Size:  58.5 KBName:  DSC03669.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  59.0 KBName:  DSC03670.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  59.4 KB

saw this howard...Name:  DSC03667.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  48.8 KB

So, before I took the Hallett out, there was a big debate and twins, and which way the props should turn... I've always heard, (thought)...on twins... V's turn in, Cats turn out..on the hallett they were turning out, now add the 2 step bottom to the mix..when I bought the hallett, I bought it to be a nice cruising boat, I bought it as a project boat,as everyone west coast says the hallett 2 step doesn't work good... but east coast people won't buy a straight bottom boat, they all like the steps

so, my first ride in the boat was very impressive as far as performance...the fact that it got on plane easy, cruised mid range effortless, but....it was very very sensitive to trim... in fact it liked neg, trim the best..that and you had to work the sticks to not blow out the props...with out much seat time, I stayed in the couscous mode... as time went... I would take my test farther out...trim angle would get spooky....it didn't like any trim tab either....SO, most would say...leave it alone...But not me.....I always left the lake with, some thing is just not right...I know this, or think I know....lower the drives... the more the drag and loss of speed. and also higher the drives, the loss of drivability...

so my first thought was ... the drives are to high... and causing it to loose it's set on high speed runs...so I added 1.5 spacers to the drives...back out to mead...whooo hooo.. what a difference... figure 8's ,... no problem..stayed on plane at slow speed....but you had to stay neg trim or she would start dancing...the boat run very wet, and you could feel it plow water,so... it ran the best in chop

so back to WTF... some thing is just not right..while looking at the drives, I noticed the front of the cav plate were now below the bottom of the boat....not good..
    whith that set up..the drive could not trim up with out scooping water , so they had to stay neg., or netural trim//

sooo, I cut the fronts of the plates off, and went back to the lake...I should have took the boat to havasu as my house there is right by the lake....100 mile round trip in vegas.. another Whooo hooo..man this boat is just getting better and better..you could now feel the boat getting out of the water and you could trim it to the moon..where as I was stuck below 2 on the gauge..now at moderate speed you could trimi it till the props would blow out....so I there.....not....HO LEE FUC showed up on top end..so now the boat is getting out of the water, carring the bow high and dry..all is well till I hit rollers parallel ..it goes in to this side to side dance.. even after the rollers where gone...HO LEE FUC said shut her down slowly...and back on the trailer..

So now... head scratcher... My wifes, what the foc are you doing??? I was walking around the house with my arms straight out spinning my fingers in circles... then out circles and shaking my head side to side...I started looking at boats with twins transome's... some spin in , some spin out...??? and I' started asking others, some said out, some said in...and then there was the... what ever works best...

So here's what I did, swapped the props to spin in.... there it is...all the weird shit gone...and I think it was wrong from the get go..spent the day at mead trying to make it do some thing weird...not there... the morning water was glass,and flatter then Kansas ....trim was where it should be as you could trim it till it lost speed.. now the trim tabs worked...
    I cruised it up to middle point...saw Hallett21 and his fleet...that guy is in pretty good shape.. seen him ski across from the lake from the narrows almost to middle point cutting side to side...stopped and talked to him for a minute... hope they put the house boat in a nice cove....went back to sandy beach and waited for the wind....sure as expected from mead...here comes the wind..white cpas and all...now for the test.....awesome...boat was literally un effected by the water...I could now drive it in any direction... going with the waves or across them......so I'm there.....?????.... not... now I have to figure how to change the sticks... I have to drive with the sticks in reverse to go forward....

I'm sure there will come a time in the near future where I will wanna do some prop experiments...but at this time... they seem to be spot on..24p bravo 4 blades...

the boat is now very tame as compared to when I got it...easy to drive and I would feel very confident in letting sue drive it..or one of my sons..so I would say.. I my mods turned out to be successful

maybe Hallett21 will chime in as he seen it run...
    Last edited by 2FORCEFULL; 08-11-2017 at 07:35 AM.

Nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boat looked great! I want one lol

Quote Originally Posted by hallett21 View Post
    Boat looked great! I want one lol

what about take off..plane time?

Quote Originally Posted by 2FORCEFULL View Post
    what about take off..plane time?
    You could easily pull the rope out of two skiers hands if you wanted. Maybe 3 seconds to plane? Not sure how hard you were on the throttle coming out of the hole

Quote Originally Posted by hallett21 View Post
    You could easily pull the rope out of two skiers hands if you wanted. Maybe 3 seconds to plane? Not sure how hard you were on the throttle coming out of the hole

I ran it to 2000 rpm, did the turn and stuffed the sticks..then pulled back to half throttle..thatnks for chim'n in... people said it won't get on plane with the drive mods I did....

Did you say there was a 40' out there? Isn't the only 40', or one of the very few 40's, the old Terrible Herbst boat?