Outlaw challenge 2015 crewed up

OUTLAW TEXXXAS CREWED 2015

Preface: This time we have some interesting changes for those familiar with my poker run reviews. I have always towed a boat to a poker run event. This time I was attending the Outlaw Challenge as a crew member on another persons boat.

Overview of Event:

The Texas Outlaw Challenge is located in Clear Lake Texas within the host city of Kemah, Texas. The event has many items on their schedule but the primary draw is the boating poker run and Shootout. The Shootout is where the respective boats go out and run the best speed they can in a controlled environment. Each boat is provided with a official GPS unit and the driver and throttle person go out and run the boat. The goal and hope is to achieve the highest top speed for their boat class. Boat classes are determined by hull style and power choices. The actual poker run itself is held over two days and all card stops are open throughout the day and are easy to find businesses on the water [or the first stop an enormous home with Texas sized hospitality also known as the Armstrong family home.]. The location in Kemah Texas is known for it’s boardwalk along the water which includes numerous outstanding restaurants, bars, and live entertainment. For the boater full service marine repair shops are minutes away including a super West Marine store if you should forget an item or two. For further information and schedule look at the website "www.texasoutlawchallenge.com."

Intro:

It all began at the Tickfaw 200 when things were winding down on Sunday. We were having a social hour at the marina and hosted an impromptu happy hour with our new found friends Paul and Carla Shouse from Conroe Texas. During our numerous discussions and critic of fine Southern California Tequila selections we mentioned that we would not be attending the Outlaw Challenge as it was too much for us to handle logistically [namely in terms of time]. Shortly after this topic we were asked by Paul and Carla if we would like to attend Outlaw Challenge as guests on their boat. Paul and Carla had just become the owners of a famous west coast boat “Risky Business” a forty foot Skater with supercharged big inch motors. The boat is now ported in Montgomery Texas and subsequently renamed “Texxxas Crewed II”, coincidence or irony it seemed the perfect transition for us to crew on the boat.

Once we returned to San Diego we considered the invitation heavily and discussed our commitment on the topic. Why you ask? Well we have four children and the event concluded this year on Fathers Day. Note: We spoke to quite a few regular poker run participants and they indicated they would not be attending the event because of this reason. As a courtesy we immediately telephoned Paul and Carla and informed them we had accepted their offer and would be attending Outlaw as their honored crew. We began our preparation and scrolled through the available flights with my wife Lora and found an early departure on Sunday morning allowing us to be back home with our family and kids for Fathers Day brunch. Having solved this initial problem we now had to prepare for being crew members on our friends boat.

Crew Prep:

This may seem easy for some but the pressure is on for us to be the best crew we possible can and help our hosts with pre poker run preparation. As a crew member the roles for me changed dramatically as I cannot ever recall being a guest or crew on another captains boat during an event. I quickly made a list of things to cover or discuss with our captain. A person or crew must take into account several categories at least from my perspective. I have provided a list below which is not all inclusive but some of the main ones I considered and addressed:

1. Do they have enough PFD’s?
    2. Do they fit properly and are they USCG approved?
    3. What items do I need to bring i.e...sun screen, towels, coolers, beverages etc...
    4. Is there anything they need from us to bring for the boat or otherwise?
    5. What if anything can we do to make the experience better?
    6. Cost sharing? This includes but is not limited to fuel, hotel rooms, registration fees, extra wrist bands, Note: If you invite a person to crew on your boat and have expectations of cost sharing discuss it immediately.

I telephoned Paul and asked him if he had enough PFD’s [personal flotation devices commonly known as life jackets]. It is important to note in our boat everyone wears a PFD at all times while at speed or running an event. Paul indicated that he did have several Lifeline jackets which may fit. However, I quickly informed him that Lifelines... although a superior PFD... are not United States Coast Guard [USCG] approved. Therefore he would need one USCG approved jacket for all on board. He quickly remedied this issue and provided supplemental approved jackets for the run. Helping your Captain and crew members is a duty everyone should take seriously. It is not about right or wrong but about having a safe day on the water and being in compliance with boating regulations. As performance boaters we should set the example for other boaters as we draw a lot of attention from spectators including those that might be envious or critical of our vessel choice.

Carla and I had another subsequent discussion and she informed us she had all the personal items we would need. This included soft sided coolers and plenty of towels and sun screen. I also discussed if their was anything else we could bring along with times and scheduling for the event. We agreed that everything was covered including our airline arrival times and where we would meet up.

The Outlaw Challenge is three days of boating with the primary days being Friday and Saturday. It is important to discuss scheduling and meet times for all involved and adhere to them. As nothing is worse than waiting to launch or depart while having crew members or a captain not being present or late. Our crew was well versed in meet times and everything went smoothly because we discussed times early on and agreed unanimously on those times. Communication is key this does not mean you cannot call and alter plans or make unforeseeable stops. As long as everyone knows what is going on and can plan accordingly.

