Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Boating Restrictions Proposed for Havasu

Boating access and use is again under attack in the Refuge area (the Topock Gorge 17.5 mile stretch of river from I-40 Bridge south to where the Lake Havasu and river converge) with new no wake restrictions proposed by U.S. Fish and Wildlife. Several articles about what is happening have appeared in local Havasu newspapers the over the past week. Restricting access and use is never a good thing for boating. If you are not aware of what is going on, please click this link for the full details. http://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Hav...2April2016.pdf

There will be public meetings about the proposed Compatibility Determination on Tuesday, May 3 at the AVI (1-3pm and again at 6-8pm). Please attend if possible. It is also important to submit your comments (deadline is May 12). Here’s the link to send your comments to Fish and Wildlife. http://www.fws.gov/nwrs/threecolumn.aspx?id=2147587810

Apathy is the most certain path to losing our boating freedom.

Sorry my mistake, I thought this was a recreational boating forum -- apparently not -- not with barely 100 views and not a single comment posted about the controversy over proposed new no wake zones in the Havasu Refuge by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. This fight isn't just about new no wake zones -- it's about a government agency not following their own rules about how the process should be handled and attempting to jam through boating restrictions without mandated notification or proper public input. If this draft CD sails through and is implemented, there's virtually nothing that stands in the way to prevent the Service from eventually turning the entire 17.5 mile Refuge main channel into a no wake zone. And what may come next? -- probably boat capacity (total number of boats allowed on the lake) and speed limits. Sorry this issue didn't strike a responsive chord with this forum crowd. Fortunately over 1,000 boaters did turn out at the public meetings in Havasu and at the Avi. At least we used the opportunity to air our views. Will it do any good? We'll have to wait and see.

So what was the results of the meetings??? Is the govmnt still going through with it???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The newly proposed restrictions for the north and south ends of the Refuge could be implemented and effective as early as Memorial Day weekend unless the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service decides it erred in invoking a categorical exemption allowing it to bypass a complete environment assessment as required by the National Environmental Protection Act. In plain English -- they simply took a giant shortcut in order to create these new no wake zones. Since the public meetings on May 2 and 3, the Service has been silent on the issue. If it remains that way, the new restrictions will be implemented at a time-table of their discretion.

Heard about that today

I signed a petition.

Good to hear this is been put away ... for now

Name:  13427896_.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  99.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by shueman View Post
    Good to hear this is been put away ... for now

Name:  13427896_.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  99.0 KB
    Hardly a victory but a temporary hold. They ignored the illegal closure they did last year and clearly stated more evaluation needed BEFORE ADDITIONAL changes are made.
    The boating community needs to stay vigilant and keep pressing back.
    I love my wife, my wife loves me.:encouragement: