Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New to the forum

Hi Guys,

Im new to the forum. I am currently putting together a 1970 Weiman i purchased from a member on Socaljetboats.com

I have a friend that asked me if it was the same boat that was in a release of hotboat magazine. Thats what led me to this site.

Heres a pic of it, and ill update the thread with my progress as it comes back together

Thanks for having me

Steve welcome to www.hotboat.com, glad to have you. Your first post or two (maybe) get automatically moderated. Sorry for the inconvenience, its a spammer deal with the system. After that you're free to post at will.

That boat looks familiar, but I can't tell you if it was ever in hotboat magazine. We are not affiliated with the magazine in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    Steve welcome to www.hotboat.com, glad to have you. Your first post or two (maybe) get automatically moderated. Sorry for the inconvenience, its a spammer deal with the system. After that you're free to post at will.

That boat looks familiar, but I can't tell you if it was ever in hotboat magazine. We are not affiliated with the magazine in any way.
    Thanks for the info, i thought you might be.

Hmm ill keep searching. Cant seem to find a website for the magazine.

Thanks for the welcome, sorry abotu the double post

Previously this boat had a blown BBC, however it did not come with the engine. AND im on a SBC budget. So i figured i would meet in the middle and do what i can

Im putting an all aluminum 6.0 liter LS motor in this thing (LFA is the engine code designation). Drove up to Fresno and picked it up.

Yes, i fixed the way it was mounted on the engine stand after this pic

Pulled the motor down, and all of the bearings look brand new. This was the worst of the rod bearings
    [img width=432 height=768]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/steves86ta/Mobile%20Uploads/0125150949a_zpsypnfsdyp.jpg[/img]

All i have to say is this thing is LIGHT. The bare block weighs less than my engine stand i think.

Going to throw a couple sets of rod bearings in it (the ones i knicked when knocking the pistons out) rings, and throw it back together

Got the motor cleaned up the other day

Well Christmas is starting to get here, got most of the parts to throw the lower end together.

Still waiting on Rod bearings and piston rings, then can start throwing the lower end together.

while i was organizing everything and getting parts together, i picked up some spray paint at O'Reilly's. It is by Duplicolor and called Metal Cast. My boat has a lot of pieces that were originally Anodized but the anodize is no longer colorful. So i googled this Metalcast stuff and the results looked good online. It is a 2 step process (3 if you add clear). Needless to say, I am very impressed.

After cleaning
    Step one
    Spray what they call "ground coat" I did one light coat, followed by 2 heavy wet coats

Step two
    Spray the color coat, this stuff comes in Red, Blue, and Yellow i believe. Same process as before, 1 light coat, then 2 heavy wet coats

Then for good measure, i sprayed 3 coats of clear ontop of the red

Heres what the finished product looks like, you can see the red almost matches the anodized rub rail perfectly

And the carb bowl. Im going to break up the red with the silver (ground coat) I just cleared over the "ground coat"

The red is really hard to photograph correctly. But its a nice deep red. It almost looks like a pinkish hue in the pics

Wicked looking paint

heres the finished product, also did some valve covers

Looks like candy apple red to me. Nice!

Got the engine block painted went the same color as the carb and valve cover

Then started putting the headers together

Started with this

Ended up with this

Still have one more to do