anyone have a ford 460 for sale??

after Christmas we are gonna either start on the rebuild of our motor... or just purchase a complete used one. any one have a complete? or am i better off rebuilding mine? i am leaning towards just buying a used one! but i dont wanna buy a p.o.s

It gonna be ready for summer?

Better off freshening up the one you have that way you know what you have, buy one and who knows what you'll end up with unless you know the history of it.. JMWO....

my brother is rebuilding one right now at his shop, along with like 5 other motors, Global West Marine. if the block, heads and crank are all good rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by GoFastRacer View Post
    Better off freshening up the one you have that way you know what you have, buy one and who knows what you'll end up with unless you know the history of it.. JMWO....
    Very good point here, I would stay away from a used one unless you know its coming from a reputable source or has a warranty of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Bottom View Post
    after Christmas we are gonna either start on the rebuild of our motor... or just purchase a complete used one. any one have a complete? or am i better off rebuilding mine? i am leaning towards just buying a used one! but i dont wanna buy a p.o.s
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFastRacer View Post
    Art's got some good advice here, I have a story about a friend who bought a boat without consulting me. He is a young guy, first boat,, ended up with a 17' Tahiti with a 455 Olds. I groaned as soon as he told me, since another friend of mine had done the same thing some 30 years ago, not checking with me even though he was aware of how involved I was with boats and engines. Both ended up with boats with tired, worn out engines. The recent one was so bad he didn't even make it to the water one time before he had to pull the heads off the engine, with his dad helping him. They spent about $600 getting the heads done, including a gasket set, only to find out that when they were cleaning the deck surface to mount the fresh heads, the block was cracked (from the same heat that caused the head gasket problem)

Ok,, long introduction to the similarity, but then he found a complete used engine, all the way at the far side of Lake Mead, drove up and bought it,, got it home, put it in the boat and I went to the water and helped him test it prior to his first trip to the river. It ran fine at Puddingstone, but on his trip he got about 10 minutes out of it before it blew up.

Moral of the story was that had he built a fresh shortblock, either with his dad or me helping, combined with the heads that he had already dumped the money into, he would have probably had a good running engine. As it was, he got discouraged and sold everything.

hopefully bud! gotta dump the money into it then should be good hah

Quote Originally Posted by Gothalos View Post
    It gonna be ready for summer?

Wendi

anyone have a ford 460 for sale??

Rock bottom obnoxious001 is a great guy I'm sure he could give you some great advice if you have questions.