Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

IF you could....?

If you could do it all over again, would you build from scratch or buy a finished boat?

Trying to weigh the pros and cons of each.

We can all do it over and over again and again if we choose. I currently have a Schiada 21' River Cruiser that we were pleased to purchase because this hull isn't something many replicate in their garages. We have upgraded things a bit but were generally pleased to just purchase it. Now, we also have a Hallett flat (we've had for multiple decades) that now needs new floor, glass tanks cut out, new stringers and everything else so it will be a fun project for the boys and I. We also have two Biesemeyer flats to build and we see it as a grand opportunity where the possibilities are nearly endless.
    The best things in life aren't things!

WMC

Re: IF you could....?

I'll let you know after I finish the Campbell.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

From scratch ......

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    From scratch ......
    Yeah, but you can't buy something and just leave it alone!

Thats no fun !!!!! Agt001

Unless the price is "right" I'd start from scratch, because whatever you buy there's always something you won't like about it and next thing you know you start over anyhow,LOL..

IF you could....?

I get this a lot. I always tell people if you can truly afford it brand new is great but for most of us it's not the best option. I always try to find boats with the right parts. Gel or paint is expensive to change so try to find something you like. Big motors are the easy part. Hydraulic steering and hp gimbals and big drives add up fast. Find something with enough good parts to justify spending the money to make it great.

IF you could....?

And above all else. Make sure whatever you do you do it right. It will cost more money in the end to do it twice.

I am starting one this week. Gonna take the skill saw to the hull and get to work on new stringers, floor, deck, and full rigging. Home built trailer, engine, paint, etc. REally the only way I can afford to have a boat like I want.