Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    Do you run ladder bars or something else? Turbo 400?

I'm gonna get a gear vendors at some point because I like going to some car shows and the right lane kinda sucks. lol
    Suspension wise I run the southside machine lift bars, which are now made by Lakewood if memory serves me right. It is a turbo 400 done by Leo in San Dimas at Remac trans, and in all honesty, its the best upgrade on the car, did more for driveability and time in the quarter than even the motor, rear end, etc, and efficient trans is an amazing thing. I like the idea of gear vendors if you don't have too high of a stall, but that wouldn't do me much good as I would just be burning the stall up even if I got the rpm's down, smaller stall speed no problem. 4L80E sounds like a nice deal if I ever re did everything, LS motor, etc.

Hey Hotboat,
    I am pulling it out of mothballs these days to start terrorizing Brea I stopped cruising around as much as what spare time I do have these days I usually like to have at least a drink, but in that car in that town, those things don't belong together with that police department, and also majorly bummed that the clear on the paint went from its life living outside all those years before I got my own place again, so it doesn't quite look the part anymore, but still runs how it should. One day, hopefully not too far away, I will go through and redo the car again, at least the expensive drive train stuff is all handled now, no changes necessary, but paint, redo interior, wiring, stuff like that, gotta fix my teenage fuck ups.

Quote Originally Posted by chevellesb406 View Post
    Suspension wise I run the southside machine lift bars, which are now made by Lakewood if memory serves me right. It is a turbo 400 done by Leo in San Dimas at Remac trans, and in all honesty, its the best upgrade on the car, did more for driveability and time in the quarter than even the motor, rear end, etc, and efficient trans is an amazing thing. I like the idea of gear vendors if you don't have too high of a stall, but that wouldn't do me much good as I would just be burning the stall up even if I got the rpm's down, smaller stall speed no problem. 4L80E sounds like a nice deal if I ever re did everything, LS motor, etc.
    I'm gonna need trans work at some point so I may just follow your lead on this. I considered the LS swap, but I guess I'm just too old school. I don't think I can fit a 4L80 without modifying the tunnel. My car is a real SS so I'm trying to keep from cutting or drilling anything.

I'm gonna need trans work at some point so I may just follow your lead on this. I considered the LS swap, but I guess I'm just too old school. I don't think I can fit a 4L80 without modifying the tunnel. My car is a real SS so I'm trying to keep from cutting or drilling anything.
    Yeah, there is nothing original left on my car except maybe the roof skin, and its a 307 malibu glide car originally. It had a bad accident in 72, and then I got hit head on it at the end of high school and it took a lot of time and money to get it good again. Our mutual friend Brian will tell you, like he did me, spending some money on the trans with the right guy will do more for daily driving enjoyment as well as time cuts at the track then adding 200 hp. My car is great example of this. After the 406 grenaded I built a pretty healthy street small block for it:

421 inch
    Sportsman II iron heads with 2.08 valves and some blending work
    .601/.625 cam 258/262 @50 duration
    10:1 even pump gas motor, super comp headers 3" x-pipe 3 chamber flows, full exhaust deal. It probably makes some decent power.

With a turbo 400, 2400 stall, peg leg rear end, car ran 13.7 at 118mph, in second gear
    put a locker in, 13.2
    put the rear end with 3.91 and an auburn, could get down the track, maybe 15 something that whole day almost hitting everything including the safety safari
    put drag radials on, 12.70's
    had trans work done, 11.59 at 118 mph, still haven't played with the carb, and I as well as the car need to go on a diet.

Gave me goose bumps, small block sounds very different up top, but a 3 inch x on a chevelle was mighty familiar on start up, eerie almost.

Yeah, there is nothing original left on my car except maybe the roof skin, and its a 307 malibu glide car originally. It had a bad accident in 72, and then I got hit head on it at the end of high school and it took a lot of time and money to get it good again. Our mutual friend Brian will tell you, like he did me, spending some money on the trans with the right guy will do more for daily driving enjoyment as well as time cuts at the track then adding 200 hp. My car is great example of this. After the 406 grenaded I built a pretty healthy street small block for it:

421 inch
    Sportsman II iron heads with 2.08 valves and some blending work
    .601/.625 cam 258/262 @50 duration
    10:1 even pump gas motor, super comp headers 3" x-pipe 3 chamber flows, full exhaust deal. It probably makes some decent power.

