Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sold my Hallett...

Kind of a sad happy day...but first...I wanna clean the air.... I knew who was getting the boat...and I have no problem with the deal at all...
    next.... there was nothing wrong with the boat, that was not the reason for the sale..I just want a 210/ or a 21 schiada...or some thing close...here's what happens... the hallett cruises at 60... half throttle...my son has to run on pin on his hallett...
    lake mead gets rough... and the 270 loves it...when we go out, my son has to run the fuc out of his boat to keep up....and , as nice as the 210 runs....it's no match for the 270...so the thought is , before my son goes crazy on his 210 to out run DAD...I just wanna down size so that we run the same.....

when I got the 270, and after some seat time,there was a lot going on...the boat would do some weird shit out of no where...the x was way too high for a pleasure boat...and would get violent past mid range.... the boat had a dangerious prop walk and would get out of hand at full throttle..although I didn't buy the boat to go fast... and it had a nice cruise speed... you really had to drive the boat....the boat did fine unless there was water change.. the rocking would start.... what I figured was going on was one prop would try to come out of the water...surface... while the other would get buried...and that force would cause the buried prop to get more bite... and cause it to try to surface...when that started happening it would start to bow stear...

So.... here's what I did to the boat, when I first got the boat... I put a straight edge on the bottom to see where neutral was...with both drives at neutral... one gauge read 1.0 and the other read 2.5, so I adjusted the gauges to read 2.0 on both sides....with the drives tucked, one side read 1.5 and the other went to 0. so now a new problem.... one drive went lower than the other... with a lot of head scratchin... and looking at the situation....I finally found the problem...some one... not to mention names... put blocks on the drives that go to bravo 3's... and on one side they turned the blocks to where the drive wouldn't go all the way down as far as the other.... the idea behind the blocks id because of the transom lift on the bravo 3, and it will cause bow steer...so took the blocks out..now the boat gets on plane effortless... and it cruises nice...but ... top end it still was a hand full...

I'm not sure why, but for some reason I actually thought you were going hang on to that one for awhile.

Well, you know the old saying....better to get rid of it before it gets rid of you. Or something like that lol

Congrats I think lol

Quote Originally Posted by HB Vic View Post
    I'm not sure why, but for some reason I actually thought you were going hang on to that one for awhile.

Well, you know the old saying....better to get rid of it before it gets rid of you. Or something like that lol

Congrats I think lol
    the boat was really too big for a second boat...that and its a 100 mile trip to mead and back from my house..that boat with twins is a heavy mo-fo

so now, the next problem..... the X was way too high, and it just didn't handle like a pleasure boat with twins..you really had to drive the boat and the trim and tabs where real sensitive...with the drive that high, any amount of trim to get the bow up would cause it to hop like peter cotton tail....and once it started hopping... you pretty much had to shut it down..so I added 1.5 drive spacers...

Time for another toy. Dune season anyway!

Now no excuse to get the garages cleaned out.

so now,, here's where I was at...rocket out of the hole...great mid range...but something was still going on at faster speed..it only like to bust through rollers straight on..if not, it would pitch side to side and start to bow steer..so back to the straight edge and the looking process ....what I found was the outer edge of the lower cav plates where below the water line, and as soon a s you tried to trim up..they would grab water... as long and they were in smooth water...they did nothing but cause drag.... but in rollers and chop... the drag would chage side to side.... and cause the boat to steer .... pretty wild ride on speed.....so.... I started looking at different lowers...what I noticed, any of the performace lowers didn't have the big wrap around cav plates... and all of the out board lowers that had jack plate type set ups didn't have them either.... so I did a mod to the stock ones....it was gonna cost 20k for two new imco lowers... and really all I was gonna gain was lowers that didn't have the cav plates..and what were the lowers worth..1000 buck each???? and if the idea didn't work....I still had to buy new lowers....so I got lucky...and it worked...

Quote Originally Posted by tchb View Post
    Time for another toy. Dune season anyway!

Now no excuse to get the garages cleaned out.
    garages are cleaned out and RZR's are ready to go...

so now, on the quest to be the baddest mo fo...every time I did something so far was positive...and the boat just got better and better in the handling dept.

but... still more to go...so i'm out in the wind and big ass mead waves...the boat seemed to be like a stable house and would try to turn back to the dock on it's own....and after talking to guru after guru... they all seemed to say the same thing.... the props are spinning the wrong direction ...and it's a easy trial and error...swap the props around,, and see what happens....WOW... it worked...the boat is now amazing...runs though any thing with ease....done right????? wrong,... as with anything that you fine tune....there still more....lol

now whats happening....you still couldn't Ghost ride the boat....and it didn't track in a straight line... so back to head scratching sitting on a bucket looking at the transom.....with tape measure and straight edge in hand, I found that the drives were way toed out,... and it's said that they should toed in 1/8" or so...trial and error type deal... see what works and that where to keep it deal

like I said... it's a 100 mile trip to the lake and back..and I did the adjusting a little at a time..

Quote Originally Posted by 2FORCEFULL View Post
    lake mead gets rough... and the 270 loves it...when we go out, my son has to run the fuc out of his boat to keep up....and , as nice as the 210 runs....it's no match for the 270...so the thought is , before my son goes crazy on his 210 to out run DAD...I just wanna down size so that we run the same.....
    You could have sold his 210 and found another 270. Ever think about that? ;-)
    President and CEO of the I Hate Jordy Fan Club.