Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: towing woe's

Quote Originally Posted by CarolynandBob View Post
    Then I would not tow it with anything less than a F250. Remember it isn't about pulling as much as it is about stopping.
    All things stop, eventually LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    wow.... you DO have the toys sir!!!

The 5.4 is a cool engine but still only like 330 cubic inches. The 6.0 is a killer engine for its size/displacement, as we know the LS engine is a stout piece and worthy of much respect... My big concern would be transmission and the gear ratio in your DIFFs...

The history of the lock up converter / propensity for failure are big factors in my book, maybe more than either the 5.4 or 6.0 ford versus chebby...

We need AHOLE HICK to chime in here and give his thoughts on the FAT block chevy suburban he purchased that can tow your Hallett with ease...

Having diesel power is cool but brings a whole new set of items/costs into the equation...

CarolnANDBob makes a great point about stopping power/safety...

P.S. I really like your V10 tow toy!!! I feel that the ford V10s are under estimated/overlooked... NOT perfect but well deserving of respect...

As you and everyone here knows by now, buying used isn't always fun/great BUT with a thorough background check and THOROUGH inspection eliminates a lot of headache...
    if I ever decided to tow with the suburban I would do a gear change..

thanks for posting

my plan the other day was to sell the suburban and get a 3500 express passenger van...I found the short base one with the 6.0....put its in texas and they kept messing up the paper work...with the van I can do way more than a suburban

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HB Vic View Post
    truER words were never spoken...
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FORCEFULL View Post
    if I ever decided to tow with the suburban I would do a gear change..

Brother Eason - AHOLE HICK searched out a Suburban that has the factory installed 8.1 liter/492 ci and I think its 4x4... No towing issues with that rig for certain...

Maybe Chevy made a utility van 4x4 (similar to your v10 Ford) with the 492/8.1 if you are partial to those conversions... I imagine that having 4x4 is handy out yonder on the boat ramps/lakes/desert/camping...???

From WIKI

Generation VII[edit]
    L18[edit]
    The Vortec 8100 L18 was a V8 truck engine. It was a redesigned Chevrolet Big-Block engine and was introduced with the 2001 full-size pickup trucks. It is an all-iron engine (block and heads) with two valves per cylinder. It retained the same bore diameter as the old 7.4 L Big-Blocks, but the stroke was upped by 9.4 mm (0.37 in) to reach 8.1L (496cuin), for a total of 107.95 mm (4.25 in) bore and 111 mm (4.37 in) stroke. Power output ranged from 340 hp (254 kW) to 550 hp (410 kW),[citation needed] and torque from 455 lb·ft (617 N·m) to 690 lb·ft (936 N·m).

Other important differences between the Vortec 8100 and older Big Blocks include a changed firing order (1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3), a new 18-bolt head bolt pattern, longer connecting rods, different symmetrical intake ports, different oil pan rails and the use of metric threads throughout the engine. The fuel-injection system for the Vortec 8100 is nearly identical to that used on Gen III engines, right down to the fuel and spark tables in the ECU.[22]

Vortec 8100s were built at GM's Tonawanda Engine plant. The last L18 was manufactured in December 2009.

L18 Applications:

GM sold the Vortec 8100 to Workhorse (now a division of Navistar), making it one of the most popular engine choices in gas powered Class A motorhomes during the first decade of this century. GM stopped installing Big Block V8s in the Silverado HD trucks when the GMT-800 series was discontinued in 2007.

Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra 2500HD & 3500HD (option)
    Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Yukon XL 2500 (option)
    Chevrolet Express 3/4 or 1 ton
    Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 (std on GMT800 2500)
    Chevrolet Kodiak
    Workhorse Class A motorhomes.
    T-98 Kombat armored vehicles.
    U-Haul's 26-foot (7.9 m) truck.
    Malibu Boats, e.g. Wakesetter.[23]
    MasterCraft Boats
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 07-12-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by HB Vic View Post
    LOL Very true

If it was a 27' other than a Hallett, I'd be a little less nervous, but that's a whole lotta boat to get in and out of Mead, and I've been on all the roads around there as we did the roadwork on the road out of Henderscum 20 years ago. There isn't an easy route for that boat and a half-ton no matter how you cut it.

I'd look at a 3/4 ton anything and you'll be much happier.
    President and CEO of the I Hate Jordy Fan Club.

Depending on year of express not very high how ratings. I have 07 3500 6.0 3:73 gears rated for 7700lbs. The same as my 11 f150 5.0 3:55 gears. The later years 15? With 6 speed and more power are higher but they come with3:42 gears so still only good for up to 9600 lbs.
    my f150 towed my 255 hallett better than the old fashioned express 3500.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricks raft View Post
    Depending on year of express not very high how ratings. I have 07 3500 6.0 3:73 gears rated for 7700lbs. The same as my 11 f150 5.0 3:55 gears. The later years 15? With 6 speed and more power are higher but they come with3:42 gears so still only good for up to 9600 lbs.
    my f150 towed my 255 hallett better than the old fashioned express 3500.
    I need to run the hallett across the scales,..towed it back and forth to mead with the v-10 rv..the v-10 did fine took off well , and stopped fine..I built up the suburban as a leave at havasu to haul people around, and if I needed to tow the boat down to the lake...only 2 mile from my house to Windsor ramp...I also have a 2002 short bed I fixed up to haul stuff to the dump..and make runs to home depot...

Name:  DSC03621.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  50.2 KBName:  DSC03622.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  62.3 KB