On the topic of making things better overall, a crew member is not limited to just showing up. I decided unilaterally to book and pay for a slip at the Kemah Marina for the duration of the event. I know and appreciate as a boat owner and captain what a luxury it is to have the boat already in the water during an event. No need for daily launching and all you do is simply show up in the morning to depart for our day on the water. In addition, bring beverages that you prefer to drink in quantities that everyone can enjoy. This includes plenty of water and sports drinks to keep your energy levels up throughout the day.

As a crew member you should be actively involved in helping the captain in tying fenders, docking, boat handling and prep. A good poker run crew does all of the above including acting as a look out for the captain while underway or idling through channels. This is based on the presumption on the crew member has such experience. I have had people aboard our boat who did not know what a fender was nor what to do with a dock line. A seasoned boater knows the difference between a line and a rope and a fender versus buoy. If they do not...I usually attempt to provide enough information for them so they feel part of the team. Also launching the boat taking straps off loading all necessary stuff parking the truck and trailer shuttling or driving people to and from marina. The list can be endless just be active or pro-active depending on your personality type.

The issue of cost sharing is a sensitive subject that is brought up frequently by many but rarely see’s the light of day or resolution. We were flying in and had booked our own hotel room including rental car. We had offers from other hosts to stay at their homes but this was a trip with no kids so we opted for a gorgeous lake view hotel room. Thus costs as to these items were clearly upon us. I spoke with Paul are captain and host and informed him that we would pay for extra wrist bands as crew members. Paul is the president of the Conroe Texas chapter of Texas Offshore Performance Power Squadron [TOPPS] and his registration and one crew member [his wife Carla] were complimentary. This was done as a courtesy by Texas Outlaw Challenge promoters to promote participation from surrounding boating clubs. However, if it was not then prospective crew members and guests should discuss this cost item prior to arriving.

Items such as food and drinks are usually bourne by the individuals unless some alternate arrangements have been made in advance. Now fuel in my experience is paid for by the host and boat owner/captain. The rationale is if someone invites you on their boat they are going to go anyway yet they just wish or desire your company aboard as a crew member/guest. Now conversely if you request to ride on a person’s vessel than some form of [realistic payment] is in order. In our case, I offered to pay for gas as a courtesy and allow the host to decline... which Paul so graciously declined. This is not the case in many online forums. Phrases such as “my boat does not run on thanks” is common place. Hence my caveat to those unfamiliar with boating etiquette discuss it first before you accept or request to board a vessel for an event. Different boat captains have their own ideas of hospitality and this issue can be abrasive on long runs. Note: I have never requested or had someone pay for fuel in my boat as a guest. I like the offer but always politely decline.

Event:

For those interested in the Outlaw Challenge event on goings I will touch on some of the important events by day. On Friday as customary the entire poker run fleet gathers at Mr. Kenny Armstrong’s home which is the first stop on the poker run card. A little background is in order on this extraordinary stop. This home is enormous and is located in Dickinson Texas and can be found via land or water. All costs associated with food, drink and amenities are paid for by the Armstrong family as a way to give back to the performance boating community. The home has dock frontage for well over 200 plus boats and hundreds of poker run participants.

Upon arrival you quickly notice the hotel sized pool complete with swim up bar, slide and Jacuzzi bar. The bar was complimentary and open for the entire day along with some of the best food at any poker run. I will go out and say Robert from Topwater Grill lays out the finest food I have ever had at an event. As a restaurant bar owner I know what I am talking about when I make such statements. The food was incredible from grilled shrimp, fish, jumbo lump crab wraps and my favorite a Ahi tuna carving station. I challenge anyone to point to a better display of poker run food than what the Armstrong family provided on Friday. No coupons were required and everyone could eat to their hearts content.

I observed a lot of alcoholic beverages being consumed and not one fight or argument amongst hundreds of boaters. No boating incidents either as I observed many responsible captains and designated drivers. We all know that one mistake and the community will single out the performance boating crowd in order to place blame. However, no one recognizes the efforts when things go smoothly and incident free and that credit goes to the attendee’s who were all on their best behavior.

Once again, a big Texas thank you to the Armstrong family for their generosity, hospitality and contributions to the Outlaw Challenge. I think there should be a Guinness/Texas record for hosting the largest boating party in the United States.

