Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Creek

Big Creek

Been awhile since I've been up here. I think the first time I came up was 1980 something when I worked for SCE. Always loved it up here. The old guys used to call this Gods Country, and I think they were right.

I remember coming up here in July and looking up at the snow banks on the side of the road. Seems like those days are gone.

Water is almost scarce up here now. Not even the hydros can run its so low. What's scarier is the vegetation is pretty dry, and it's only May. I can't imagine what it will be like in August.

But it's still amazing up here. The color of the water is crazy blue.

I was only able to visit Big Creek #1 yesterday. There are somewhere around 8-10 power houses up here not to mention several other facilities. Back in the day we would spend two weeks here and it would take almost that long to visit them all.

Big Creek #1 also used to have a hatchery with a dedicated staff. Seems the environmental nazis but an end to that because the fish were contaminating the river with their poop. Imagine that, now the fish need a treatment plant to poop lol

When this place was alive it was like a small city. There was a waiting list to get in to a company owned and provided home. Today many, if not most of them are empty.

Strange. With all the cutbacks and layoffs and automated facilities, why are our electric rates still rising? Lol

I would still love to come up here for a solid week with a little boat, a couple fishing poles and ice chest in tow and do absolutely nothing.

It really is Gods Country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful place!
    1981 Bahner

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    Been awhile since I've been up here. I think the first time I came up was 1980 something when I worked for SCE. Always loved it up here. The old guys used to call this Gods Country, and I think they were right.

I would still love to come up here for a solid week with a little boat, a couple fishing poles and ice chest in tow and do absolutely nothing.

It really is Gods Country

Im in!!!

P.S. Just 1/4 mile from my house is BIG CREEK, one of the larger missouri river tributaries, you threw me off with the title of this thread...
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 05-13-2015 at 12:35 PM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Shaver is a great place to relax during the week, weekends can get really busy. My Grandparents have had a cabin up there for years so I have been fortunate to be able to spend lots of time all around that area boating, fishing, skiing, hunting and four wheeling. I learned to water ski on Shaver behind my Grandpas old 16' Glastron Trihull with a 70 horse Johnston.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HotWater View Post
    Shaver is a great place to relax during the week, weekends can get really busy. My Grandparents have had a cabin up there for years so I have been fortunate to be able to spend lots of time all around that area boating, fishing, skiing, hunting and four wheeling. I learned to water ski on Shaver behind my Grandpas old 16' Glastron Trihull with a 70 horse Johnston.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Really is an amazing place. Wish I had my pics of Mono, Huntington and the river. Some really cool stuff back there. I need to go back and take more pics to replace the ones that were stolen from me

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. People forget about places like that.
    “Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! ”

― Bluto' Blutarsky in "Animal House"

Such pretty pictures, never been, but looks like a nice place. Too bad the water is so low!!

Have been to Shaver 3 or 4 times and stayed at Camp Edison.
    One of our favorite lakes.
    Thanks for sharing.

That water is low enough I should take a trip up to find our lower unit. One of those big granite boulders reached up and snapped it off our 55hp Evinrude back in '77. I was only 7 but remember that noise like it was yesterday.

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The US military doesn’t have that problem.”

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDenton View Post
    That water is low enough I should take a trip up to find our lower unit. One of those big granite boulders reached up and snapped it off our 55hp Evinrude back in '77. I was only 7 but remember that noise like it was yesterday.

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The US military doesn’t have that problem.”
    OUCH...
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams