacquer, all the layers become one, that why lacquer will check because it's sprayer too thick, or not the right mixture of solvents...when lacquer checks , you have to strip it to bare metal and start over...

that's what I think is going on with this hallett...the checking is all the way down into the fiber glass...I'm not so sure it can be fixed proper as to where it won't come right back.... sure would like some input here from those in the know of a repair like this..I bought this boat sight unseen ,probley paid too much, but a guy could just leave it...but between the 3 of us 2ff's... two don't like it and wanna fix it , while one says... it's ok...the area is almost all white...but... that might be a tough match, hallett white tends to yellow and gray....so matching it would be tough.. as to not be able to tell it was fixed... the only way to fix gel coat proper is to panel spray, which means you have to spray to an edge to burry the gel...blending is a Band-Aid...and will sooner or later come back to haunt you..like the last hallett I had... the whole boat needed new gel coat... there was blending every where... and the gel was fanned out so thin that it died from the sun..maybe I'll put up some pics of the damage if there is any interest here.... my only hope is that the deck had been re sprayed some time in it's life.... that would be a mechanical bond and you would be able to sand out the checks...if not... they are all the way into the fiber glass... wish GELcoater from the other board would post over here as he is steeped in knowledge of the gel coat process..
    Good morning, Steve.
    First post on HB, and I'm a computer moron so I hope this sticks.

You've covered a lot here so I'll try to hit as much as I can.
    First, your idea of mechanical bond is wrong.
    It is indeed a chemical bond. The gel and resin are essentially the same product but the gel is a bit more refined and has pigments to make color. It also has a thicotipic element added to keep it from sagging/drooping when applied.

Gelcoat is air inhibited, it won't completely dry on top unless it has a surface agent added.
    It's this way on purpose to aid in that secondary bond you were right about.
    As far as a "window of time" to apply the glass I don't think I buy that.

The gel would prerelease from the mold before that happened. That would cause the boat to come out of the mold looking warped because the gel wasn't tight to the mold where ever it released.

As far as this checking you describe I'm not sure exactly what you mean?
    Can you post a few close up pics?

so, I have owned upwards of 20 halletts..jets to 270's... of the 20 ... everyone of them had gel issues...cracking, yellowing, fading, checking, bad repairs that the OG owners swore that they came from hallett that way... I have 3 in my stable right now... all 3 have issues....am I just too picky,... or just that lucky???

and the color combos are horrible.... but then, I'm more suttle. gray and red, gray and blue, gray and yellow, gray and orange...I've even own'd all white...
    Again, can you post some pics?

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelcoater View Post
    Good morning, Steve.
    First post on HB, and I'm a computer moron so I hope this sticks.

You've covered a lot here so I'll try to hit as much as I can.
    First, your idea of mechanical bond is wrong.
    It is indeed a chemical bond. The gel and resin are essentially the same product but the gel is a bit more refined and has pigments to make color. It also has a thicotipic element added to keep it from sagging/drooping when applied.

Gelcoat is air inhibited, it won't completely dry on top unless it has a surface agent added.
    It's this way on purpose to aid in that secondary bond you were right about.
    As far as a "window of time" to apply the glass I don't think I buy that.

The gel would prerelease from the mold before that happened. That would cause the boat to come out of the mold looking warped because the gel wasn't tight to the mold where ever it released.

As far as this checking you describe I'm not sure exactly what you mean?
    Can you post a few close up pics?
    Im anxious to sit/read/learn... Thanks for joining in this discussion and WELCOME to HB!!!
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Gelcoater View Post
    Again, can you post some pics?
    Man.... I have been try'n to talk to you for quite some time... I read your gel coat 1&2 and ended up with questions, one of which is where are you now???? havasu???
    I have the upmost respect for you and your knowledge of both halletts and gel coat... it's cold and windy in Vegas... but I'm gonna go snap a pic of the deck of the vector,... I even read what you had to say about repairs, and what you said about the 270 that had some gel issues..pretty spot on... but again I might need some more clarification on the mechanical VS chemical bond... If it's a chemical bond you'd be able to feather a gel repair and never have an issue.... like capping..
    Last edited by 2FORCEFULL; 12-05-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    Im anxious to sit/read/learn... Thanks for joining in this discussion and WELCOME to HB!!!
    X2, this guy knows an awful lot, and if he shares priceless ....I was try'n to get to him before I sold the 270, as he's the one that would tell you straight on the real fix....my fix was a for sale sign