Hybrid View

Why not Imron or something comparable? Gel coat is Gel coat.. Imron is harder.. I'm no expert but arent there alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by H20GZM View Post
    Why not Imron or something comparable? Gel coat is Gel coat.. Imron is harder.. I'm no expert but arent there alternatives?
    it seems to me in my dealings when you say boat, and painted... people seem to frown... which is better?..who knows...but I have owned boats that were painted...not much difference..other than an all original gel out of the mold will last longer if done right...when you paint a boat...things happen... one of which is you have a then layer over the gel..foreign products that don't mate... to paint a boat it is a mechanical bond which means you have to rely on the sand scratches to have the bond to the hull...... prone to the elements of how well it's prepped .... back in the day that was the only way to get a real custom job... now the evo painters can do some pretty amazing gel design.... I might be wrong here.. but I think cigarette boats are painted after they come out of the mold...

I've had 2 boats regelled and for the most part I'm very happy with them. The issues is gelcoat doesn't flex, so if it's a little thick it will crack. Much harder to control the second time around.
    I would consider paint the next time. Labor on gel is intense.
    Most of the East Coast boats are paint.

Quote Originally Posted by 76Bonneville View Post
    I've had 2 boats regelled and for the most part I'm very happy with them. The issues is gelcoat doesn't flex, so if it's a little thick it will crack. Much harder to control the second time around.
    It would be nice to know the history of this hallett, for some reason I'm led to believe that at some point the deck was re gelled...that causing the checking..but.. it's also my opinion that the checking goes all the way into the fiberglass.. I used to own a body shop, when I would come across this on corvette's they would have to be stripped down to the glass, I would then feather fill the car, block the shit out of it and then prep for paint...most people would just leave it as is ...but that's not me..the checking will eat at me ...maybe sell it as is and move on..it's a nice nice boat other wise...but would never go to the next level...Name:  DSC03880.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  181.9 KB

Just curious, did you buy from a private party or off a small used car lot?
    That boat has been on CL multiples times over the last few years.

Just curious, did you buy from a private party or off a small used car lot?
    That boat has been on CL multiples times over the last few years.
    private party...

so, I have owned upwards of 20 halletts..jets to 270's... of the 20 ... everyone of them had gel issues...cracking, yellowing, fading, checking, bad repairs that the OG owners swore that they came from hallett that way... I have 3 in my stable right now... all 3 have issues....am I just too picky,... or just that lucky???

and the color combos are horrible.... but then, I'm more suttle. gray and red, gray and blue, gray and yellow, gray and orange...I've even own'd all white...

Quote Originally Posted by 2FORCEFULL View Post
    It would be nice to know the history of this hallett, for some reason I'm led to believe that at some point the deck was re gelled...that causing the checking..but.. it's also my opinion that the checking goes all the way into the fiberglass.. I used to own a body shop, when I would come across this on corvette's they would have to be stripped down to the glass, I would then feather fill the car, block the shit out of it and then prep for paint...most people would just leave it as is ...but that's not me..the checking will eat at me ...maybe sell it as is and move on..it's a nice nice boat other wise...but would never go to the next level...Name:  DSC03880.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  181.9 KB
    And there is your answer

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Yeeeeep, ^^^^ what I know about GEL would half fill a thimble... As I understand, the GEL is just colored poly resin which by itself isn't the toughest stuff in the world, especially if the film is thick... AND it's not really good when it comes to UV rays/sun...

On most all of the boat floors/flow coat/wood decks/paint, a high performance automotive clear urethane is the first pick for UV/color holdout...
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams