Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imco scx

Imco scx

Just thought I would try here to see if anyone here has installed a scx drive.I re powered my Lavey 27' Sabre last year with a 1100 Boostpower motor and went with a scx to help with breakage.With the scx lower the boat would porpoise very bad where it did not before.The handling was scary.I then went with a sc standard lower and a little better but the porpoise was still there and would just get worse when trying to drive through it.Trying all kinds of deferent props nothing would change.Next was a Teague 2" shorty.The boat seem to like it a little better but the porpoise was still there at 60 mph.Trying all kinds of props 5 blades and 4 blades the best slippage I can get is 18%.The only time the boat will not porpoise is when the water is rough (1') chop.The scx sits back 3/4" more then a bravo and is 90lbs heaver.With all the testing I have done I think my problem is in the upper.
    Anyone here had the same issue with a scx ?? Vic,I think you went through the same think after talking with Kap.
    I am ready to go see Arron at Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake,an View Post
    Just thought I would try here to see if anyone here has installed a scx drive.I re powered my Lavey 27' Sabre last year with a 1100 Boostpower motor and went with a scx to help with breakage.With the scx lower the boat would porpoise very bad where it did not before.The handling was scary.I then went with a sc standard lower and a little better but the porpoise was still there and would just get worse when trying to drive through it.Trying all kinds of deferent props nothing would change.Next was a Teague 2" shorty.The boat seem to like it a little better but the porpoise was still there at 60 mph.Trying all kinds of props 5 blades and 4 blades the best slippage I can get is 18%.The only time the boat will not porpoise is when the water is rough (1') chop.The scx sits back 3/4" more then a bravo and is 90lbs heaver.With all the testing I have done I think my problem is in the upper.
    Anyone here had the same issue with a scx ?? Vic,I think you went through the same think after talking with Kap.
    I am ready to go see Arron at Max.
    do you have a pic??? and don't they sell a plate for the drive to fix this?

I put a SCX on my F26 with Teague 825 about 4-5yrs ago. It literally made my boat undriveable. It porpoised so bad all the way up to 90 before it flattened out. It was super scary. After inspecting the drive very closely, the only real difference we saw was the cav plate. It was HUGE. The thought was to cut it down and try that. But I'm not much of an experimenter, so I declined the grinder treatment and managed to get a full refund from Imco.

I did find another guy who had his F26 with Teague 800 built with a SCX. He was having the same exact issues as me.

I went back with a built Bravo and a spare. So now I swap drives at around 20hrs and have it torn down. So far, since then, (knock on wood) zero drive failures.

Obviously my boat is a cat, so I can't speak for any other boat
    Last edited by HB Vic; 08-07-2017 at 09:02 AM.

As far as the Maxx boys, they've been fantastic. Several years ago I found a Maxx billet upper on OSO in Florida for smokin cheap. Had it shipped direct to them, they checked it out and it was pristine. So I bought another Imco lower and made that my spare drive. Some day, when I can get both drives in to them we're gonna swap lowers and I'll have a solid main drive with a very good spare.

Quote Originally Posted by HB Vic View Post
    I put a SCX on my F26 with Teague 825 about 4-5yrs ago. It literally made my boat undriveable. It porpoised so bad all the way up to 90 before it flattened out. It was super scary. After inspecting the drive very closely, the only real difference we saw was the cav plate. It was HUGE. The thought was to cut it down and try that. But I'm not much of an experimenter, so I declined the grinder treatment and managed to get a full refund from Imco.

I did find another guy who had his F26 with Teague 800 built with a SCX. He was having the same exact issues as me.

I went back with a built Bravo and a spare. So now I swap drives at around 20hrs and have it torn down. So far, since then, (knock on wood) zero drive failures.

Obviously my boat is a cat, so I can't speak for any other boat
    I put a GoPro on the back and at 70mph you can see the cav plate is hitting the water making a small sideways roost..Kap had cut one down when he was testing with IMCO.I have talked with him and he said not to cut it because the boat was a bitch to plane.I think it is the cav plate also.Do I cut it and trash a 16k drive or just sell it and go Max ?? The boat is a 27' cat...

Vic,What did Fred tell you when you were having problems ? I think they are aware of the issue but it only happens on some cats.Jr. Did exchange the scx lower for a sc so I guess I am lucky.If you weren't Hot Boat you would of never received a refund.When you walk out the door at IMCO that is your warranty... I am glad it worked out for you.

Vic,What did Fred tell you when you were having problems ? I think they are aware of the issue but it only happens on some cats.Jr. Did exchange the scx lower for a sc so I guess I am lucky.If you weren't Hot Boat you would of never received a refund.When you walk out the door at IMCO that is your warranty... I am glad it worked out for you.
    He suggested trimming the cav plate. And yes, I was very fortunate and Fred treated me very well. My boat just did not like that drive.

Quote Originally Posted by HB Vic View Post
    He suggested trimming the cav plate. And yes, I was very fortunate and Fred treated me very well. My boat just did not like that drive.
    Thanks for the info.I am at wits end..I would like to use the scx if I can get it right.Cut the cav on a 16k drive or have two drives 19k and change them every 20hours.I think I am ready for a twin 400 pontoon or a triple center console..
    Come on Lotto !!!!!!

Imco scx

Thanks for the info.I am at wits end..I would like to use the scx if I can get it right.Cut the cav on a 16k drive or have two drives 19k and change them every 20hours.I think I am ready for a twin 400 pontoon or a triple center console..
    Come on Lotto !!!!!!
    Totally hear you. I really wanted the SCX to work, and maybe it would have if I cut it down. But maybe not? Then I'd be stuck.

Got some advice from Mr. H during this fiasco. "Stick with what works". He was 100% right. And to go a step further, the stock Merc drive is a little faster than the Maxx billet upper. Why? No idea. But it is without a doubt.

PM me and I'll tell you what I spend a season or so on maintenance. It really isn't that bad considering I get fresh oil every tear down
    Last edited by HB Vic; 08-08-2017 at 05:39 AM.

Hey how do you guys feel about an IMCO upper SC compared to the Max Billet upper. The Max Billet upper housing looks stronger.