Thread: Menace Marine

Menace Marine

Menace Marine, a year in business and only getting stronger.
    By Hotboat.com

It has been a great year for Menace Marine. Located in the same building as Howard Boats allows MM to offer not only service and repair, but also first class get coat and fiberglass work. MM is also a partner with Rootz EFI and Rob Mckeehan Racing Engines which gives their customers engine packages at unbeatable prices,

Before opening the shop Dustin worked for Gary Teague at GT Performance for five years, as well as spending two years at a local boat shop specializing in ski boats and small runabouts. He learned a lot working for these two companies, both in terms of boat service and repair, as well as day to day operations in the marine industry. Dustin is a certified Mercruiser technician and an avid boater who has been boating for over 20 years. It is a true passion of his. As he put it, “Not many people get to be paid to work on boats and go to the lake”.

Dustin has reason to shine right now. He recently did a complete re-rig to his 25’ Eliminator Daytona. And we were able to get many of the details so we could share with you his great success. In Dustin’s own words here is a recap of the project from start to finish.

I ran it once just for fun and to get a baseline speed number 55 mph, not very fun in a twenty five foot cat.

The trailer was completely redone with new wheels and tires, LED lights and new wiring, new bunks and carpet, and powder coated tool boxes were installed on the tongue.

Next all the old holes in the transom and bilge were filled, and re-gelled. The bilge was sanded smooth and painted white and red to match the exterior of the boat.

I went a little wild making billet parts for the boat. Everything from motor mounts to sea strainer mounts that double as backing plates for the swim steps were made in house and then clear anodized. I even made a billet bilge pump mount. I wanted a clean sanitary look so everything is made strong but minimalistic. I don't like big bulky parts with logos everywhere and everything in your face. I want people to look in the boat and say where is this? Where did you mount that? The batteries are hidden from view in custom boxes inside the sponsons under the back seat. The trim pump and fuel valve are behind bulkheads in the rear corners of the boat. When you open the hatch all you see is a big motor and two sea strainers on the transom.

The first time I completed the boat it had a 950 hp whipple motor in it with an IMCO SC drive. It ran really well and was a blast to drive. I only had it out once or twice before the opportunity came up to sell the motor and build something bigger.

Rob Mckeehan of RMRE builds all of our engines and this boat was no different. He built me a 598 BBC with a 14-71 billet blower shop blower. It is topped off with a fuel injection kit from Rootz EFI. The motor made 1228 hp on 91 octane pump gas. But the most impressive thing is its dock manners. No blower surge. It doesn't stall going in and out of gear or load up in the no wake zone. It idles just like it should.

Obviously the IMCO SC will have to be replaced and plans are in the works for either a full SCX with the lower being blueprinted at Wilson Custom Marine or an SCX-4. With the SC drive and the new motor the boat has seen speeds in the 130 range on Gps. Hopefully it will run about 135-140 with the new drive when I can really get after it.

During the re rig the boat also received all new Livorski platinum face gauges and controls as well as an LED trim indicator.

The last piece to the puzzle was the custom interior. The recessed cup holder compartments as well as the fiberglass seat backs received a brilliant red gel coat fade to match the bilge and exterior of the boat. The interior is all new from the carpet to the wood in the seats and hatch. I love the newer style front buckets because they put you in a much more comfortable driving position for going fast. You sit lower in the boat and are held in much tighter in the seat. I decided against the poker run style rear bench and opted for a more traditional flat seat. It is more comfortable for lounging and cruising around with friends and family in the boat and this is after all a family boat.

You can see the boat in person at his shop or boating on Lake Havasu with his family and friends.

For more information or a great shop to get work done on your boat contact Dustin Richter:
    Menace Marine
    25544 Avenue Stanford, Valencia, CA 91355
    Phone: 661-755-0620
    www.menacemarine.com
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Looks Awesome!

Nice gel work in the bilge.:biggrin-new:

santa clarita valley , newhall paint store inc
    where are pic of that bad boy vector you put the motor in

Quote Originally Posted by NewhallPaint View Post
    where are pic of that bad boy vector you put the motor in
    Are you talking about that sweet looking yellow and white one parked in front of that paint store all the time??? Are you selling paint or boats/trucks there??? LMAO!

Menace Marine

Quote Originally Posted by hbchgirl View Post
    Are you talking about that sweet looking yellow and white one parked in front of that paint store all the time??? Are you selling paint or boats/trucks there??? LMAO!
    He doesn't sell anything. He only buys stuff. If its half off he will buy it. Doesn't matter what it is or how many he has.

santa clarita valley , newhall paint store inc
    cheapo stupid buyer on duty

Quote Originally Posted by Menace Marine View Post
    He doesn't sell anything. He only buys stuff. If its half off he will buy it. Doesn't matter what it is or how many he has.
    HAHAHA DUSTIN! I think that might be true...

Quote Originally Posted by NewhallPaint View Post
    cheapo stupid buyer on duty
    LOL! Management should talk to that cheapo stupid buyer on duty!

well he says he moving to Down south to like Miss., or even Alabama. SURE with his new 1989 Dodge 4 door with a torn top flapping in the wind.