The second day of the event was held at Harborwalk in Hitchcock Texas at Floyd’s on the Water. All the poker run participants leave Kemah boardwalk and head over to this destination via boat while others go by car. The run to Floyd’s and Galveston is were everyone can exercise their engines and run for quite some distance. The venue has two pools and a restaurant with plenty of dock space for everyone. This year the food was done buffet style for the standard poker run entry and for an additional sum you could avail your self of the VIP buffet with additional items and entree’s. I told the owner Bret Floyd his efforts were outstanding this year and his hard work was paying off. Everyone was extremely happy with the service and food. After lunch at Floyd’s everyone returns to Kemah to other card stops which are closer in proximity to the boardwalk. Followed later that evening for the card turn in and high roller hands. If you wanted to draw cards for the high roller jackpot you had to buy in on that separate pool which had a large cash prize.

On Sunday the Outlaw Challenge does a wind down pool party however this year Fathers Day was on Sunday and we could not participate. I also suspect many participants were in the same position and departed early Sunday morning to be with their families. I have attended the wind down pool party in years past and it is a relaxing way to finish up the weekend before heading home. I highly recommend it if you have the time.

Last but no least we would like to thank all the volunteers and ladies at registration who work tirelessly to make this event the best it can be. A big thank you to Paul Robinson who makes sure everyone is happy and organizes the event months in advance. Art Denick who runs the Shootout format of the Outlaw Challenge. Thank you.... if it wasn’t for you there wouldn’t be a Outlaw Shootout. The format of this years event was outstanding and the organization was smooth and easy to follow. Great job to all involved in putting on the Outlaw Challenge.

In closing I learned a lot on this trip and found that our boating friends and community as a whole really our some of the best friends we have. To pass on an event because we have already done it... is not at the core of why we do it. I learned we do this because of friendships with our performance boating friends from Louisiana, Texas, Arizona, Oklahoma, Florida and all over the country. To all of our friends who could not make it, we miss you as well and hope to see you on the water soon.

From all of us aboard “Texxxas Crewed II” be safe.

John Kap Caparell

Footnote 1: Photograph your insurance documents on your phone or keep a copy on the boat along with insurance. Marina’s will not book your slip without those documents so check in advance what is required so you have the documents you need.

Footnote 2: Thank you so much Paul and Carla Shouse for all your hospitality.

About the Author: He resides in San Diego California as a performance boater for years. He is passionate about boating and travels to many boating destinations including poker runs and Shootout’s annually. He is an independent writer and has published numerous reviews and articles. The goal for this author is to provide information to other performance boaters about specific events and areas from a participants perspective versus general commentary. Questions and comments can be directed to him at contact@dougwrightwest.com.
    Last edited by KAP; 06-25-2015 at 06:56 PM.

Here are some photos:

Name:  IMG_0175.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  38.7 KBName:  IMG_0177.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  92.8 KBName:  IMG_0185.jpg
Size:  65.8 KBName:  IMG_0190.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  62.9 KBName:  IMG_0197.jpg
Size:  40.5 KBName:  IMG_0209.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  53.9 KBName:  IMG_0213.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  65.1 KBName:  IMG_0234.jpg
Size:  74.5 KBName:  IMG_0279.jpg
Size:  35.5 KBName:  IMG_0283.jpg
Size:  92.9 KBName:  IMG_0287.jpg
Size:  94.1 KBName:  IMG_0288.jpg
Size:  84.1 KB

Additional photos:

Name:  IMG_0181.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  82.4 KBName:  IMG_0213.jpg
Size:  65.1 KBName:  IMG_0215.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  52.8 KBName:  IMG_0224.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  61.4 KBName:  IMG_0236.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  77.7 KBName:  IMG_0276.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  75.8 KBName:  IMG_0304.JPG
Size:  203.0 KBName:  IMG_0309.JPG
Views: 109
Size:  102.3 KBName:  IMG_0310.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  106.9 KBName:  IMG_0316.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  93.3 KBName:  IMG_0317.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  100.9 KBName:  IMG_0318.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  89.5 KB

Kap once again you came through with a great write up and even better photos

Question about the pfd's. I assume Lifelines or their equal are not approved, correct?

How was the weather? Looks like it may have been a little hot and humid. How did the weather affect the performance of those hot rods?

Thanks again for the write up!!

Great write up and looks like a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    Kap once again you came through with a great write up and even better photos

Question about the pfd's. I assume Lifelines or their equal are not approved, correct?

How was the weather? Looks like it may have been a little hot and humid. How did the weather affect the performance of those hot rods?

Thanks again for the write up!!
    Lifelines are a custom jacket and thus are not USCG approved. I wear a Lifeline hands down over any other PFD. In fact I feel naked without one. I also have a Jet Pilot brand USCG approved vest in boat for me as well.

Weather was awesome a lot of people were being negative because a storm went through the Kemah area but it was all good on Poker Run Day. In fact the second day was gorgeous and hot.

Well the Mystic owned by Win Farnsworth hit 201.8 so he hit is mark. The weather is not as much a factor as wind and water conditions. I know I have run enough Shootouts to know.

Great event and we had several other West Coast people at the event.

KAP

P.S. RVRKID glad you liked the write up