Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by topolino2 View Post
    Thanks, I will get some photos out of the drive. The previous owner is sending me all his documentation. He ordered the boat and was the only owner. He stated that he did not want any unnecessary hardware and that included the Howard script. He would never let anyone on the deck and did all the fittings himself. The workmanship in the installation is top shelf but weathered. It came from middle California and never saw salt. Seats are good patterns at best and the ply appears to be usable. Howard trailer is rust free but the 6 lug wheels have to go.
    Don't want to rush it and need to know about things like sealing the prop shaft and rudder. Don't want my first voyage to be Titanic.
    Hey, check this thread http://www.hotboat.com/frm/showthread.php?t=7381 you can find a contact and info about shaft seal in that thread
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Name:  350 chevy engine.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  102.2 KB
    Thought I would let you know the current status of the 1966 Howard.
    Pulled the 327 and purchased a built 350. Comp cams provided the marine cam and associated hardware. Various bits from local and Ebay sources. Painted Torch red. The engine has Dart Iron eagle heads
    and was a fresh rebuild but the last owner either had too large a carburetor or wrong cam as it would not idle. Pulled it and went big block so it ended up in my hands. I pulled it down to the short block and saw nothing that would
    give me concern.
    The boat is coming along well. I routed out the cracks and have used 2.5 oz. fiberglass in the layups. I like the thin glass as I can put several layers up and still be under the thickness of a single layer of 6oz.
    Now going through sanding and getting ready to finish the wood deck.
    I did remove the single coat of fiberglass cloth from the deck as there were areas of delamination of the veneer that had to be addressed. If you have never done this, I would encourage you do whatever to avoid this step. I used heat guns, lifting scrapers and surgical knives to get it off. A job I am glad to say is off my bucket list. Got it done but wonder if it was worth the trouble to avoid seeing unsaturated glass cloth from 50 years ago. After all, was that not original?
    Will be posting photos of the boat shortly.

Here are a couple of shots of the Howard getting the deck sprayed in Orange. Thought that the Orange with the dark Walnut would be a nice combination. Besides, having an Orange boat in Tennessee is not a bad idea.
    The deck cracks were a real pain to get right and it has taken more hours than I care to think about. I would, however, if I ever take on a similar project would use Polyester for this edge repair over Epoxy. The Epoxy will be fine to
    do the wood deck but it does not like sanding like polyester.
    This photos are of the first pass in base coat. Once down, I wet sanded it in 220 grit to make sure everything is flat and ready for clear. Tomorrow we go back to a couple more coats of Orange then three coats of clear.
    With that complete, we then go onto the wood deck for staining and epoxy and varnish. So far, it's going well but probably won't see water till next year.Name:  howard in orange #1.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  324.7 KBName:  howard in orange #2.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  257.3 KBName:  Howard in orange #3.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  306.6 KB

I love that Orange! will look great with the wood deck.

Very nice. Going to be beautiful when it’s finished

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!!

Name:  Howard dark walnut high shot.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  391.5 KB Got the deck repaired and a coat of dark walnut stain. Will need to let it sit for a week or two to allow the oil to evaporate then its onto epoxy and varnish.

Name:  Howard dark walnut high shot.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  391.5 KB Got the deck repaired and a coat of dark walnut stain. Will need to let it sit for a week or two to allow the oil to evaporate then its onto epoxy and varnish.
    Any updates on this?

A little learning curve when it come to epoxy resin. Attempted to coat the rear section of the Howard and the resin wanted to pool and gather rather than stay a uniform coat. Sanded it back to a uniform film and by the way, Epoxy does not like sanding like Polyester. Contacted total boat to find a solution and they recommended their Totalboat penetrating epoxy. This is a very thin resin that is designed to soak into the wood and fortify the wood fibers. Since we are in the midst of the weather changing, I purchased the cold weather formula and as luck would have it, Tennessee has been quite warm right up till now so I have had to wait for cooler temperatures.
    Once I get the epoxy down, the next coats (4-5) will be two component clear varnish.
    The Upholstery is complete and ready to go and the engine is ready. I purchased a Quick Fuel 650 CFM marine carburetor and had to jetted and flow tested based on the cam, heads and bore so it should be close right out of the box.
    Promise to keep you up to date as progress is made.

A little learning curve when it come to epoxy resin. Attempted to coat the rear section of the Howard and the resin wanted to pool and gather rather than stay a uniform coat. Sanded it back to a uniform film and by the way, Epoxy does not like sanding like Polyester. Contacted total boat to find a solution and they recommended their Totalboat penetrating epoxy. This is a very thin resin that is designed to soak into the wood and fortify the wood fibers. Since we are in the midst of the weather changing, I purchased the cold weather formula and as luck would have it, Tennessee has been quite warm right up till now so I have had to wait for cooler temperatures.
    Once I get the epoxy down, the next coats (4-5) will be two component clear varnish.
    The Upholstery is complete and ready to go and the engine is ready. I purchased a Quick Fuel 650 CFM marine carburetor and had to jetted and flow tested based on the cam, heads and bore so it should be close right out of the box.
    Promise to keep you up to date as progress is made.

Hey, thank you for the update!! Learning what works is part of the fun, right? It’s all that messed up hard work that you had to do three times before it’s right that makes it all worth even more when it’s done, right?! I can’t wait for more on this! Going to be one of my faves when it’s done.