6.0 or 7.3 Diesel???

In the market for a new (to me) Tow Vehicle as the transmission in my truck is going out.
    Bugget $15K
    4X4 a must
    Diesel preferably but will settle for an 8.1 gas chevy....

There appears to be a lot more Fords available thank Chevys but I am indifferent either way.
    Of the Fords, there are a lot more 6.0 available than 7.3....

Im looking for the good, the bad and the ugly between the 6.0 and 7.3.

The 7.3 is a rock solid beast that will run forever. Had an excursion with 7.3 and it was a beast. Stock it wasn't that powerful, but it didn't have a problem towing what I pulled.

Pretty sure my 6.0 was a 05'. Never had one single problem with it. But my partners had them same truck and they were always in the shop. Around 75k I put a tune in it and it was evil. That truck ran like a raped ape. Finally traded it out around 2008 and got a 6.4

If you get a solid 6.0 they're amazing. Problem is I think good ones are few and far in between. I've heard 7.3's are hard to find.

My 6.4 was questionable. It had a egr clean cycle that was just embarrassing. The truck would puke white smoke for minutes at random times. If not for that it would have been a great truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to list my 2005 f350 crew cab long bed 4x4 soon. Pm me and ill get you more details and pics.
    Using Tapatalk

Fortunately there are enough of the older 6.0's out there so you might be lucky and find one that's had the bulletproof treatment already. What Vic said about the 7.3 is spot on. The 6.0's are hit and miss, where as the 7.3's are lots more hit.

Personally I'd find a Duramax with an Allison behind it and be good. No gamble there.
    President and CEO of the I Hate Jordy Fan Club.

I have a 01 with a 7.3 and have 375000 miles on it.
    Just starting to smell more like a diesel lately.
    Original tranny rebuild at 280000 miles.
    When the motor goes I'll repower it.