Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    These states with all the "freebies" have to pay for this stuff somehow, just a small bit of wealth distribution.

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 314joey View Post
    These states with all the "freebies" have to pay for this stuff somehow, just a small bit of wealth distribution.
    Isn't it amusing to see the state of affairs in Illinois??? Amazing how EFFFFFFFFFFFFed up that blue state is...
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner1984 View Post
    wonderful smog check every 2 years costs about $50.
    If you dont pass smog, you dont get to register your vehicle.
    We too have emissions testing yearly in large counties such as Tarrant(Ft Worth), and Dallas, and all counties that touch those. I'm in one of the emissions counties and a yearly safety/emissions inspection is $39.

We pay ~$65 a year for a personal auto, doesn't matter if it's a Geo Metro, or a King Ranch F350.

Funny thing is, this past year they did away with having an actual inspection sticker on the windshield and just tied it in with your registration. You can't register without a valid inspection. This saves the state the money of the inspection stickers and booklets, but none of that cost is passed on to the taxpayers.

Still not sure why we have a safety inspection with all the crap I see on the roads daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post
    We too have emissions testing yearly in large counties such as Tarrant(Ft Worth), and Dallas, and all counties that touch those. I'm in one of the emissions counties and a yearly safety/emissions inspection is $39.

We pay ~$65 a year for a personal auto, doesn't matter if it's a Geo Metro, or a King Ranch F350.

Funny thing is, this past year they did away with having an actual inspection sticker on the windshield and just tied it in with your registration. You can't register without a valid inspection. This saves the state the money of the inspection stickers and booklets, but none of that cost is passed on to the taxpayers.

Still not sure why we have a safety inspection with all the crap I see on the roads daily.
    One of my good friends moved from Cali to TX and lives in Houston now and tells me what a huge difference it is between the 2 states.
    He is loving it and needless to say, I am a bit jealous. I need to get out of CA lol

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

So I got my registration renewal notice in the mail for my new truck and it is close to $500 for a 2008

What caught my attention is a $200 and some change weight fee.

WTF is this???? I didnt see it on my last truck. Is this normal on a 2500 4x4?
    Seems like $500 is a bit steep for a truck that cost just under $25k.
    It's considered a commercial vehicle. Your plate will only have one letter and the rest numbers. Most every pick up truck is that way.
    You can get rid of the weight fee if you have a shell on the truck by taking to DMV and having it verified. It'll get reclassified as a passenger vehicle and get normal looking car plates(1 number, 3 letters, 3 numbers). IF you remove the shell then getting caught is possible but not generally what they look for although the chp is more aware of this stuff.
    Risk-reward.
    I love my wife, my wife loves me.:encouragement:

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It's considered a commercial vehicle. Your plate will only have one letter and the rest numbers. Most every pick up truck is that way.
    You can get rid of the weight fee if you have a shell on the truck by taking to DMV and having it verified. It'll get reclassified as a passenger vehicle and get normal looking car plates(1 number, 3 letters, 3 numbers). IF you remove the shell then getting caught is possible but not generally what they look for although the chp is more aware of this stuff.
    Risk-reward.
    Now that's an idea!!!! Do you know what the penalty is for getting caught without a shell?

Is it worth risking the ticket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that's an idea!!!! Do you know what the penalty is for getting caught without a shell?

Is it worth risking the ticket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure, but I'm sure the fine would be absorbed in savings if you get a year or two into it before caught.

I've had my 2000 F350 that way since like 2003/4 or so.......I also have personalized plates so the dead give away to LEO isn't obvious.
    I love my wife, my wife loves me.:encouragement:

One of my good friends moved from Cali to TX and lives in Houston now and tells me what a huge difference it is between the 2 states.
    He is loving it and needless to say, I am a bit jealous. I need to get out of CA lol
    You couldn't pay me to live in Houston. That's the sweaty armpit of Texas. You sweat just thinking about going outside. Not to mention the traffic and the people.

I live about 15 minutes east of downtown Dallas in a large enough city that we have amenities, but not so big that it looses its quaintness. Plus in 25 min I can be in the country and do pretty much whatever I please.

If I could get Texas politics and economics in Cali I'd be there in a heart beat, the weather would be worth the move.