With a turbo 400, 2400 stall, peg leg rear end, car ran 13.7 at 118mph, in second gear
    put a locker in, 13.2
    put the rear end with 3.91 and an auburn, could get down the track, maybe 15 something that whole day almost hitting everything including the safety safari
    put drag radials on, 12.70's
    had trans work done, 11.59 at 118 mph, still haven't played with the carb, and I as well as the car need to go on a diet.
    It's pretty cool that you still have a car you drove back in high school. That's a decent size cam for a street car. I bet you've made a ton of passes in that thing if you add up the years. How much does it weigh? Do you run NMCA events?

It's pretty cool that you still have a car you drove back in high school. That's a decent size cam for a street car. I bet you've made a ton of passes in that thing if you add up the years. How much does it weigh? Do you run NMCA events?
    Yeah, definitely a lot of passes over the past 20 years, not nearly as much in comparison to others in the group, but definitely a ton with 4 different motors and various set ups. If memory serves me right, I believe the car comes in at 3100 lbs on the fontana scale. I haven't ran any NMCA yet, I did the summit series off and on for a few years with the guys, but I am very interested in doing a couple of events in the NMCA true street class next year for fun. I would love to finally put the nitrous on it, a lot of the build was spec'd for it, but since I won't do any of the required safety features and cut up the car, it would just be a one time thing in the end I am sure. I doubt a low 10 second pass with factory belts, no cage, that whole deal would be very welcome, I don't comply as it is. One day I would love to pull the drivetrain out of it, put it in something I don't care about, go faster, and put a 6 speed LS cruiser set up in this car and really hold onto it forever and enjoy it more, only money right?

Yeah, definitely a lot of passes over the past 20 years, not nearly as much in comparison to others in the group, but definitely a ton with 4 different motors and various set ups. If memory serves me right, I believe the car comes in at 3100 lbs on the fontana scale. I haven't ran any NMCA yet, I did the summit series off and on for a few years with the guys, but I am very interested in doing a couple of events in the NMCA true street class next year for fun. I would love to finally put the nitrous on it, a lot of the build was spec'd for it, but since I won't do any of the required safety features and cut up the car, it would just be a one time thing in the end I am sure. I doubt a low 10 second pass with factory belts, no cage, that whole deal would be very welcome, I don't comply as it is. One day I would love to pull the drivetrain out of it, put it in something I don't care about, go faster, and put a 6 speed LS cruiser set up in this car and really hold onto it forever and enjoy it more, only money right?
    3100 lbs!!!! How the hell did you get it so lite? I bet mine is north of 3500!

Yeah, going fast is just money. I'm sure the nitrous would be fun to play with.

It's hard to beat the overall package of the LS drivetrain. Go anywhere with decent mileage, dependability and performance.

3100 lbs!!!! How the hell did you get it so lite? I bet mine is north of 3500!

Yeah, going fast is just money. I'm sure the nitrous would be fun to play with.

It's hard to beat the overall package of the LS drivetrain. Go anywhere with decent mileage, dependability and performance.
    Big block to small block has to be 150 lbs or so I presume, heater core/AC maybe another 100 if you have those in yours, the vette buckets I run are a bit lighter than the original bench anything fancy aluminum along the way has to have been good for something along the way Spare tire and Jack out. That's all I have done.
    Last edited by chevellesb406; 07-27-2015 at 11:09 AM.

Big block to small block has to be 150 lbs or so I presume, heater core/AC maybe another 100 if you have those in yours, the vette buckets I run are a bit lighter than the original bench anything fancy aluminum along the way has to have been good for something along the way Spare tire and Jack out. That's all I have done.
    I have factory AC, heater core, full interior pretty much everything. I do have aluminum heads, wheels and radiator so I'm sure those things help a lot.

I'll weigh mine when I get a chance.