Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: towing woe's

Quote Originally Posted by Ricks raft View Post
    Depending on year of express not very high how ratings. I have 07 3500 6.0 3:73 gears rated for 7700lbs. The same as my 11 f150 5.0 3:55 gears. The later years 15? With 6 speed and more power are higher but they come with3:42 gears so still only good for up to 9600 lbs.
    my f150 towed my 255 hallett better than the old fashioned express 3500.
    does your 07 have the 6.0 motor?

Quote Originally Posted by 2FORCEFULL View Post
    does your 07 have the 6.0 motor?
    Yes 6.0 3:73 gears.
    As a side note. I don't know on the latest years but my 07 is a 3500 passenger that I use for my Business(wanted the insulation, headliner, dual ac. then pulled out last two rows of seats and installed racks and such for service. I can still put in the second row and carry 5) it only has a semi floating rear end and I've been through 2 of them in 177k miles. The cargo versions like my 98 have full floaters I put 220k with no failure.
    When I said my f150 tows better, The express' older chassis design seems to wonder more needing constant corrections when towing, even with the stock sway bars and 10 ply tires. Doesn't bother me much as I've driven service vans for over a million miles.

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    As a side note. I don't know on the latest years but my 07 is a 3500 passenger that I use for my Business(wanted the insulation, headliner, dual ac. then pulled out last two rows of seats and installed racks and such for service. I can still put in the second row and carry 5) it only has a semi floating rear end and I've been through 2 of them in 177k miles. The cargo versions like my 98 have full floaters I put 220k with no failure.
    When I said my f150 tows better, The express' older chassis design seems to wonder more needing constant corrections when towing, even with the stock sway bars and 10 ply tires. Doesn't bother me much as I've driven service vans for over a million miles.
    ^^^^^

My buddy and I were having the exact discussion about his OLD one ton dodge dually diesel versus his brand new one ton dodge dually diesel... Seems that the factory suspension geometry and design has altered the way the new one tows as compared to the old dodge... Always some hidden things that will bite ya, things you can't know until you start driving/towing....

**** EDIT

His assumption/my assumption was that the new truck would tow at least very similar to the old truck but it doesn't, and when he tows heavy loads (5th wheel loaded with structural steel) the new truck eats front tires like we eat fish tacos...
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 07-15-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

I had a 2016 extended, and one with the 135 wb...both I just left the one bench seat in and added a bed to the back....I also had the ford with the 5.4 motor...the ford with the twin I beam seemed to wonder... but the chevys tracked pretty good.. that and the chevys have more passenger leg room