Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hallett gel coat???

whats the deal? did hallett have the worst gel coat ever?? or am I just lucky to get all the bad ones...every one I get has problems... my newest to me, the deck is all checked... the boat has less than 300 hrs and was garage kept...most all the others I've had all had yellowed stains on the white parts...one 210 I got had popping little blisters all on the botton... I was told it was caused by boating at lake arrow head...??? wtf....I wonder what the fix will be for the vector I have....wonder how far you would have to strip the gel to get all the checking out...so it won't come back...that and how would you do it to not make it all wavy ... I'm super stoked to find the vector...but bummed with the gel...that was a big reason for selling the 270...it needed all new gel coat...and to do it right.. you would need to completely strip the boat to bare hull and go to work...I would guess the ticket on a job like that would be quite spendy, and when done the boat would not be worth any more

well, here's what I think...gel coat is a mechanical bond....that means that every time you spray it , it a new layer ... so , if the first layer, the layer that was sprayed in the mold. followed by the layers of glass, was sprayer in the window of time that is allow.... it becomes one..if not sprayed in time.... it becomes multiple layers.... right.... kinda like auto paint...with the exception of lacquer... which is a chemical bond... with lacquer, all the layers become one, that why lacquer will check because it's sprayer too thick, or not the right mixture of solvents...when lacquer checks , you have to strip it to bare metal and start over...

that's what I think is going on with this hallett...the checking is all the way down into the fiber glass...I'm not so sure it can be fixed proper as to where it won't come right back.... sure would like some input here from those in the know of a repair like this..I bought this boat sight unseen ,probley paid too much, but a guy could just leave it...but between the 3 of us 2ff's... two don't like it and wanna fix it , while one says... it's ok...the area is almost all white...but... that might be a tough match, hallett white tends to yellow and gray....so matching it would be tough.. as to not be able to tell it was fixed... the only way to fix gel coat proper is to panel spray, which means you have to spray to an edge to burry the gel...blending is a Band-Aid...and will sooner or later come back to haunt you..like the last hallett I had... the whole boat needed new gel coat... there was blending every where... and the gel was fanned out so thin that it died from the sun..maybe I'll put up some pics of the damage if there is any interest here.... my only hope is that the deck had been re sprayed some time in it's life.... that would be a mechanical bond and you would be able to sand out the checks...if not... they are all the way into the fiber glass... wish GELcoater from the other board would post over here as he is steeped in knowledge of the gel coat process..
    Last edited by 2FORCEFULL; 11-30-2017 at 08:40 AM.

I'd give Billy B a call. If anyone knows, he knows.

Quote Originally Posted by HB Vic View Post
    I'd give Billy B a call. If anyone knows, he knows.
    I think everyone tried to reply at once and it blocked this thread...surely some one here knows about gel coat repair...but thanks, I'll try to call...do you know a number?

909-982-8555

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give Kevin at KMG Boats a call. He is a master at this stuff

Why not Imron or something comparable? Gel coat is Gel coat.. Imron is harder.. I'm no expert but arent there alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by H20GZM View Post
    Why not Imron or something comparable? Gel coat is Gel coat.. Imron is harder.. I'm no expert but arent there alternatives?
    it seems to me in my dealings when you say boat, and painted... people seem to frown... which is better?..who knows...but I have owned boats that were painted...not much difference..other than an all original gel out of the mold will last longer if done right...when you paint a boat...things happen... one of which is you have a then layer over the gel..foreign products that don't mate... to paint a boat it is a mechanical bond which means you have to rely on the sand scratches to have the bond to the hull...... prone to the elements of how well it's prepped .... back in the day that was the only way to get a real custom job... now the evo painters can do some pretty amazing gel design.... I might be wrong here.. but I think cigarette boats are painted after they come out of the mold...

I've had 2 boats regelled and for the most part I'm very happy with them. The issues is gelcoat doesn't flex, so if it's a little thick it will crack. Much harder to control the second time around.
    I would consider paint the next time. Labor on gel is intense.
    Most of the East Coast boats are paint.

Quote Originally Posted by 76Bonneville View Post
    I've had 2 boats regelled and for the most part I'm very happy with them. The issues is gelcoat doesn't flex, so if it's a little thick it will crack. Much harder to control the second time around.
    I would consider paint the next time. Labor on gel is intense.
    Most of the East Coast boats are paint.
    It would be nice to know the history of this hallett, for some reason I'm led to believe that at some point the deck was re gelled...that causing the checking..but.. it's also my opinion that the checking goes all the way into the fiberglass.. I used to own a body shop, when I would come across this on corvette's they would have to be stripped down to the glass, I would then feather fill the car, block the shit out of it and then prep for paint...most people would just leave it as is ...but that's not me..the checking will eat at me ...maybe sell it as is and move on..it's a nice nice boat other wise...but would never go to the next level...Name:  DSC03880.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  181.9 KB