Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by K-034 View Post
    I would buy one together and redo it. You can still change things the way you want them and you have parts that you can reuse and don't have to buy , like V-drive, plate harware, steering pullies, or whatever is still good. Alot of parts just need to be sent to a polisher or powdercoater and they look new again. Gives you a better base to start with and possibly on the water a little cheaper and faster, in my opion
    RIP to my friend Greg "FULL THROTTLE" Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by 74 Howard 21rc View Post
    This is what I'm leaning toward. Hopefully going to see a boat later in the week.

Quote Originally Posted by K-034 View Post
    I would buy one together and redo it. You can still change things the way you want them and you have parts that you can reuse and don't have to buy , like V-drive, plate hardware, steering pullies, or whatever is still good. Alot of parts just need to be sent to a polisher or powdercoater and they look new again. Gives you a better base to start with and possibly on the water a little cheaper and faster, in my opinion
    This is a very good perspective on putting "a boat" together. Just like finding and old car project, if the car has all the parts its alot easier to deal with than buying a frame and a body and piecing it all together. In the long run it will save you quite a bit of cash. Any boat you buy out there is gonna have some "project" part of it. I dont care how much the owner says its "turn-key" there will always be something you will want to change.... its just in a mans DNA!!!!

So you just gotta choose how much "turn-key" you want to find completed and then finish the rest to your own taste. Just make sure that the "turn-key" portion really is COMPLETE as stated.... thats the real trick to find.

Unless you got deep pockets, "Scratch-Built Boating" is not a reality, and certainly not for profit!!!!
    1975 Sanger True Flat 496BBC
    http://v-drivecalifornia.blogspot.com/

IF you could....?

I get this a lot. I always tell people if you can truly afford it brand new is great but for most of us it's not the best option. I always try to find boats with the right parts. Gel or paint is expensive to change so try to find something you like. Big motors are the easy part. Hydraulic steering and hp gimbals and big drives add up fast. Find something with enough good parts to justify spending the money to make it great.

IF you could....?

And above all else. Make sure whatever you do you do it right. It will cost more money in the end to do it twice.

I am starting one this week. Gonna take the skill saw to the hull and get to work on new stringers, floor, deck, and full rigging. Home built trailer, engine, paint, etc. REally the only way I can afford to have a boat like I want.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    I am starting one this week. Gonna take the skill saw to the hull and get to work on new stringers, floor, deck, and full rigging. Home built trailer, engine, paint, etc. REally the only way I can afford to have a boat like I want.
    You guys just barely finished re-doing your mother's Schiada. Don't you ever just sit and watch TV?
    The best things in life aren't things!

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the build!

from scratch

Thank you for all of the replies guys, they have all helped tremendously. I'm still looking for the "right" boat hoping there will one of those "love at first sight" moments.