Question Help this NOOB out!

Hey all and thanks for allowing me to join. I have lusted after a jetboat since my teens and yesterday (suffering sunstroke) went out and bought one. It seems to be in fantastic shape purchased from an older collector of toys such as myself. Problem is, the fella couldn't seem to remember too much of the ins-and-outs of the machine. I kinda need ground floor help. First off, its a '73 Southwind with a Berkley pump (I think a jetovator, rather than a Place - something goes up and down!) and a 455 Olds.
    First Question: What's the basic jet advice? What's the one thing you'd say, "Marc, whatever you do, don't ever forget to..."? Keep in mind I'm a boater, so yes I know about the drain plug and boater's rules; I'm asking more jet related. Don't run it dry? Don't run too much with the trim up or down? I don't know, I'm asking!

Secondly: With running it out of water; I'm a pipefitter and the engine seems plumbed rather well. Today I added a spot to hook up a hose to run in my driveway. The fella I bought it from mentioned that getting the water pressure right was crucial, but didn't remember exactly what that meant. Here's what I have now:
    Name:  20160622_194152_edited_edited.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  104.8 KB

Third: Here's a pic of my jetovator (??) - What type is it?
    Name:  20160622_195052_edited.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  115.3 KB
    Name:  20160621_164101_edited.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  74.4 KB

Fourth: I received this with the deal as well... what is it?
    Name:  20160621_164911_edited.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  145.0 KB

That's all for now... there will be MORE!
    Thanks in advance for your help

By the way.... Here she is!
    Name:  20160621_163453_edited_edited.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  74.7 KB

Welcome to www.hotboat.com hopefully one of our jet folk steps up and helps out, if not, I'll find someone because jetboat guru I'm not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweeeet ride! i too am in the same boat...lol always dreamed and just bought one! and am a plumbing engineering designer..

lots to read here and there

can get info from Berkeley.com on the jet

i asked the same questions about out of water flushing and conclude should run a hose to inlet of pump to keep cool, i then run a tee to another hose where i have a similar hose connection into the engine cooling line from the pump. i start the water in the pump, start engine, then start engine hose feed... reverse order when shutting down. (i figure it keeps water from entering exhaust while off, i have fairly high pressure.)

im learning about the engine but got lucky with what i got. runs great!

good luck with her and keep posting...

Quote Originally Posted by pipefitter174 View Post
    Hey all and thanks for allowing me to join. I have lusted after a jetboat since my teens and yesterday (suffering sunstroke) went out and bought one. It seems to be in fantastic shape purchased from an older collector of toys such as myself. Problem is, the fella couldn't seem to remember too much of the ins-and-outs of the machine. I kinda need ground floor help. First off, its a '73 Southwind with a Berkley pump (I think a jetovator, rather than a Place - something goes up and down!) and a 455 Olds.
    First Question: What's the basic jet advice? What's the one thing you'd say, "Marc, whatever you do, don't ever forget to..."? Keep in mind I'm a boater, so yes I know about the drain plug and boater's rules; I'm asking more jet related. Don't run it dry? Don't run too much with the trim up or down? I don't know, I'm asking!

Secondly: With running it out of water; I'm a pipefitter and the engine seems plumbed rather well. Today I added a spot to hook up a hose to run in my driveway. The fella I bought it from mentioned that getting the water pressure right was crucial, but didn't remember exactly what that meant. Here's what I have now:
    Name:  20160622_194152_edited_edited.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  104.8 KB

Third: Here's a pic of my jetovator (??) - What type is it?
    Name:  20160622_195052_edited.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  115.3 KB
    Name:  20160621_164101_edited.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  74.4 KB

Fourth: I received this with the deal as well... what is it?
    Name:  20160621_164911_edited.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  145.0 KB

That's all for now... there will be MORE!
    Thanks in advance for your help

Welcome pipefitter, the diverter you have on the boat is a place diverter style, the one in the box is a stock Berkley jetovater style. Southwind is a great boat, I had one with a 460 in it an loved it. A couple of things to look out for, with the Oldsmobile try to avoid long distance full throttle passes, the 455's have oiling issues, they tend to suck the pan dry and wipe out bearings. Also make sure you have as little water if any at idle to the headers to keep the water from going into the exhaust, especially if it has a bigger cam, other then that make sure the pump is greased and check all the engine bolts and steering once a year which is normal maintenance for any boat and have fun with it, that's the great thing about jet boats is they are simple.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroHaulic View Post
    sweeeet ride! i too am in the same boat...lol always dreamed and just bought one! and am a plumbing engineering designer..

lots to read here and there

can get info from Berkeley.com on the jet

i asked the same questions about out of water flushing and conclude should run a hose to inlet of pump to keep cool, i then run a tee to another hose where i have a similar hose connection into the engine cooling line from the pump. i start the water in the pump, start engine, then start engine hose feed... reverse order when shutting down. (i figure it keeps water from entering exhaust while off, i have fairly high pressure.)

im learning about the engine but got lucky with what i got. runs great!

good luck with her and keep posting...

Great advice, that is the way I start mine on the trailer too.

I still have my 1975 19' Southwind. Now it will be my son`s and I`ll do my 3rd and final resto to it then itll be on him for life. Love the hull. Tough son of a bitch lol